2 things I would love to see.

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

2 things I would love to see.

Post by McLovin »

1. Auto kick when a player is idle for more than 30 seconds.
2. Auto "teams" balance when one team is down 2 or more players.

It's been mentioned before. I don't know the reasons why this can't be implemented, but they must be significant.

Just last night, had a match going, but didn't realize why we were winning until I looked and saw our team was ahead by 2 players. Waste of a good match, ugh! There is no joy in an easy win like that, and a waste of everybody's time.
ankeedo

Re: 2 things I would love to see.

Post by ankeedo »

There are many possibilities that can occur during the game that the system must take into account, so the balance system should be smarter to check these possibilities..What happened yesterday was so ridiculous !!
The smart system should work from the beginning in distributing players to the two teams according to their quality ( their rank for example )
pooty

Post by pooty »

I am pretty sure I can set EvenMatch to fix #2.

#1 is more difficult that's part of the game itself. Plus sometimes I get kicked as admin when typing in the console/chat...so why the F doesn't it kick players for standing around or sitting in vehicles.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:28 am I am pretty sure I can set EvenMatch to fix #2.

#1 is more difficult that's part of the game itself. Plus sometimes I get kicked as admin when typing in the console/chat...so why the F doesn't it kick players for standing around or sitting in vehicles.
Thanks Pooty. I think the even match thing will be a big help. That's all I do lately when specing is pretty much doing "teams" when I notice an imbalance.

I imagine some will try to game this feature by dropping out of game to spectate, watch the autobalance engage, then rejoin. If there was a way to place a timeout on players going to spec then back to join, or leaving the game and rejoining. But now we are probably getting into some serious coding that's not worth the effort.

Please call the idlers out in public chat when you see it. Name em and shame em. It's a chore to catch them. If an admin is onboard, if not playing, we'll take a look see. You have to rotate through all the players constantly. I usually join as spectate, pay special attention on anybody on the bottom of the score list that has significant time on their clock. Maybe they were specing and joined late in the game. Check if they are idle or being a dip shit. Then I cycle through everybody making sure they are moving and contributing. If they are idle, I give em 30 seconds and a verbal. If nothing they get a simple kick. 30 seconds is enough to seriously disadvantage your team from winning to losing. Our matches that are not blow-outs are getting that close lately that I have seen.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

ankeedo wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:03 am ...
The smart system should work from the beginning in distributing players to the two teams according to their quality ( their rank for example )
I think game beginning rank balance is currently turned on. They have been tweaking the scoring history for a while now to make it better. It's not perfect, but a work in progress, and some black magic. We still get wack teams occasionally, but not nearly as often as we used to with pure random team placement. I'm in the camp that anything is better than nothing. But it's an ongoing debate.

Im all for fixed rankings by your IP so aliasing doesn't affect it. Enyo, Leon types get a fixed 10. Unknowns/newbies get a zero. The rest of us are somewhere between 0 and 10 decided by the admin team. Maybe keep it secret so there is no contention about it. I'll take whatever ranking I'm given. I really don't care about my own ranking or scoring like some here do. I only want to see fair balanced matches, if that is possible.
leon

Post by leon »

Dria v6. Start. I took dragon and two guys. I'm almost at 9 node but they switched me. Lost dragon and two guys. Ok. I took hurricane but in 6 seconds they switched me again. Unbelievable. Just left the game. Can we do something with that?
ankeedo

Post by ankeedo »

McLovin wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:36 pm
ankeedo wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:03 am ...
I think game beginning rank balance is currently turned on. They have been tweaking the scoring history for a while now to make it better. It's not perfect, but a work in progress, and some black magic. We still get wack teams occasionally, but not nearly as often as we used to with pure random team placement. I'm in the camp that anything is better than nothing. But it's an ongoing debate.

Im all for fixed rankings by your IP so aliasing doesn't affect it. Enyo, Leon types get a fixed 10. Unknowns/newbies get a zero. The rest of us are somewhere between 0 and 10 decided by the admin team. Maybe keep it secret so there is no contention about it. I'll take whatever ranking I'm given. I really don't care about my own ranking or scoring like some here do. I only want to see fair balanced matches, if that is possible.
I think this is because of the quitters .. no one can do anything to the quitters, let's say a game of 6 vs 6, then 2 players of the same team quit, is it OK to continue 6 vs 4 ? someone must switch to the fewer players team.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

McLovin wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:36 pm Im all for fixed rankings by your IP so aliasing doesn't affect it.
Aliasing does not mess up the balancer. Players are tracked by GUID not player name. It's also map specific because players are better at some maps than others.

It would be nice though if the server would auto balance teams based on numbers at all times. Typing teams isn't all that hard to do, but sometimes I'll miss the fact numbers are imbalanced by 2 players for God knows how long.

Leon, what happened to you happens a lot, and more so to good players. I can't count the number of times I've joined, someone on the other team gripes that I joined, they leave and I get switched. Then someone form my original team gripes that I got switched and they leave, then I get switched back. Recently it happened to me 4 times in the beginning of a match. It's always the newest join that gets switched. Frustrating yes, but just keep playing.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
leon

Post by leon »

Ok, thanks but still sad because I joined 10 seconds before game started.
And 2 more questions.
(1) I can't understand how is balancer working. Dec 5 we played Bath. Enyo and SK were top scored players and next game they got to same team and it happens pretty often. (2) Then Tater joined to their team. Not his fault but it was completely disbalanced. Can we avoid that situations?
ItsMeAgain

Post by ItsMeAgain »

Another suggestion that adds to mclovin's, if someone is in a vehicle, don't switch them at that moment, only switch upon death. I've left some relatively important vehicles laying around getting switched.