Alder Lake

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
Anonymous.

Alder Lake

Post by Anonymous. »

Intel is due to release its 12th generation CPUs, which look extremely promising in the single-threaded department. This is good news for us, since UT2004 is extremely CPU-bound (low FPS in maps like MTMU). I am personally looking forward to this and might purchase if it meets my criteria (CSM support, low DRAM latency, among others).

Provert
Server Sponsor: Yes

Re: Alder Lake

Post by Provert »

just curious, but when I am running statistics while on the server, I see my GPU getting hit much harder than my CPU. Like 80-100% vs 20%. Now, I understand I have a CPU that does not have built in graphics (5950x), but shouldn't the CPU still be getting harder than that if what you say is true?
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

https://www.brendangregg.com/blog/2017- ... wrong.html

CPU usage readouts are extremely misleading and incorrect. For example, Windows counts logical processors as physical processors when SMT/HT is enabled. UT2004 only uses one core, so your CPU usage % would be 1/logical processors:
  • 1/8=.125 or 12.5% on an eight-core CPU with no SMT, half of 12.5% if SMT is enabled
As you can see, enabling SMT makes your CPU usage drop in half, but you did not actually double the number of cores you have.

If you want better performance while playing UT2004, you should disable SMT through UEFI to ensure UT2004 always gets an entire core to itself. If all you do is game, SMT will only hurt your gaming performance since you already have sixteen cores. If you have an nVidia card, you should definitely disable Threaded Optimization in the 3D settings menu of the driver control panel.
Provert

Post by Provert »

I had read abut disabling SMT before. I know I tired it before, but I cannot remember if I disabled it on this last fresh reload. I just figured it was because my RX480 is old as hell and has to work much harder to keep....lol

Thanks for replying!
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

You should be fine with an RX480, it's perfectly powerful to run UT2004. Maybe if you are running 4K then it might be struggling, but I don't have firsthand experience with such a high resolution. I had a GTX 970 and I was getting 250 FPS capped in most scenarios in UT2004, with the CPU being the bottleneck almost always due to high action (many players moving around, shooting, etc.).

I think your issue might be that newer GPUs such as an RX480 downclock themselves because they see that UT2004 is a low load scenario which may be why you are seeing such high GPU usage (lower clock speeds = higher usage %, applies to CPU, GPU, anything). There are ways to set desired clock speeds using software such as the Radeon control panel in the case of AMD GPUs.
Provert

Post by Provert »

Yeah, I've played aroudn with MSI Afterburner. Now that I am on a custom loop, I've found I can push the RX480 to about 1500Mhz (stock is 1300) and the memory from 2000 to 2175. I also had Radeon set to push the GPU, but have switched it to the CPU to see if I get any less glitches.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

https://wccftech.com/intel-alder-lake-c ... ck-cooler/

This would be a really good performer for a UT server such as Omni where we have 32 players running around :)