Scoring Config Poll Results...

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Scoring Config Poll Results...

Post by pooty »

You would get 2pts for regulation win, but it would be highly unlikely, nearly impossible in scenario 2. It does more or less get rid of the need to win in regulation since any win is effectively 1pt.

You'd get a minimum of 2 rounds (so victory is 2pts, so 2-0 or 2-1), max of 3. So today, you can have minimum of 2 rounds max of 5.
The goal here is to avoid 1hr+ matches, and 5 round matches.

Its really a trade off for a longer round, but only needing 2 pts to win, so Max of 3 rounds per Match. I think we want to avoid the 2pt 1 round match win...or do we?

We could keep the current timings, and use the mutator to get only 1 pt victories.
Either way, this would make matches max length shorter by about 20 mins. (3 x 14 = 42 mins vs. 5 x 13 = 1hr 5 min). Most would be much shorter and more maps..played in a night. Think a 2 round match would be 28 minutes or less.

I think its good, if we want to play more maps vs. 1hr of Dria, 1hr of Desert, 1hr of Minus, then nighty-night. Personally I'd like to play more maps vs 5 round matches.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:25 pm ...
I think its good, if we want to play more maps vs. 1hr of Dria, 1hr of Desert, 1hr of Minus, then nighty-night. Personally I'd like to play more maps vs 5 round matches.
Sounds good to me.

Any updates on my standing complaint about idle players at beginning of matches? I've seen a few matches start where 2 or more players have left the building while they are still in-game. The essentially fucks everyone because a team with 2 players idle is a handicap that is almost impossible to come back from. All hands on deck soldier.

I would love to see a 30 second idle auto kick feature. All those excuses about I need to go pee or grab a beer are BS in my opinion. I regularly exit the game at the end of an exhausting match, rejoin if I can as spectate, then I go grab a smoke break and come back later. Many have devised ways to get the auto-kick to work by running over teammates with vehicles so they die. Good luck getting a consensus on a kick vote. Shooting them in the face while they are idle is silly. And by the time someone complains loud enough to get an admin's attention, now you have 3 or more players consumed with disposing of your idlers.
Tater

Post by Tater »

McLovin wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:26 pm
I would love to see a 30 second idle auto kick feature. All those excuses about I need to go pee or grab a beer are BS in my opinion. I regularly exit the game at the end of an exhausting match, rejoin if I can as spectate, then I go grab a smoke break and come back later.
I always thought it was funny OMNI had a spectator idle kick, but not a player idle kick lol. Been auto-kicked multiple times from spec because I went to grab a drink or answer a call.
pooty

Post by pooty »

There is a player idle kick...but it doesn't always work. If you open the Esc menu I think lets you sit there.... and worse yet, it WILL kick you if you spend too much time typing in the ~ console. I had it happen to me, while admining lol.

I'll double check the next time I am in the config to see if there's any additional tweaks.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

pooty wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:36 pm There is a player idle kick...but it doesn't always work. If you open the Esc menu I think lets you sit there.... and worse yet, it WILL kick you if you spend too much time typing in the ~ console. I had it happen to me, while admining lol.

I'll double check the next time I am in the config to see if there's any additional tweaks.
Yes, if you open the menu and leave it open, you will not get kicked. Even if you don't move the mouse cursor, you won't get kicked.
pooty

Post by pooty »

It also doesn't seem to kick you right a match start.
I tested it. Joined a new match, clicked nothing, moved nothing, 2 mins still sitting there..even the UT timeout doesn't seem to work in that case.

Back on topic.
Scoring.
I think going to 2pt victories, max three rounds, would be good.
4 minute Regulation, 10.4 minute OT, No mulligan.
This gives you a chance for a dramatic match win with 2 pt fast victory (almost like a mulligan except you get the dub).
And keep in mind most of our matches (like last night) end up in OT anyway. This gives you at least 2 rounds, but if you can't win at least one of those, there isn't (IMO) any reason to play a 3rd if you've already gotten beaten twice...better to just move on to the next map. In fact, I've seen several who were sandbagging to the point where they almost get kicked, but hard to blame lack of enthusiasm if you've lost twice..

So shorter slog fests, more maps.

I'll look to make the change tonight and we can see how it goes.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Since I was in the .ini file, I went and changed the scoring as follows:
2pt victory
4 minute regulation, 10.4 minute OT (very slow core drain), no Mulligan.

If we don't like it I can easily change it back.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:25 pm Since I was in the .ini file, I went and changed the scoring as follows:
2pt victory
4 minute regulation, 10.4 minute OT (very slow core drain), no Mulligan.

If we don't like it I can easily change it back.
I actually like it, kinda surprised how much I like it. Seems to motivate people to work together a little harder to keep nodes. I definitely much prefer max 3 rounds. Nevermore didn't feel like a forever match, and no matches felt too short. I say we keep testing the new scoring and core drain out to make sure, but so far so good IMO.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yes, I wasn't sure when I first started playing how the OT would work out, if it would get a team to a "hopeless" situation that dragged on..but it did not. In fact I think it was the reverse, most of the rounds were fairly close, since what used to be an insurmountable lead (20 core points) is now easily reversible if you take the map back. That is if you're up say 80-60, round isn't over..you can still win. Even on MB, that last round we had 6 core points left vs 50ish which was enough time had we built a primary and attacked the core, could have been a victory... And Nevermore, that one went back and forth several times...and could with the right teamwork gone either way.
I didn't feel like there was a match where I sat going.. Ok, this is going to be 10 minutes of pointless playing..
I think the longest match was about 40 minutes. Longest occurs when neither side ever gets core hits, most were shorter.
I also think the motivation to keep/build nodes was more -- its OT, that free node needs to be fully built--it counts vs. its regulation and who cares let it build.

I did get a chuckle out of FuriousRabbit's whining...without any sort of justification...he just didn't like the change... he seemed to be the only one that didn't like it, well I guess except Azael wanted his hour of dria.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So there was some talk last night about enabling the Mulligan for a 2pt victory... after our team rolled with precision on MB, taking out their tank and building 6/3 for core smackdown. The Mulligan wouldn't happen too often, since on most maps we play getting 2pts in 4 minutes is a challenge. The ones where its possible are the smaller maps..
I think it'd be a good idea:
1. It would reshuffle teams
2. You still get the fun of playing the ass whooping 2pt round, but get a chance to replay the map.
3. Assuming after the mulligan it went to max time, it would only be ~46 minutes so not too long.