captainsnarf

captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Hey guys! I'm CaptainSnarf aka Snarf.

I stopped playing games about 12 years ago and have been having a blast playing UT again. I used to make maps and mods for UT3 and was in the )o( clan for a little while.

I wanted to start mapping again but there is a weird bug with the ut2k4 editor.

I started working on a new vehicle mod. stay tuned :)
pooty

Re: captainsnarf

Post by pooty »

Welcome (again)!

Love to have some mapping help!

Is the bug where the editor just hammers the GPU? Mine does that occasionally, lags for 3-4 seconds while the GPU does its thing and its a pain. What set up are you running? I shouldn't have any issues with GTX 1080, and i7 CPU. I still wonder if there's some settings that help.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Yeah, it's that bug.

I tried opening MTMU-pootylicious-v10 in the editor. Clicking on a vechiclefactory freezes the editor for ~120 seconds. I have a pretty sweet setup with 32 core threadripper + rtx2070. I've tried almost every setting change and nvidia override but nothing fixes it. Other people have AMD graphics and still have the problem. Seems to be a win10/directx bug. I've tried reverting to oldest drivers and also newest drivers but no change. I think only older cards work ok.

One workaround that does work is to disable the GPU in device manager. This forces windows to use software rendering internally. It works though. The editor no longer freezes if you do this. If you have multiple monitors say goodbye to one of them working while gpu is disabled.

I tried debugging it. I've opened unrealed.exe in visual studio GPU profiler with and without gpu disabled. I was hoping to see which directx call was getting hammered but it only shows 'gpuwork' in the debugger. If I can get the debug pdbs for the drivers I might be able to figure this out. For now I can deal with the workaround. My machine is plenty fast enough that even with gpu disabled the editor seems to respond decently.
pooty

Post by pooty »

And to confirm you are using DirectX9 DLL D3D9 renderer?
For me it does it sometimes and not others..I'll try disabling the GPU and see how that goes as far as editing.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

here is my config

Code: Select all

[Engine.Engine]
RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
;RenderDevice=Engine.NullRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice
I'm using 'D3D' driver, not 'D3D9'. D3D9Drv.dll does not exist in my bin folder. Supposedly version 3369 of the game doesn't have that driver and only older versions do. Game was installed via Steam.

The editor will not load with either OpenGL or Pixo drivers selected. A message box displays saying the editor requires the directx renderer.
pooty

Post by pooty »

https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealtourname ... _computer/
Been a while since I messed with it.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Thanks! I appreciate it :)

I tried the d3d8.dll but it didn't help any unfortunately. I can keep working around it for now.
Miauz55555

Post by Miauz55555 »

Happy to forward some infos ragarding the Editor selecting bug:
http://ceonss.net/viewtopic.php?p=19756#p19756
pooty

Post by pooty »

And off topic, I see your avatar answered my question if your name was related to the Thundercats...
EmanReleipS

Post by EmanReleipS »

I ended up with a bearable selection lag after assigning custom settings to the Editor in the NVIDIA control panel. Somehow I lost those, but after a bunch of software updates, my "global settings" seem to work alright as well. Do you have an option in the settings for your gpu's software to adjust some settings there?

These were my settings back then: http://www.ceonss.net/viewtopic.php?p=10764#p10764

Also do yourself a favor and never select anything in the 3D viewport anymore, only in the 2D ones. ;)