server tick rate

Got a Glitch? Always Lagging? Need help with anything technical? Want to move off Windows XP?
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: server tick rate

Post by pooty »

A bit. When peak gets above 50% is when previous saw things get dicey. I agree there's probably a vehicle that has issues similar to some of the ones you fixed. But overall, IMO seems like its been OK. Still waiting to see when we get 24+ players.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Bringing this back.

I think with the UTComp Code we don't need as high a tick rate, we were pushing 60% on the cpu metric from NFO, as I said anything over 45ish is when we start to see some lagging.

I might drop the tick rate and see
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

might be time for the dedicated server. 3x the price of the current server but I'll buy.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I set the tickrate to 26 (down from 28). Let see how it goes, we shouldn't have aiming issue with UTComp Added which seems like it drove up the CPU use, but we also are seeing uptick in the player count too.
pooty

Post by pooty »

From the CPU metrics it seemed the CPU was much more reasonable, and I didn't notice as much lag last night as previously. I also didn't feel aim was really affected either from the lower tick rate.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

On nevermore-pootylicious, I was in the underground part DMing a player (Talos_IV), and their movement was extremely messed up/laggy. Like 4 fps, but just them. Not sure what that was about. Otherwise things seemed much better.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

I don't know how you can reliably diagnose anything without dedicated hardware. Like Snarf, I'd help contribute to renting dedicated hardware.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

FuriousRabbit wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:44 pm I don't know how you can reliably diagnose anything without dedicated hardware. Like Snarf, I'd help contribute to renting dedicated hardware.
Time may be coming up soon for another OMNI donation drive. We could do a poll to see who might be willing to contribute to a dedicated server if everyone knew what the cost was up front, see what kind of response we get.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

We can get a dedicated server through our current hosting provider here: https://www.nfoservers.com/order-dedicated-server.php
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:00 am We can get a dedicated server through our current hosting provider here: https://www.nfoservers.com/order-dedicated-server.php
The low end option looks to be just under $1000/yr, is that correct? And would the low end dedicated be good enough?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain