How many maps/how long should the Map Rotation be?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums

How many maps/how long should the Map Rotation be?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:57 am

0 - Lets play Minus Mega Arena endlessly
No votes
2-3 Democracy, Mob rule in action.
17%
4-5 Lets let the people decide, and who cares if we play Minus 4 times in a row
33%
8-9 Should be enough not to play the same ones every night, maybe.
No votes
15 Where it is now..
33%
18+ I love variety its the spice of life
17%

Total votes: 12

McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: How many maps/how long should the Map Rotation be?

Post by McLovin »

Enyo wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:58 pm ...
Pooty, stick to the current rotation, the only whining about it is coming from the MTMU whores.
The vote is evenly split between leaving it alone and reducing the timeouts. To me that says, leave it alone.

It's not just the MTMU whores, it's Bath, Nevermore, hour-long Dria, and the Junkyard whores too, LOL
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yes. After playing Nevermore, DJY, and MB every night this week...tells me it sure doesn't need to be any shorter...
ankeedo

Post by ankeedo »

Enyo wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:58 pm
ankeedo wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:28 pm
ItsMeAgain wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:42 pm My suggestion would be to reset map availability based on number of players as well per session.
this is the best suggestion, imagine a player came and played most of the popular maps alone, it will be disabled for all other players who come later.
so resetting maps is the best choice.
Actually, it's the worst suggestion since pooty said its not possible, at least not without rewriting a whole new map voting mod. Not even close to a high priority on the programming list.

Pooty, stick to the current rotation, the only whining about it is coming from the MTMU whores.
try to understand things, try it, it won't hurt your brain, you have enough brain cells to think.
it's not a new voting mod, it's only resetting all maps sequence at a certain time.
ankeedo

Post by ankeedo »

McLovin wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:21 am
Enyo wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:58 pm ...
The vote is evenly split between leaving it alone and reducing the timeouts. To me that says, leave it alone.

It's not just the MTMU whores, it's Bath, Nevermore, hour-long Dria, and the Junkyard whores too, LOL
No, the vote is not evenly split.
4-5, 15, and 18+ all are giving the same meaning which is: it is a democracy and I love variety so let's let the people decide.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

ankeedo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:01 am No, the vote is not evenly split.
4-5, 15, and 18+ all are giving the same meaning which is: it is a democracy and I love variety so let's let the people decide.
Ummmmmmmm... am I the only one confused by this comment?

And let's be clear, because I hear that awful word "democracy" thrown around quite a lot on this server - OMNI is NOT a democracy. People should go back to school and learn that democracy is the same thing as "mob rule." Kudos to pooty for making that point in the actual poll choices.

It' more like pooty is a benevolent king that truly cares about what his subjects think. The rest of us admins are his court advisors/enforcers, and Snarf is our Merlin.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
ankeedo

Post by ankeedo »

Enyo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:22 am
ankeedo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:01 am No, the vote is not evenly split.
Ummmmmmmm... am I the only one confused by this comment?

And let's be clear, because I hear that awful word "democracy" thrown around quite a lot on this server - OMNI is NOT a democracy. People should go back to school and learn that democracy is the same thing as "mob rule." Kudos to pooty for making that point in the actual poll choices.

It' more like pooty is a benevolent king that truly cares about what his subjects think. The rest of us admins are his court advisors/enforcers, and Snarf is our Merlin.
OMNI is like any other server it's nothing without players.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Enyo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:22 am ...

Hate to see this post go political, cause we have so many diverse types playing here. But I always get a bit cranky when my friends (FaceBook) go on about how we should do away with the Electoral College. Most of them are from big population states that subscribe to this idea. I live in Utah, we have only 6 electoral votes, California has 55. I'm glad that our voting system is not a straight "mob-rule". Else states like California would "mob-rule" us in little ol Utah to death.

https://www.britannica.com/story/how-ma ... state-have
pooty

Post by pooty »

it's not a new voting mod, it's only resetting all maps sequence at a certain time.
Like say at 6pm, it resets? I don't know if there's a way to completely reset the count at some time.... I don't think its been as big a deal with day time players using up the popular maps EVERY day has it? I know there was stretch there where it was.

Looking at the poll. Nearly a perfect distrubution except for the middle choice which interestingly enough has zero votes...and comes out to the average.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

McLovin wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:50 pm Hate to see this post go political, cause we have so many diverse types playing here. But I always get a bit cranky when my friends (FaceBook) go on about how we should do away with the Electoral College. Most of them are from big population states that subscribe to this idea. I live in Utah, we have only 6 electoral votes, California has 55. I'm glad that our voting system is not a straight "mob-rule". Else states like California would "mob-rule" us in little ol Utah to death.

https://www.britannica.com/story/how-ma ... state-have
Wasn't meant to be a political statement so much as a statement on how OMNI is organized. We listen to players and their suggestions, but not all will be decided upon via democratic voting. Not even close to half our players visit the forum to voice their opinions... I know McLovin would say "fuck 'em" if they're too lazy to come here and speak, but as Ankeedo pointed out, the server doesn't exist without players. Changing things on the whims and desires of a small handful of players affects everyone on the server. Admins have to be the voice of balance, reason and final decision when it comes to server changes, not the "will of the people."

Resetting the count at say 6pm every day would essentially have the same effect as lowering the cool down count. The exact same maps will get played every night, they practically already do.

My suggestion for those of you that want to play the same 3 or 4 maps over and over regardless of the boredom it causes for over 50% of the server... actually try to learn new maps. I know many of you are "old dogs," but you can still learn... I hope.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Enyo wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:59 am ...
My suggestion for those of you that want to play the same 3 or 4 maps over and over regardless of the boredom it causes for over 50% of the server... actually try to learn new maps. I know many of you are "old dogs," but you can still learn... I hope.
I don't think you can motivate people to play new maps they don't know and not play maps they know well and like. An interesting read lately was about changing people's behavior regarding vaccination.

"Behavioral science research suggests that one of the best ways to motivate behavior is through incentives, either positive or negative. Incentives work because they do not force people to change their beliefs. A customer might switch cellphone providers not because he believes the new provider is better, but because the new provider is offering a free iPhone to switch (a positive incentive). A teenager might come home before curfew on a Saturday night not because she believes it’s dangerous to be out late, but because she knows her parents will take away her car keys if she stays out past midnight (a negative incentive)."

One way to incentivize new maps is by introducing new vehicles. People may want to check out the new "flying kraken/mino," whatever it is. The interest may only last a short while tho. But at least it gets a few maps into rotation. But please don't incentivize by removing maps that people love. That's old-fashioned book-burning Nazism, LOL