Why UT2004 over UT3?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Why UT2004 over UT3?

Post by captainsnarf »

Why did you prefer UT2004 over UT3? I remember when UT3 came out it split the player base. A lot of people stuck with the old game.
TotalBurn

Re: Why UT2004 over UT3?

Post by TotalBurn »

Movement. If I recall UT3 removed the ability to dodge and double jump & combinations of. The game felt console optimized. The graphics and new weapons and sounds are excellent. I recall some people not liking the flare from the weapon fire saying it was too distracting. I was indifferent on that one. Wasnt ONS removed from UT3? I forget.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

From the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Tournament_3

It doesn't have Onslaught like we know it. It has Warfare – A mix of Onslaught and Assault game modes. While basic game rules are equal to those of Onslaught, Warfare adds countdown nodes (which, after being captured and defended for a certain period of time, create a vehicle or trigger an event helpful to the capturing team) as well as the orb, which can be used to instantly capture and defend nodes.

Plus it had Capture the flag.

I don't understand game companies that only make Death Match style play. It's boring IMO.
Provert

Post by Provert »

This was the first non-Call of Duty game I played at the time and slowly weened off CoD to this, so I missed 3.

When I lived in Hawai'i, I mentioned playing this and he said he still had his '99 version. I used to play them from time to time. Still have the 99 version but have not loaded it on this machine.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

TotalBurn wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:09 pm Movement. If I recall UT3 removed the ability to dodge and double jump & combinations of. The game felt console optimized. The graphics and new weapons and sounds are excellent. I recall some people not liking the flare from the weapon fire saying it was too distracting. I was indifferent on that one. Wasnt ONS removed from UT3? I forget.
X2 on movement. Yeah i've been trying to get into CS:GO for the past few weeks. I'm catching on, but the lack of dodge jumps etc. and having to learn spray pattern BS is super annoying. I like how in UT you can just jump into the ring as hard as you want and take out suckers with your shock rifle.

Halo seems close to UT (and I think the quick release of ut2004 was in response to halo) but not having the movement abilities is a bummer.

One game that I think has a single better movement feature is Battlefield 1942 which gives you a prone position option. Sometimes I think it'd be great to have one level lower than crouch.

I've never even tried UT3. I played ut99 at my high school computer lab all the time, had 2003 while it lasted and then have basically been stuck on 2004 since.