Balancer

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Balancer

Post by pooty »

So several players last night (after a couple of stacked matches) were wanting the balancer back on. I think it'd be good to turn it on maybe Friday morning, let it run that way for a week and collect the stats. Given a week time period we can compare matches. That being said I think we will find it probably is about the same.

I do think turning on the mulligan round would be good when its random, but I'd really like to find a way to issue an admin command to do a manual forced balance (based on the current EvenMatch PPH), for those matches where its clearly needed: Enyo, Xexx, Tater, Leon, SK10H, Terramerge vs. rest -- I think that was an actual team stack last night. Be nice to say admin forceReblance and start fresh.
McLovin

Re: Balancer

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:24 pm... I think it'd be good to turn it on maybe Friday morning, let it run that way for a week and collect the stats. ...
Does it only collect stats when the balancer is turned on?
pooty wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:24 pm... I do think turning on the mulligan round would be good when its random, but I'd really like to find a way to issue an admin command to do a manual forced balance (based on the current EvenMatch PPH), for those matches where its clearly needed: Enyo, Xexx, Tater, Leon, SK10H, Terramerge vs. rest -- I think that was an actual team stack last night. Be nice to say admin forceReblance and start fresh.
How does the mulligan thing work?

What ever way Mailbox had it set up for a short time I hated. I'm all for a forceRebalance command, or forceRandomBalance. I remember people hated getting switched after the 1st game going into the 2nd game. So much so, some would just flat out quit.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So the stats are always collected, its independent of balancer..but it collects all the match information win/loss/pts..so we can actually compare.

Mulligan is when a team gets 2pt core kill within X minutes..so if there's like 4 min 2 pt round it forces the re-balance...which I wasn't a big fan of either, but here I look at it when random teams are really badly stacked it gives you a "do over". But some find it fun when your team steamrolls, or sometimes the teamwork just made the dream work and the mulligan feels like a penalty, esp. on smaller maps (TAL for one)
GuyThat69sU

Post by GuyThat69sU »

If a dream team steamrolls the other side because of great teamwork, that shouldn't be punished. I think the dream team would rather stay together and repeat the cohesion for another round.

The losing team is probably fine with moving onto another map entirely. I don't think that's a bad thing. More map variety is what people want, not 60 minute slug fests. My time is precious at night, I'd rather have more maps.
pooty

Post by pooty »

GuyThat69sU wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:22 am The losing team is probably fine with moving onto another map entirely. I don't think that's a bad thing. More map variety is what people want, not 60 minute slug fests. My time is precious at night, I'd rather have more maps.
Agreed. I like variety of maps vs. the 60 minute marathons (like Dria badger me for an hour)
Tater

Post by Tater »

I like map variety, but I don't like steamrolling the other side to get to more maps. No challenge, no fun. It's not a good game if it's like beating up a bunch of 6 year olds.
Typically Steamrolling = RQ'ing, which we saw on MTMU randomizer tonight.

That being said I don't think Mulligan should be on either, I'd rather steamroll / get steamrolled and move on to the next map than be swapped to the team with the collective IQ of a Mayonnaise Jar.

As wack as the balancer can be, I think it does more good than harm. I think it should be on.

Gordons box was a rough sided game but we were mostly able to hold them off and I think even win one or two rounds (when it evened up a little better). That was far more fun than if the team was say Me, SK, Leon, Rando, etc. on one team steamrolling the other side. At the end, even after losing most agreed it was still a well fought fun game (despite lasting forever... I could feel the carpal tunnel in my hands).

To me, that is different than a slugfest. It took actual skill and teamwork to keep off the other team for such a long time, not sitting back with OP vehicles for 60 full minutes camping nodes. That is excruciatingly boring; You can have heavily uneven teams and the game will still be a slugfest as long as the lower-end players figure out how to point and click.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yes, there's subtle difference between a "stacked" team and a team that works well, even if the perceived balance is even. Sometimes the mix works with the right combo of fast movers/attackers, node builders, defenders, strategists, good communication vs. a team of individuals doing things their own way, or too many campers, too many slow movers etc.

Now that we have stats on...I want to turn the balancer back on run it for two weeks and compare stats of matches. I think the base stat would be how many match scores of 4-0, 3-0, 4-1, 4-2, 3-2, 3-1, 3-0 with it on/off. If the balancer does good we should see a different distribution of match scores.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

For what it's worth, I have seen it happen quite often where a team gets dominated, then people will just re-vote another version of the same map to have that act as mulligan.