Map Replay Limit

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Map Replay Limit

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:10 pm I'm inclined to increase it a bit, maybe to 10.
Three days of basically playing the same maps...although server numbers were strong.
Do it. We only get about 8-12 games a night anyways. 21 or whatever it was, was way too high, would take 2 days of play to cycle through that many games..
leon

Post by leon »

Frostbite is a pretty good classic ONS map, especially when we have a few people on the server. I would leave it (still waiting for "Opera House").
And I would increase it to 10+ too because we need some new maps in this list. If not, pretty soon it'll become boring to play same maps every day.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

MinusMegaBadgerMeUp has a high count not because people vote for it. It's because I admin vote it in every day at 1630 MST when nobody is on the server. I keep reloading it until somebody shows up and we play a match. Usually, by 1715, that fun is over with and others are on the server and they vote for what they want.
leon

Post by leon »

It means nothing. You can remove "badger" and it's still around 30% Minus + another maps we play every day and almost no new maps.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

leon wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:10 pm ... maps we play every day and almost no new maps.
There are really 2 camps of players here.
1. Ones that love to learn new things and try new maps/vehicles.
2. Ones that love to play maps/vehicles they know and stick to proven strategies that work for them.

You are never going to satisfy everyone. And for camp #1 to refer to camp #2 as wrong and stupid, now that is plain wrong. I'd suggest a level-headed balance, else you're going to alienate more people and bring the server to an end quicker.

I tend to be in camp #2. I'll instantly join almost any MTMU map in play. Unless it's one of the newer ones with lots of new vehicles, ie, pootylicious. Not a fan of vehicles moving around and new capabilities where it changes the dynamics of the game. Dria, yes, I know how to play that. Arctic, never was a fan of that map much, but it will do in a pinch. Junkyard, sure. Nevermore, maybe. New maps are fun to try for a short while, but after a bit I just want something I know.

Yes, I'm a bit boring that way, but it's what I prefer. I also like going to McDonald's because I know what I'm going to get. After a while of trying every new restaurant I discover, there is a fatigue of getting the unexpected, what you didn't like, that sets in. I just want something where there are no new surprises and get what I'd wanted and expected.

I do think it is a bit short-sighted to call similar maps, especially MTMU maps all the same. It takes years to learn the finer differences between maps. And there are many differences that are subtle to learn.

Once we took all the MTMU maps and placed them on their own server. That didn't work out so well. It split the community because the MTMU server became the dominant server with all the players and the other non-MTMU server went idle with no players.

This server will end. One day you'll get on the server and there won't be anyone left playing. I've seen it many times.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Frostbite is a pretty good classic ONS map, especially when we have a few people on the server. I would leave it (still waiting for "Opera House").
And I would increase it to 10+ too because we need some new maps in this list. If not, pretty soon it'll become boring to play same maps every day.
I can put it back.
I've set the limit to 11. Still to low IMO, but I get others like it, maybe push it to 14?

I personally don't want to play Dria, DJY, Minus Mega every night. (its been 4 days in a row now). I get people like the favorites, but since we've played them to death, everyone knows the strategies.... on the newer maps I think its fun to find the right strategies (like where to use the Mino on NiVa Valley). Otherwise its, get the mino to the dognuts spot, find the missle tank etc.
Once we took all the MTMU maps and placed them on their own server. That didn't work out so well. It split the community because the MTMU server became the dominant server with all the players and the other non-MTMU server went idle with no players.
Correct, there were two Omni servers and the MTMU server survived because people liked it better than DM type matches... most of the maps now are still tank/vehicle focused with the exception of a few (Dreamus, Spiffingrad, Spambox, etc).
still waiting for "Opera House").
Cool. I am working on it, but it still needs a bit of work -- I've expanded the play area, and added some nodes so there's fair amount still to do. I'll try to get a beta version done soon.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:39 am ...
Correct, there were two Omni servers and the MTMU server survived because people liked it better than DM type matches...
I think it was more that people gravitated toward the server with the most players playing. MTMUs were familiar to most and that's where the crowd formed. When others came looking for a game, they chose where the players were, not because they liked MTMU maps, but that's where the party was.
leon

Post by leon »

You don't need a lot of skills to play tanks. Just get minus and you are Enyo. It makes people pretty equal, almost communism. Now I doubt who is from USSR McLovin or me 😂😂. And I think most people like surprises even if it's not what they expected. Surprise is surprise and bad result is result too. I like to learn something new. Pooty and Snarf do for that a great job. Without new things and progress we would still use horses instead of cars and would think that planet is flat.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

I miss playing Star Reach, Basement Home Theater, Grit Nights, Tanks A Lot, Barracks 2017 version, Master Shower.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

I’m surprised Star Reach doesn’t get more play. That used to be a super popular map.