How many maps/how long should the Map Rotation be?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums

How many maps/how long should the Map Rotation be?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:57 am

0 - Lets play Minus Mega Arena endlessly
No votes
2-3 Democracy, Mob rule in action.
17%
4-5 Lets let the people decide, and who cares if we play Minus 4 times in a row
33%
8-9 Should be enough not to play the same ones every night, maybe.
No votes
15 Where it is now..
33%
18+ I love variety its the spice of life
17%

Total votes: 12

pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: How many maps/how long should the Map Rotation be?

Post by pooty »

One way to incentivize new maps is by introducing new vehicles. People may want to check out the new "flying kraken/mino," whatever it is. The interest may only last a short while tho. But at least it gets a few maps into rotation. But please don't incentivize by removing maps that people love. That's old-fashioned book-burning Nazism, LOL
Usually new vehicles are placed on newer edit, for two reasons:
1. As you pointed out to get folks to play new maps/edits
2. I don't want to break/destroy "classic" maps, so careful introduction of newer vehicles on older maps is required. Notable exception was flying saucers on RedPlanet.
Nearly all of the "Classic" maps I leave unchanged except to update vehicles with updated/fixed versions (eg. FireTanks, etc.)

Back to the topic, I don't see much need to change the rotation.... IMO its a split decision, anything shorter invites too much repetition. Even now, last week we played serveral maps (eg. Nevermore) EVERY NIGHT, so no need to shorten the rotation...if anything it made me want to make it longer.

Most new maps take several edits to get right (usually anywhere from 3-8 updates), this is because no amount of thinking/bot testing replaces human players... some of the edits work out, some don't.. But often people complain (the flyers are too powerful, while a Troop Carrier sits unused; The Classic Mino is too weak (lolz) because they want to not really aim, etc.) once we start playing them a bit more the tweaks get better, like things like Bionyx for example which is pretty fun. I think Dry Ice has gotten there too.
leon

Post by leon »

Does this mean we can't play those maps today?????
If yes I'm not happy and I don't understand that person who did it.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yes, looks like there was a variety of players on during the day playing different maps...
infinitecat

Post by infinitecat »

Looks to me like General Purpose was bored today.
TotalBurn

Post by TotalBurn »

leon wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:25 pmDoes this mean we can't play those maps today?????
If yes I'm not happy and I don't understand that person who did it.
Im guilty for MasterShower and Sektor8. I shouldnt have to but I'll explain since you said you didnt understand.

Sektor8 I have never seen or played and wanted to check it out.
MasterShower I wanted to test a theory for the stat tracker by using certain weapons found on that map. Plus, I never see that map getting voted. I hoped someone would join but it didnt happen.

Now maybe you meant you dont understand the person who set the rotation limits/specs? I took it as you dont understand why someone logged on, voted a map and played it all the way thru. While hoping someone else would join.

The other maps listed I had nothing to do with.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Nobody did anything wrong. But with the current limits on gameplay and map rotation, this is an unfortunate side effect that happens. I always encourage people to play during the day, explore new maps, practice, etc.

Someone the other night was playing for the first time in a long time, and they were idle. When asked WTF they were doing, they said they were trying to configure their controls. I said do that on your own time, not in the middle of a heavily contested map with a full server.
DrScrotey

Post by DrScrotey »

I may be counterproductive, but I stopped voting a few months ago. I felt really bad if I won the vote, but half the players leave since they hate that map. I justify it by utilizing the wisdom of the crowd. That being said that wisdom only works if people vote.
I think a tiered/ranked voting (i.e. 1st choice, 2nd choice...) would be best, but like enyo said, low priority.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Don't feel bad Doc, sometimes the Admins can force a map aka "Admin's choice"....
Some will only play certain maps, and only certain maps...anything new causes them to leave for a bit and go play fortnite.
Many of us like playing newer/different stuff vs. Dria every night.
Provert

Post by Provert »

You're here to play Doc. You get a voice of what fun you want to partake in. Don't feel sad if a map you really like gets voted in. I've been on the loosing end of many a map.
DrScrotey

Post by DrScrotey »

Thanks, I think I just overestimate the fragility of the community, which probably would be the case if everyone played as sporadically as me.