old tricks

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

old tricks

Post by captainsnarf »

What are the old tricks? I forget.

Shield jumps, shield to fall, wall jumps, what else?

AVRiL turns sharper if you don't right click (but you have to keep aiming at them). Good against mantas up close.

If you are trying to kill mino with bio rifle don't bother left clicking. Primary fire of bio rifle does 0 damage vs tanks.

Why you guys throw your enforcer?
Tater

Re: old tricks

Post by Tater »

Ones off the top of my head:
Weapons
- Throw your weapons before using all ammo to get more ammo in weapon lockers.
- Link gun is the best weapon you have for taking out nodes from afar, not shock or rockets. shock is good for tagging it though so nobody can respawn.
- Shock-combo is your best weapon for taking nodes up close, next is flak (also the best for taking out core).
- Rocket launcher can spiral as many know, but it will also mildly lock onto a target if you keep your cursor on it long enough.

Fall Damage
- You can reduce fall damage with shield and walldodging (useful for certain situations like splitting fall damage in half on mtmu buildings)
- The max fall damage you will take with shield is 85 or 86, so if you have health higher than this you will always live.
- Sometimes you can take 0 damage if you fall on steep terrain (hills on JY).
- Jumppads cancel all fall damage, teleports do not.
- If you are good enough you can cancel fall damage by entering a vehicle right before you hit the ground.

Vehicles
- Best way to kill a mino from experience is altfire then hold primary to increase the multiplier (do this on its hood), once they all pop repeat if necessary (usually not); A single primary bio won't do damage, multiple will though.
- The badger has an alt fire grenade I hardly see anyone use... does 250 damage, so its great for taking out vehicles that are smoking already.
- You can jump MUCH higher holding the crouch button for a long time on hoverboard instead of pressing space. Don't even use space.
- Megabadgers are faster in reverse.
- You can headshot the actual player if they are in a scorpion or manta.

Use walls/terrain to your advantage. example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ttKVvl ... sp=sharing
This is usually the reason why many things don't take damage from the mino when they should.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Link up link guns when attacking... players do this in DM all the time. What you'll usually see in ONS is one player linking another while the linked player shoots a node. It does 2.5x damage on nodes AND players, so it's smart to link each other when fighting too. 3 linkers in a chain will do 4x damage, it's almost an instakill on foot soldiers. This works especially well on Tanks-a-Lot when linking up the middle node. If everyone would keep linking the guy linking the node and he just aims the alt fire at whatever enemy drops down, they disintegrate almost instantly. Typically though, everyone quits linking and start shooting flak shells. Staying linked up to kill is way more effective.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Had an old thread on this. https://omni.insanelabs.net/showthread.php?t=14761 Here's what I can copy/paste:

Me
Press reverse + opposite turn while cruising forward in mino for a sharper turn

Lagzilla
Learn where the mino hurts itself with its primary gun.
Make sure when gunning you are looking AWAY from the main gun. The driver will worry about what is in range of his main weapon. I am always worried about whats coming up from the sides or behind...

Dimshade
You can raise/lower the nose of scorpions (and variants), badgers, benders, and several other light vehicles on most maps by using your jump/crouch buttons. It's always amazed me that many, perhaps even most, players don't realize this and have their vehicles go cartwheeling away after taking a jump or fall.

Binger
I recently discovered that the alt-fire on the Cicada can shoot around corners. Press alt-fire on your target then hold as you back around a corner. I haven't tested it to see how far I can push it. Like will it go around more than one corner?

Smoker
Manta's and Hoverboards bounce twice as high when you first get on them and jump.

Turbo K
If you're fighting someone around a shielded node, go inside and use the link beam on them. It will go through the shield, but their hitscan weapons will not.

Pi
* mino gunners cant shoot someone on foot directly next to the tank & crouched, get in close and flak
* if an opposing player is at a locked node and it needs building, build the effing node- it's more useful to get the node up since you can then spawn in indefinitely and fight them (if nothing else)
* many 'good' players will have their mouse sensitivity fairly low, this helps with aiming but makes doing a 180 turn more difficult. if you can make a them turn around (several times) you'll level the field a bit
* goliath's are slower than being on foot. if you need to get to a node and have the option between getting in a tank and going on foot then go on foot.
* shield. it's a weapon that almost no ONS players use. when you think someone else has the advantage and is around a corner use it- it's demoralizing to the other person to know that their shots are ineffective and confusing to a good chunk of players. Shield's up, as soon as they finish taking the 2nd or 3rd shot put it down and start the fight
* when you're attacking be aggressive- even if you have 10hp and they're in a tank it's makes up for a lot simply charging them guns blazing. They can easily think you're better or more hp'ed than you are.
* when you're retreating don't be obvious. running away in a straight line to the health pack is kind of predictable. consider running away for only a bit until you're around a corner then see the above bullet point.
* be unpredictable, when you're fighting someone think to yourself 'what do they think ill do'. don't do that. running from 'good' players and running to 'bad' players... very predictable. this is a game of chess, sometimes very fast chess, sometimes very slow- still the same game. get in their head.

Sarge
You can kill the mega badger on foot using your shock rifle's secondary fire aimed at the turret (and lesser badgers too). The shock ball teeters the badger back preventing the gunner from firing at you. Also as most of you know, firing a vehicle canon at the turret has the same effect.

Dimshade
Be careful where you shoot with the ion if you're low on health. If you fire an ion blast and die as it is expanding, it becomes "neutral", and will kill friends and foes alike.
Similarly, if you call an air strike and die before the bombs drop, it will also kill your team mates. The same goes for the ion painter and I'm guessing the storm caster (though I have not tested this).
For l33t see-through-the-fog hacks, turn your view and look with the corner or side of your screen. Using the terrain and geometry of the map, you should have a general idea of where to fire. Care should be taken if you're using a vehicle like the mino or ballista that have very slow-turning main weapons. In many cases, such as when using a railgun tank, it's more about seeing what's coming and being prepared to fire rather than hitting them before they come into view when directly facing them.

Lagzilla
Also, if have no gunner, you can change into a gunner seat and see sideways without moving the main gun. Useful for aiming, as in Block Fort. Grab the fire tank, go down one level towards the middle. Aim at the node with the 2nd seat, once you hit it change back to the main gun. Don't move! If you don't move it will aim the gun at what you were firing at in the 2nd seat.

Termi
On Tanks A Lot, I like to jump on enemy tanks when given the opportunity and attack them by shooting primary flak. When you land on the turret of an enemy tank, they can't hit you without shooting a nearby wall which inflicts damage upon themselves. Also, the minigun turret won't be able to hit you so the enemy tank is pretty much defenseless.
Bio tank, bio hound, bio badger, bio rifle DOES NOT do the extra damage to stock Leviathan.

Me
Having miniguns selected in a hammerhead allows you to look straight down while flying, unlike main cannons. Helpful for scouting enemy area (looking for nuke tank). Just fly as high as possible on the map and then enjoy birdseye view. You'll be enough into the ceiling fog on Junkyard where a lot of people won't even notice you.

Enyo
Speaking of hammerheads, it's handy to know you can fire an artillery round, switch to miniguns and immediately start firing them. I do it all the time if dog fighting another hammerhead... shoot them one time with the artillery and switch to miniguns and start spraying right away. Takes them out pretty quick and usually seems to make them start panic firing their artillery.
Hammerhead miniguns are also a better way to attack a dragon, but you gotta fly right up on top of the dragon and stay on top of it. They usually start trying to fly backwards to get a shot on you, but if you keep moving forward and stay literally right on top of it, it can't get away and shoot you while you keep hammering with the guns.
Fuzzy, to make the hammerhead go really off kilter with the shock rifle you have to hit the nose, or more specifically a little left or right of the nose where the little front wings are (you know, the feature that makes them hammerheads). I usually switch back and forth, left to right on the shot, seems to make it rock back and forth more. With practice you can time your movements with well placed shots to avoid getting run over by a frustrated pilot that can't shoot you.

Me
Console command "togglefullscreen" will let you play the game in a window.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Map specific:

On Arctic Junkyard, if the enemy gets 7/10 and you spawn at 1/2, take the fire tank and secondary fire the hill where the ion usually makes the shot from. The smoke screen will block all of their aim as well as not let them know which of your teammates are moving into the node area. This is the only useful smoke screen moment in the game I can think of.

On MasterBath plant grenades on an enemy locked tub node. When it comes up, hit it with a Rocket Launcher triple shot (not spiral) and it will come down in one hit. You can usually build it before anyone comes to stop you.

On Kakmo and MegaArena you can do the same thing, except just fly back to the connecting neutral node and link it yourself, when it comes up switch to your grenade launcher and detonate the next enemy node instanly.
Last edited by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH on Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Also XEXX GIVE US YOUR SHIELD TANK KNOWLEDGE
pooty

Post by pooty »

With the Aegis if you shooot another shield tank right as the bottom of the wheels it will flip it.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:42 pm Also XEXX GIVE US YOUR SHIELD TANK KNOWLEDGE
This works with an Aegis, not a Paladin, and not sure about the Turtle (I think it's shield takes longer to re-deploy)... but you can block an ion blast with the shield, let the shield down right as the blast dissipates and shoot the ion one time. Then, put the shield back up in time to block the next ion blast. Rinse and repeat, the ion never hits you and you eventually kill it, one shot at a time. Works especially well on TAL.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

You can shoot the tub from the cabinet!!!!! Get your link gun and primary fire, it can reach. Link up and bring it down in three seconds.

This one blows my mind how many people don't know this.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

pooty wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:09 am With the Aegis if you shooot another shield tank right as the bottom of the wheels it will flip it.
Yes

I still prefer the Crusader