Package 'XXXX' version mismatch..

Got a Glitch? Always Lagging? Need help with anything technical? Want to move off Windows XP?
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Package 'XXXX' version mismatch..

Post by pooty »

So for those of you who download the package .u files to test/play with, when you join the server if the version locally does NOT match what's on the server UT will complain with
Package 'XXXX' version mismatch and won't join.
You need to remove/rename the XXXX.u file from your system directory and reconnect.

Alternatively, we could start renaming these packages with version numbers BUT then if we change a package, we have to then manually update all the maps which is a huge pain.

Maybe we should have an convention of packagename-TEST.u and then the final release could be packagename.u So that people would know the TEST file is going to change (possibly frequently) and that items without test should be fairly stable.
Miauz55555

Re: Package 'XXXX' version mismatch..

Post by Miauz55555 »

When you change files, please always rename them. .. .. Please NEVER change a file which is found in any download anywhere on the web without changing the name to something unique.

1. Other servers will have problems when you have changed files without renaming them.
2. Demos made with a version, will not be able to watch with any other version with the same name.
3. Removing files from the system folder is no option because of 1., and if you do mapping.
4. For real it's, not cool.

Put something like "omnioverride_Packagename.*" in the name, so others will know that you just override that files.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

That's one of the benefits of embedding them in the map. It avoids this issue since the map is the new package.

I have a few mods out with different versions, but they are all the same name. I don't believe they've been used outside of omni servers and I haven't released them anywhere but these forums. Hopefully it's not an issue. I don't think anyone is using the old versions.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Miauz55555 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:43 pm When you change files, please always rename them
Yup, learned this years ago at work. We never redefine something that has been deployed. We stuff them with plenty of spares up front and use those first if new things are added later. If a complete redesign is needed then we retire the old element and create a new one, but never ever reuse something that has sailed. Sometimes we will retire old elements, never to be used again. There is always some user somewhere that you don't know about, or couldn't possibly imagine will still be up and running years/decades later that still uses the old original element and it will crash them if you redefine something.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Miauz55555 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:43 pm When you change files, please always rename them. .. .. Please NEVER change a file which is found in any download anywhere on the web without changing the name to something unique.

1. Other servers will have problems when you have changed files without renaming them.
2. Demos made with a version, will not be able to watch with any other version with the same name.
3. Removing files from the system folder is no option because of 1., and if you do mapping.
4. For real it's, not cool.

Put something like "omnioverride_Packagename.*" in the name, so others will know that you just override that files.
Yes, with a few caveats..
1. All packages we've changed/created either have a brand new name, or we've changed it.. for example HelixESV.u became omniHelixESV.u or APVERIV.u became CSAPVERIV.u Definitely won't want it to conflict with stuff that's already out there..that would be pretty awful.

2. On Omni specific packages, several which are underdevelopment, likely will change a few times as we work out bugs. Even with out fully staffed QA department things need to get changed...lol. Which was the point of this post, if some of the folks downloaded it to try it and then we updated it.

I suggested the -TEST moniker so that once something is stable you could be reasonable assured you could download it. I don't worry too much about mappers--they know what this means and how to fix it. Generally my TEST maps use embedding for testing things out, its the after 1.0 release that seems to be the issue.

The biggest reason for NOT embedding (see Badger problem) is that when you want to change a vehicle/weapon, you then have to updated every item on every map.. and then there's multiple versions of the same thing running around and often you don't know what's what...
Provert

Post by Provert »

Every time I try to join that has the CSlinknuke, I have to delete it in order to join. Tonight I also had to delete CSaperiv files. Doesn't matter if I use the cahche extractor or not. Doesn't matter if I use the 32 bit or 64 bit. What is the fix for this????
The best thing is to just let the cache do it its thing. That being said, they haven't changed in at least a week, so you shouldn't be getting that message unless you have an old version in your system directory. If the version is wrong is cache, it automatically pulls the new version...it will NOT update your system directory so if you keep them there you have to do it manually.

Both CSLinkNuke and CSapveriv aren't going to change anytime soon I think Snarf has gotten them where we want them to be...
Provert

Post by Provert »

Well, I let them download, left, and came back and it still gave the message for both. I would delete the cslinknuke first, and this CSaperiv just started last night. I tried this with and without caching. The only way I could join was to delete the three files associated with each, six total.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

If you are still having problems, the latest and most likely last versions of these packages are here:

CSAPverIV_1.2.zip
CSLinkNuke_1.3.zip

Put the .u files in your ut2004\system folder and should be good to go.

If you *still* have problems it means there are different versions on the server, like maybe one map has linknuke_1.2 embedded in it and another uses 1.3 not embedded?

If I ever remake them again I will use different package names to avoid this.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Also, the latest .u are always on the redirect: http://www.omnipotents.com/omni-ut2004-redirect/

You can download and uncompress with ucc decompress (in your UT system folder)