old tricks

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: old tricks

Post by captainsnarf »

Multiple linkgun links increases the multiplier not the value.

The multiplier doesn't depend on if the links are in series or parallel. This is a myth. Two guys linking another guy vs all three in a line is the same multiplier. The main reason to link in series is strategic - to spread out so you don't get multi killed.

Since multiple links guns increase the multiplier not the value, it's better to have a link vehicle at the front since they usually have a damage higher value (which is then multiplied).

The multiplier is 1.5, so 2 guys linked counts as 3. This is true of vehicles too (including linkatron!). A player linking linkatron will cause linkatron to do 3x damage. Multiple players linking linkatron...probably broken OP heh.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

captainsnarf wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:19 am Multiple linkgun links increases the multiplier not the value.
Is a myth or is it true that the 1st guy linking the node get more points? Sarge used to bitch at me whenever I jumped in front of his link gun. Said I was stealing his points. I was doing it just to make sure the node was getting linked. When I discovered his displeasure all the time, I'd do it just to piss him off even more, LOL
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

McLovin wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:22 am Is a myth or is it true that the 1st guy linking the node get more points? Sarge used to bitch at me whenever I jumped in front of his link gun. Said I was stealing his points. I was doing it just to make sure the node was getting linked. When I discovered his displeasure all the time, I'd do it just to piss him off even more, LOL
At one point in the past only the front linker got points, and that's why Sarge got pissed if you jumped in front. Now points are shared among linkers but not sure if the front guy gets more, pooty might be able to answer that.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

The guy linking the node gets *all* the points. The linkers don't get anything. The ONSPlus mutator that's running on the server might change that but I'm not sure without digging into it also.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:50 am The guy linking the node gets *all* the points. The linkers don't get anything. The ONSPlus mutator that's running on the server might change that but I'm not sure without digging into it also.
The mutator is definitely distributing node pts to secondary linkers. Just not sure what the mathematical distribution is. Pooty can shed light on that.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yes ONSPlus distributes the linking points, when using the link gun, the score is shared evenly with the players according to ONSPlus. Often the first linker gets a point more usually because they started first. It is supposed to work same on Node Destruction too, but I suspect that doesn't always work.

The way it works in ONSPlus "replaces" the stock weapons/vehicles (much like Snarf's Badger fix) with the mutator. But ONSPlus doesn't know about the 50+ custom vehicles....
leon

Post by leon »

First gets more points 100% and I don't like guys who jump in front of me especially when I already several seconds linking the node. It's not because I want more points it's because those guys don't care about the win they just need high score. Usually good players like Enyo SK and others don't do it and very often we start linking each other instead of the node because we don't care about 1 point.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Sometimes when attacking a node (where there are a lot of people), attack it with your link alt fire. Enemies will sometimes ignore you in the frenzy, thinking you're a teammate helping to build it.