Scoring Config Poll Results...

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Scoring Config Poll Results...

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:14 pm So there was some talk last night about enabling the Mulligan for a 2pt victory... after our team rolled with precision on MB, taking out their tank and building 6/3 for core smackdown. The Mulligan wouldn't happen too often, since on most maps we play getting 2pts in 4 minutes is a challenge. The ones where its possible are the smaller maps..
I think it'd be a good idea:
1. It would reshuffle teams
2. You still get the fun of playing the ass whooping 2pt round, but get a chance to replay the map.
3. Assuming after the mulligan it went to max time, it would only be ~46 minutes so not too long.
This was the one down side I was afraid of with regulation time being so short. What would you set the mulligan to, 2 min? That then leaves only a 2 min window to get 2 pts. Or are you saying a mulligan for a 2pt victory period on the first round? So, then after the teams reshuffle, there's still a potential for a quick 2 pt victory?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
leon

Post by leon »

A lot of players leaving the game if match is too long especially from loosing team. I’d like not playing more than 40 minutes. And in this way we can play more new maps. Like Tater said it’s getting bored to play same 4 maps every day.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

leon wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:32 pm A lot of players leaving the game if match is too long especially from loosing team. I’d like not playing more than 40 minutes. And in this way we can play more new maps. Like Tater said it’s getting bored to play same 4 maps every day.
This was kinda the whole point of switching up the scoring. And what do you know, we played several not normally played maps tonight, one of which I've literally never played called Frostbite.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Or are you saying a mulligan for a 2pt victory period on the first round? So, then after the teams reshuffle, there's still a potential for a quick 2 pt victory?
Yes that's how it works.
Say first round, Red team gets the luck of the balancer gods and gets Enyo, Tater, Leon, Xexx and Terramerge, Blue Team gets SK10H, Noob1, Noob2, noob3. Red wins in 3:45s. 2pts Mulligan kicks in and reshuffles.
Second Round: Red team gets Tater, Leon, Xexx, Terramerage, SK10H and Blue gets Enyo, Noob1, Noob2, Noob3 Red wins in 3:58s, 2 pts, Match over. Next map.
So with Mulligan on you're guaranteed at least two rounds, and it ONLY works on the first round; so say its 1-0, and the next round the 0 team squeaks out a 2pt victory, there's no mulligan so match win 2-1 (which I think happened the other night).

WRT to timing, you have to work pretty efficiently to get a 4 minute win, even on the small maps, there's no reason unless teams are really whacked to not be able to hold off for OT.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I think there's still an adjustment period, as OT happens much sooner, but once you realize the core drain gives you plenty of time to flip the map back and win. And IMO, it makes actual core hits quite valuable.
leon

Post by leon »

Enyo. It’s easy to explain why we played these 3 not regular maps. We just didn’t have people on the server. And we didn’t want to play big maps. Torlan we started with 3 people. Same Frostbite. And next map was random. We finished Frostbite with 4 people and we just forgot to vote. But then more people joined and you started to play old maps again.
And yesterday I joined at the end of the JY (58 minutes game). Then we played Minus, after that Minus again, after that Minus again then people voted for Minus again but fortunately Gunshop won.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So as a test run I turned the mullligan on last night, 4 minutes. We actually hit it twice, once on AJY and once on Alien Hop. Surprisingly most people voiced their opinion that they did NOT like it. Even though it would have mean the AJY map would have lasted 3 mins 30s (subsequently it went 2-1; so IMO the mulligan did its job), and AH didn't matter, reshuffle teams were still bad and lost 2-0 in next round.

Personally I think we should leave it on, I think it would be a bummer to have your favorite map come up and play it for < 4 mins and move on. The most the mulligan extends a map is 4 mins. Even with it I bet averge match now is ~20-30 mins tops vs. 40+ before.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:25 am ...
Personally I think we should leave it on, I think it would be a bummer to have your favorite map come up and play it for < 4 mins and move on.
Agree. If they don't like it, they should get their asses in the forums and say so. Comments during play don't mean shit.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

McLovin wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:28 pm
pooty wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:25 am ...
Personally I think we should leave it on, I think it would be a bummer to have your favorite map come up and play it for < 4 mins and move on.
Agree. If they don't like it, they should get their asses in the forums and say so. Comments during play don't mean shit.
I disagree McLovin that comments during game don't mean shit. I always enjoy Fuckin Termi comments.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

I think the mulligan is necessary with the new timing config. Last night we had a 3-1/2 min 2 pt blowout on MB due to bad balancing, the mulligan kicked in and the match lasted 2 rounds for about another 16 min. Gives the balancer a 2nd chance to do a better job and keeps the map from being over too quickly.

And now matches are averaging <25 min with very few maxing out at ~40 min. Much more palatable than the previous hour long slogs. And now there's more incentive to get core hits in OT with the slow countdown.

Oh yeah... FKN TERMI!
― Mark Twain