How many maps/how long should the Map Rotation be?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums

Poll ended at Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:57 am

0 - Lets play Minus Mega Arena endlessly
No votes
2-3 Democracy, Mob rule in action.
17%
4-5 Lets let the people decide, and who cares if we play Minus 4 times in a row
33%
8-9 Should be enough not to play the same ones every night, maybe.
No votes
15 Where it is now..
33%
18+ I love variety its the spice of life
17%

Total votes: 12

pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by pooty »

So some have complained the map rotation is too short, some too long...
Now is the time to make your voice count
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Re: How many maps/how long should the Map Rotation be?

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

What's the current average game length? Or at least a ballpark?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

With all the different versions of minus on the server, we already play minus endlessly.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Average? Range is about 17-46 minutes. (14 Minute rounds, plus 4 minute mulligan = 48 mins longest possible, but some show 51-52 minutes - maybe time in between rounds/loading?). (And previously before scoring change Dria was usually a 58-65 minute map)
If you look here https://www.omnipotents.com/utstats/ind ... hes&page=1
Mostly it looks like 25-30 mins.. some shorter some longer.
Looks like during peak hours play about 7-10 maps depending on the day.
pooty

Post by pooty »

If I average the current results, yields 10-11 map rotation (10.7).
I was hoping to get more votes, still have 7 days to vote.
ItsMeAgain

Post by ItsMeAgain »

I like the vote, even though i don't vote often and when i do it is usually against anything we just played or for one of the newer maps. To me, i dont really have a preference other than NOT playing back to back same maps. Variety is good also, but when it gets boring or old weapon lockers with 3 shots or just turns into grinding with neither team progressing, need to just vote new map and move on.

My suggestion would be to reset map availability based on number of players as well per session, once hit 14+ players, reset all maps availability for that session until it drops to 6 players or below, then let all maps be available back to back if want. Basically only enforce no back to when player count exceeds 14+ (or other number), generally when we all are playing. This would prevent people playing all the favored maps at 6pm when only 4 players or so. Of course this would all change when 500+ players are wanting to play :)

Also maybe reduce even further the number of maps to choose from, or sort based on newest, i always want to play the newer maps some, then a random nostalgic map .... but not for 1 hour. I would like to see the maps that take 1+ hours to be reduced ... probably not thread for this.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

ItsMeAgain wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:42 pm I like the vote, even though i don't vote often and when i do it is usually against anything we just played or for one of the newer maps. To me, i dont really have a preference other than NOT playing back to back same maps. Variety is good also, but when it gets boring or old weapon lockers with 3 shots or just turns into grinding with neither team progressing, need to just vote new map and move on.

My suggestion would be to reset map availability based on number of players as well per session, once hit 14+ players, reset all maps availability for that session until it drops to 6 players or below, then let all maps be available back to back if want. Basically only enforce no back to when player count exceeds 14+ (or other number), generally when we all are playing. This would prevent people playing all the favored maps at 6pm when only 4 players or so. Of course this would all change when 500+ players are wanting to play :)

Also maybe reduce even further the number of maps to choose from, or sort based on newest, i always want to play the newer maps some, then a random nostalgic map .... but not for 1 hour. I would like to see the maps that take 1+ hours to be reduced ... probably not thread for this.
I like this idea. But I've read this twice and I still don't understand the boundaries yet.
Is this what you are saying?
1. 0..6 players, all maps available.
2. 7..14, map cool-down set to what it is now.
3. 14+, all maps available.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So there's no way (without writing a new mapvoting mod) to adjust the rotation based on players. So its fixed. The point is where's the balance where popular maps are available but we don't play the same stuff every night. When it was around 8 or 10 or so, it ended up playing same maps every night (I suspect there was some map voting to move the sequence along) so that we could play Minus, DJY, Minus, AJY, Minus Mega, Nevermore, repeat.

As far as timing, the max timing is 45 (3 rounds 4 min+ 11 min OT) Reg + 4 min mulligan, so max 49 mins (there's a minute or two of loading/round ending to add to that)..so figure 50 minutes max -- with the "new" scoring most matches are over sooner usually about half that. Some maps (dria) last longer, some like Masterbath could be long with many players, or very short it all depends. I'd be hesitant to make the match much shorter, as on many of the maps...tanks need lots of time to drive around.

I have considered removing several maps from the list, and I have tried to recycle some with newer edits to hopefully get more variation.
There's at least half the server just wants to play the same dozen maps or so....

And you can vote mid round... if 50% of the players vote the map will change...
ankeedo

Post by ankeedo »

ItsMeAgain wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:42 pm My suggestion would be to reset map availability based on number of players as well per session.
this is the best suggestion, imagine a player came and played most of the popular maps alone, it will be disabled for all other players who come later.
so resetting maps is the best choice.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

ankeedo wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:28 pm
ItsMeAgain wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:42 pm My suggestion would be to reset map availability based on number of players as well per session.
this is the best suggestion, imagine a player came and played most of the popular maps alone, it will be disabled for all other players who come later.
so resetting maps is the best choice.
Actually, it's the worst suggestion since pooty said its not possible, at least not without rewriting a whole new map voting mod. Not even close to a high priority on the programming list.

Pooty, stick to the current rotation, the only whining about it is coming from the MTMU whores.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain