Randomizer maps still not right

Got a Glitch? Always Lagging? Need help with anything technical? Want to move off Windows XP?
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Randomizer maps still not right

Post by McLovin »

Tater wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:23 pm ...
More than likely has to do with my current bad internet.
What internet provider are you using, and do you have a choice of more than one?

I basically have 2 choices, Comcast and DSL. There are some line-of-sight popup companies around but I've never looked at them seriously.

I had Comcast and DSL running side by side for a few months. Comcast bragged about how high their throughput was, but it was never steady, it was all over the place. It was so bad I couldn't reliably stream video content. My DSL ran slower but it was rock solid day or night.
Provert

Post by Provert »

Enyo wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:19 am
I know next to nothing to be able to help you out Provert, but why is it nobody else seems to have this issue?
Plenty of others have the issue. Everytime you see a playerxx where the xx are numbers, it is someone who could not join and kept trying like I do. You only see that on Randomizer maps. Tater just pointed out he had a disconnection on a randomizer map, too. Just trying to figure out why it's happening. I guess the others don't care enough to say something. If it is something on my end, I'd like to fix it. But it is sounding more and more like one of the vehicles is causing the issue. I posted the time as it was the last round of the map and maybe pooty could narrow down what vehicles were in play. it only happens when a randomizer map is in play and I am trying to join the server. If I am already on the server and a randomizer map is voted, I never have an issue.

Tater, yes. I have reinstalled this about 4 times in the last few years this has been happening, with one or two of those being because I did a fresh windows install. I played around with the win10 version last night and it seemed stable, so we'll see if I still have intermittent issues joining when randomizer maps are in play. And that's the frustrating part, it's intermittent. I can join most of the time, but then there's a time I can't join until I my fifth or sixth time, or I can never join until the map is played out.
Provert

Post by Provert »

McLovin wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:29 pm
What internet provider are you using, and do you have a choice of more than one?

I basically have 2 choices, Comcast and DSL. There are some line-of-sight popup companies around but I've never looked at them seriously.

I had Comcast and DSL running side by side for a few months. Comcast bragged about how high their throughput was, but it was never steady, it was all over the place. It was so bad I couldn't reliably stream video content. My DSL ran slower but it was rock solid day or night.
If it was my internet, I'd have issues on all maps and all servers. This issue is only with randomizer maps on omni. Like tonight, I could not join with 32bit, but could with 64bit. The problem with 64bit is all the vehicles only play the idle sound while driving around. It looks amazing, but sound slike shit.
Tater

Post by Tater »

McLovin wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:29 pm
Well the main problem I have is I can either play with a wired connection or longer distance wireless in my home. Haven't ran wires or done any special cat5's throughout the house, and where I work isn't where the router is. I have a great fiber optic connection when wired, but my wireless just doesn't deliver; I could create solutions but it hasn't bothered me enough yet lol.

Provert, what windows are you running? Maybe you could poke at changing your UT.exe to run in a different compatibility under its properties.
Another problem I ran into was my color depth setting in UT defaulting to 16-bit... caused me to crash multiple times a few months ago until I finally set it to 32. Maybe worth looking at?
Also when I used to use the 64 bit I could not alt-tab out of UT, click on my second monitor, or have any notifications pop up else it would cause my game to crash.
From what it sounds like it's a specific vehicle / file you're pulling from the server, and your UT doesn't know how to handle it so it crashes. Are you installing from an original disc or grabbing an iso or other install from the web?
pooty

Post by pooty »

last round of the map and maybe pooty could narrow down what vehicles were in play.
There's no "record" of what vehicles actually get spawned. Its random at round start and isn't stored anywhere. And all the vehicles are "loaded" by the map whether they actually get spawned or not. The randomizer code isn't all that fancy (its quite clever) but its not doing anything that should cause an impact.

So, it could be a particular vehicle, which is why I asked if the loadout map works fine?
Is it all the randomizers or just particular ones? Each of them have a different vehicle mix.
So, we know it was Arctic Randomizer, others? Maybe we can narrow down a difference in vehicles by map.
And does it only happen on the server correct, not locally?

The other variable, is UT config/Hardware... I don't think I've ever had the issue and many don't and several do... So lets see what config/HW others that have it are running.

Its a tricky thing to debug...I remember a few years ago, I had issues with UT and it was that the *newer* NVIDIA driver was buggy as shit for the older stuff...
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Provert wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:03 pm Plenty of others have the issue. Everytime you see a playerxx where the xx are numbers, it is someone who could not join and kept trying like I do. You only see that on Randomizer maps...

I guess the others don't care enough to say something.
You're making a complete assumption there without any evidence other than player names showing as "Playerxx." And I can say with proof that's not true, there are several reasons players' names might show that way. There are several players that play here regularly using only "Playerxx" as their name. I've run a whois command on multiple players where ALL of their aliases show as "Playerxx." Some people do it just to be a douche, and it does happen on maps that are not randomizer.

I've had it happen to me before where I left a match, then rejoined where my regular player name still showed on my old team roster, but I'm on the opposing team with "Playerxx" as my name. Must be some glitch as I've witnessed it happen with other players too.

I've literally never had a problem joining any map other than the ones where EVERYONE had an issue due to vehicle file name mismatches. I have yet to hear this issue from any other player, and Tater's situation did not sound like the same problem.

Not trying to be a dick here, it just sounds to me like it's something with either your rig or UT installation as this problem does not seem like a widespread one. I'll believe otherwise when we hear the same from others. I do know Xexx has connection issues sometimes, but he hasn't said it's map specific.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Provert

Post by Provert »

Windows 10.0.19043. I am wired diectly to my router. I am using COX. I could get ATT or some other third party, but they are all capped at 18MBs, and you won't get that even if you try. I switched to ATT shortly after we moved here because I thought COX might be the issue but had the same issues, just slower connection. Streaming sucked, so we back to COX.

The 64bit version seems very stable, but the sound is junky. Most vehicles only sound like they are at idle when you are driving around and there is no fix for it as the 64bit version was an after thought and never fully developed. You only have the one audio selection and I've seen other threads where they stried activating it through the ini file and it still won't show as an option. So, I might let it ride and see if I can get past the sound not being right and see what happens. Even on the 32bit I have tried the various rendering options and they all crash sometimes when joining a randomizer map. What I might do is join in 32bit unless it is a randomizer map. Then, when the randomizer map is finished, leave and rejoin on the 32 bit. As I've said, if I am already on the server, it won't crash if we vote one of those maps.

Been running with the PC info listed during gaming, so I can see my CPU hitting about 45ish and running at 4.3GHz during gaming, so there is no throttling there. My RX480 sits at about 35 degrees and is mostly 0% usage with spikes here and there of usage. I can't see spending 2k on a new card right now, so I'll wait. The CPU has an AIO on it now, but I am going to go full custom liquid cooled here shortly. My German radiator will finally be here on Monday and I managed to find a waterblock for the RX480 in China...lol When I do, I was planning on starting from scratch with a fresh windows install and I might move from the 3700X to the 5950 along with bumping my RAM from 32GB to 64GB for faster photo and video editing, so we'll see what happens.
leon

Post by leon »

(sorry for my English)
I don’t think it’s internet. I started to play approximately a year ago and first month I didn’t have internet at home. I took an USB cable and connected my phone to the laptop. I had Verizon unlimited. A little high ping but no problems with maps. Only recently when I tried to connect to updated maps I had “package mismatch” (one time “helix” another “csnukelink”). I didn’t know what to do I’m not computer guy. Then I found all files with those names in system folder and removed them and all good now.
And I don’t think it’s hardware. I use my old 2014 laptop and everything is pretty good. Just sometimes the game has crashed. Enyo asked me why I disconnect sometimes 20-30 seconds before new match. I do it because my laptop fan starts running like crazy and I let it cool a little I don’t want to brake it.
My game from gog.com editors choice edition and I use windows 7 (windows 10 running slow on my laptop).
Provert

Post by Provert »

Everytime there is a map with the CSlinknuke, I have to delete the files for it as there is a mismatch in order to join. I am using that fancy cache extrator someone posted a link to recently, UT2K4CE_msvc. I was using another cache extractor before that and still had the problems joining randomizer maps, but not since the CSlinknuke has been added.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yes, its best for the small files like CSLinkNuke and the vehicles just to let them cache, or else you have to manually update them, hence the version mismatch. Especially for stuff that we are actively working on/changing, like new vehicles/weapons...they might change several times in a week till they get released.