ELI5 netspeed

Got a Glitch? Always Lagging? Need help with anything technical? Want to move off Windows XP?
terramerge

ELI5 netspeed

Post by terramerge »

Explain netspeed - what is it? Why is it important? How do I set it? What should I set it to?

I've seen people mention it but don't know what the deal is.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: ELI5 netspeed

Post by pooty »

https://www.utzone.de/forum/showthread.php?t=4326

Basically its the speed your client wants to connect to the server. By Default its 10000. There's an engine limitation that at that caps the framerate (fps) at 85. Setting netspeed to 10001+ will allow you get get (if your computer/video supports) more fps, I can usually see between 100-144 fps if I do that.

That being said, it doesn't seem to affect gameplay much, and you can have too much netspeed the server caps it anyway to keep too many people from setting netspeed to 20000 and overwhelming the server network.
Rando

Post by Rando »

moar fps! open console with ~ key and type netspeed=15000 (or keybind it)
infinitecat

Post by infinitecat »

I tried the netspeed thing. Bupkis.
Provert
Server Sponsor: Yes

Post by Provert »

You have to change the "MaxClientFrameRate=" in your UT2004.ini file to whatever you want your max frame rate to be for it to work. Also, if you have a fancy monitor, make sure you have everything for the higher fps turned on. I use AMD, so I have Freesync turned on, and my monitor is a 144hz, so my windows setting is set to 144. And, you'll have to type in the netspeed at the beginning of every round or keybind it like tater said.
infinitecat

Post by infinitecat »

Provert wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:44 pm You have to change the "MaxClientFrameRate=" in your UT2004.ini file to whatever you want your max frame rate to be for it to work. Also, if you have a fancy monitor, make sure you have everything for the higher fps turned on. I use AMD, so I have Freesync turned on, and my monitor is a 144hz, so my windows setting is set to 144. And, you'll have to type in the netspeed at the beginning of every round or keybind it like tater said.
I know some of those words.