Balancer...

Got a Glitch? Always Lagging? Need help with anything technical? Want to move off Windows XP?
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Balancer...

Post by pooty »

So here's the current config (as of now).
Changes Bolded.

bDisablePlayerClass=False
bDropChecks=True
bSelectableExits=False *Only works with stock vehicles*
bNodeHealScoreFix=True
bVehicleHealScore=False*Only works with stock vehicles*
HealValueScore=50.00000
bVehicleDamageScore=False*Only works with stock vehicles*
DamageValueScore=400.000000
bPallyShieldScore=False*Only works with stock vehicles*
PallyValueScore=200.000000
bNodeIsolateBonus=True
IsolateBonusPctPerNode=25
bAllowEnhancedRadar=True
bRestrictMissileLock=True
bDisablePreferredTeam=True
bDisablePlayerClass=False
bDisableVersionCheck=False
bDisableONSPlusTurrets=False
bDisablePreMatchTeamSwitch=True
bEnableCustomVehiclePlugins=True
bEnableWordFilter=False
bClientSendFilter=False
bFilterAdmin=False
MaxWordHits=5
MaxHitAction=HA_Kick
;MaxHitAction=HA_SessionBan
;MaxHitAction=HA_PermyBan
bFilterAdmin=False
bVehicleDistanceCheck=True
RespawnTimerDistance=2500.000000
DistanceCheckTimer=30
bRPGCompatible=False

There's quite a few options not detailed. I think we have a different version that the source code I found. 1.0 vs 1.0.1-Beta31 Ugh.
The one that makes me wonder is bEnableCustomVehiclePlugins?
It does do some goodthings too, like bDisablePreferredTeam (so you don't always join blue/red)
No idea what some of the other things are.

But could definitely skew your score, especially if you're picking off mantas in a Mino or such. Get points for the kill PLUS bonus for Damage. Making stock Manta/Raptor/Bender/Goliath kills worth more points than killing other vehicles which isn't right.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Another change to Balancer aka Even Match

[EvenMatchV2b2.MutTeamBalance]
bIgnoreBotsForTeamSize=True
MinPlayerCount=7 (This was 2 I changed it to 7)

I changed Min to 7. Not sure it really ignores the bots for counts... and it will not store PPH info for games with less than 7 players.... because we do 3v3 minium, you could have 1 player 5 bots. 7 makes it so we'd have to always have 7 humans before it stores the PPH data. This should cut down on players that play with bots, or just a couple and get wildly off PPHs (ok admit it we've all had fun spawn killing bots to Ludicrous Kill...)
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Getting rid of the damage scoring seemed to eliminate the inconsistent scoring. Just so everyone knows and SK10 doesn't get his panties in a wad, you still get frag/kill points, just not extra points for doing vehicle damage or healing friendly vehicles. Like pooty pointed out, that stuff only works for stock vehicles and the code is a mess... even snarf said no thanks to digging into it.

And now we're actually rewarding node building more again, as it should be. Onslaught was designed with higher point rewards for node building/destroying for a reason.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Sadly though and I don't know why UT developers did this, but building a node = 3pt, destroying = 5pts. At least ONSPlus helps with that, with shared linking point to even it out. To me building is just as important as destroying.

And yes, the code is messy, and I think it was a pretty good effort back in the day, to work around (*hack*) the internal engine/game stuff... just doesn't inspire that it makes the game more stable.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

This is purely anecdotal, but the balancer does seem to be doing a better job now that we turned off the highly buggy damage points feature. I think the fact that players who more aggressively build/destroy nodes are now being rewarded more highly than death matchers and tank campers is helping. Maybe it's too early to tell, but seems there's been less blowouts lately. I know the match timing is different, but they haven't seemed too one-sided.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Agreed. And even if they get terribly one side, it seems after a Mulligan its gets a better result.
leon

Post by leon »

"Stolichnaya"... 450gm... Still don't understand why two top scored players next match (Byonix then Dria 3.11.21) played in same team?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

leon wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:21 am Image
"Stolichnaya"... 450gm... Still don't understand why two top scored players next match (Byonix then Dria 3.11.21) played in same team?
That's a suspicious looking crop :)

Ah, truth is revealed :)

What is the balancer supposed to do here? Splitting those three between two teams is always going to be off.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

leon wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:21 am ...
"Stolichnaya"... 450gm...

Vodka is my go-to alcohol, I hate beer. Popov was my fav until the plague when they limited liquor store access. Then I discovered Barton's Vodka was half the price of Popov and got me just as buzzed. Now I buy it 2 cases at a time.
pooty

Post by pooty »

And keep in mind the "rankings" on the UTStats DB may or may not match the EvenMatch Stats. I'll look to see if the balancer log still exists for that match....