Scoring Config Poll Results...

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Scoring Config Poll Results...

Post by pooty »

So voting is still open but it seems:
1. Mulligan = Yes
2. Scoring 2pt Victory (so either a 2pt win or 2 OT wins)
3. Slower Core drain.

I'll propose if we do 2pts, we make the match time longer than the current 10 minutes (+3 min core drain). Maybe 12-15 min, plus 3-4 min core drain. Before you scream that's too long, presently 5 round match is 5 x 13 = 1hr 5 min, if you had 3 rd max at 15+3, is only 54 mins, so ten minutes max less. And very likely it wouldn't last that long.

Maybe leave the voting up for another week?
McLovin

Re: Scoring Config Poll Results...

Post by McLovin »

Unless you get at least 30+ people voting I wouldn't consider these poll results useful for anything. We had a total of 6, 7, and 9 votes for the 3 polls I saw. Not enough people are voting.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

McLovin wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:19 pm Unless you get at least 30+ people voting I wouldn't consider these poll results useful for anything. We had a total of 6, 7, and 9 votes for the 3 polls I saw. Not enough people are voting.
Well, it's better than no data, and if people want their opinions to be heard then they should get their asses in here and say so. I don't give any weight whatsoever to the people that whine during games about stuff and never bother coming to the forum.

I like pooty's proposal based off the polling. I think we'll get more maps in that way and with fewer slogs. I agree with making the match time a little longer, I'd say start with 12 min regulation and 4 min OT. We can always increase it from there if the matches feel a little too short. And I wouldn't make the mulligan reset any faster than 4-5 min. Any longer than that and you start feeling a bit ripped off for a well fought 2 pt victory.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

So current config is
GoalScore = 3 (3 pts to win match)
TimeLimit = 10 (10 min regulation)
CoreDrain = 35 (35 a second, core has 5000 health normally) so around 2.5 minutes of OT
Mulligan = 0 (off)

So 5 round match = 1 hr or so. 3 round = 38 mins.

So thoughts on this, as Enyo suggested
GoalScore = 2
TimeLimit = 12
CoreDrain = 20 (4.1 mins)
Mulligan = 5 minutes

3 OT Rounds = 48 mins. (53 with Mulligan)
Most would probably end sooner, 2 rounds or faster.
Only downsides are
2pt match changes the map, no do over if its < mulligan time. Which if you think about it should be fine, on most tank maps, as they take a bit to get a 2 pointer, and if you get one that fast the balancer has probably screwed up and put Enyo, Leon, Terramerge, SK10 all on the same team.
Small maps might trigger the mulligan (TAL, MB) or just last one round. This is probably, IMO, the real drawback.

Now, I wonder if we can write a mutator that changes the scoring limit (we cannot AFAIK change the built in scoring of 1pt for OT, 2 pt Regulation). And then we could set that mutator by map..rather I think it would have to be a server actor much like the Randomizer, so we could set it by map...I don't know if we can programatically change those values without changing the .ini file itself. There's admin commands to do it, so maybe we can automate it....

The other alternative was this
GoalScore = 2
TimeLimit = 2
CoreDrain = 8 (10.5 mins)
Mulligan = 0
This might give you the best of three. But you really can't get 2pt win, its all OT, core damage seals the deal, secures a win.
Or even just go all out and Core Drain starts immediately. A mismatched team would always get second round to compete, and if was still mismatched it should be over fairly quick.
CoreDrain = 5 (16 mins) roughly the same overall time limit with no core damage done...and MAX 3 rounds of any map.

Might be worth implementing both and see how it plays on a given night.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Found this: https://github.com/CrushaKRool/ut2k4_mu ... normalizer
So we could make any win 1pt.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Core has 5000 health, huh. Never knew that. I wish we could see the actual HP value instead of whittled down to a 0-100 number. The near-draw results would make more sense then.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:30 pm Found this: https://github.com/CrushaKRool/ut2k4_mu ... normalizer
So we could make any win 1pt.
Do it! It would making scoring like *every* other competitive game and normalize how long matches are. No more 5 round slogs of MTMU. At most it would be 3.

Why even have 2 pts for regular and 1 for OT? Incentivize scoring quickly? but not too quick or you get a mulligan? It's just dumb. I think they did it so people wouldn't play defensive and turtle all match. I don't think it has that affect though. The only incentive I see people try to score quickly for is to get the long-ass slog over with, not for score.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yes. I am trying to get my head around either using the Mutator, or just setting up low minute (1-4) regulation and long slow core drain (10-14 minutes). With Goal score of 2. If there's no reason to "be a 2 point team", then just setting up core drain from the start works, making it slow. At that point what good is regulation time? No need for another mutator. Most matches end up in OT core drain anyway.

Maybe 4 minute regulation, 4 minute mulligan, 10 minute OT, 2pt victory. Mulligan accounts for really bad teams.
Or just as I said above:
2 minute regulation, 12 minute OT. No need for mulligan, 2pt victory, max match length 46 mins, heck you could even go 2 / 10. Max match length 36 mins.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Anyone object to making the scoring 2 pts victory?
Either:
4 minute regulation, 4 minute mulligan, 10 minute OT, Mulligan accounts for really bad teams.
Or
2 minute regulation, 12 minute OT. No need for mulligan.

This would let us play more maps. I can hear it now, that people might not like the chance of a satisfying 2pt victory taken away, but the 2pt victory is often elusive. Most often it gets to OT, and this eliminates #5moarrounds slog fests.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:31 am Anyone object to making the scoring 2 pts victory?
Either:
4 minute regulation, 4 minute mulligan, 10 minute OT, Mulligan accounts for really bad teams.
Or
2 minute regulation, 12 minute OT. No need for mulligan.

This would let us play more maps. I can hear it now, that people might not like the chance of a satisfying 2pt victory taken away, but the 2pt victory is often elusive. Most often it gets to OT, and this eliminates #5moarrounds slog fests.
Not sure I like it, something maybe doesn't make sense about it... would you still get 2pts for a regulation win?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain