2 things I would love to see.

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: 2 things I would love to see.

Post by McLovin »

ItsMeAgain wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:58 pm Another suggestion that adds to mclovin's, if someone is in a vehicle, don't switch them at that moment, only switch upon death. I've left some relatively important vehicles laying around getting switched.
Seen it happen a few times with the mino. Why I never jump in the mino if I enter the game late.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Another thing I noticed while spectating. Joins and quits immediately change the game dynamics. Wish there was a way to hold new players on one team in suspension until another player joins to balance the player counts.

Test case:
1. Teams are balanced numerically.
2. Somebody joins or quits, giving one team an extra player.
3. Modification: Hold the newest player in detention until the other team gets a new player.

Example:
A. nautical and me playing a one-on-one BadgerMeUp from game start. Yeah, this will be fun. I have to pull out all my tricks.
B. F'n Roger joins and is on nautical's team. So much for an even match, now I'm F'd. F it, I'll take both of them on, I can do this. More join.
C. Dognuts, Snarf, and Cisco_DeSilva joins enemy team. I've got svauser, and CandyLick. Now we are double and triple F'd. BIG_FloPPies joins enemy, but gets switched. But it's too late. The evolving imbalance has ruined the match. The losing team is hopelessly disadvantaged at that point to make a showing.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Somebody's in-game suggestion rang true: When somebody quits, have the system do an auto-teams command.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Funny thing is, I was spectating most of the match and only joined because one of the teams had an extra player.

I'm not sure when is a good time to join when spectating. If you are spectating when the match ends, you cannot join until the next match starts which is too late for the balancer to do anything, so I try to join before the match ends. The alternative is to disconnect/reconnect when that happens but that causes its own problems.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:19 am If you are spectating when the match ends, you cannot join until the next match starts which is too late for the balancer to do anything, so I try to join before the match ends. The alternative is to disconnect/reconnect when that happens but that causes its own problems.
Not actually true, this works after the match is over... while still spectating (don't disconnect), go to the server menu list and double click the Omni server like you're joining for the first time. It will immediately switch you to a live player instead of a spectator. You can even vote on the next map.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Enyo wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:35 am ...
Not actually true, this works after the match is over... while still spectating (don't disconnect), go to the server menu list and double click the Omni server like you're joining for the first time. It will immediately switch you to a live player instead of a spectator. You can even vote on the next map.
Awe, that's how they do it. I could never figure out how spectators were voting for the next map. Nicely!
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

McLovin wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:45 am Awe, that's how they do it. I could never figure out how spectators were voting for the next map. Nicely!
When you join this way at the end of a match, I don't think it puts you in the team player lists. So, yeah, appears as if specs are map voting.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
ankeedo

Post by ankeedo »

Enyo wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:35 am
captainsnarf wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:19 am If you are spectating when the match ends, you cannot join until the next match starts which is too late for the balancer to do anything, so I try to join before the match ends. The alternative is to disconnect/reconnect when that happens but that causes its own problems.
this is exactly what (disconnect/reconnect) mean, it's the same ,but different approach
pooty

Post by pooty »

A couple things:
Yes, scoring/ranking for balancing is by GUID (alias don't matter) as Enyo pointed out. Its also by map. Keep in mind its never perfect...you get the mino and get good run you'll have a way higher PPH, then being stuck in a Hellbender.

And there's really nothing that can be done about joins, other than doing a mid-round balance. Even Match will do a mid round rebalance, but most hated that even more -- IMO its worse than just getting spanked is being on a team that's clicking and rolling along well and then get mid round balanced (which IMO is basically a restart anyway from player perspective). It ruins the flow of the game...I'd rather just lose quickly and move on.

If anyone is interested EvenMatch is here https://github.com/TheRealWormbo/EvenMatch
I've turned on the autobalance when the numbers become uneven.
bBalanceTeamsWhilePlaying to True (it was false). Let's see how it works.

Also, its supposed to limit you to not be rebalanced for 140s if you get switched once...which in theory is supposed to avoid get switched and immediately switched back (although personally I don't think this is working right).
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

ankeedo wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:34 pm this is exactly what (disconnect/reconnect) mean, it's the same ,but different approach
Sure, but clicking disconnect and then reconnecting always takes longer, at least it does for me. Use my suggestion to connect quickly as a player when spectating at the end of match so you still have time to vote for the next map.

Pooty, Even Match was definitely not doing the 140s delay on rebalancing the same player. I know in the last two weeks I got switched 4 times between teams within a couple minutes.
― Mark Twain