1st or 2nd person point-of-view?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums

1st or 3rd person point-of-view?

1st person
70%
3rd person
30%

Total votes: 10

McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

1st or 2nd person point-of-view?

Post by McLovin »

You can change your vote, and vote for both if you want. I'm curious what others use.

Coming from the Quake world, it took me the longest time to get used to 3rd person point of view. Now, it's always my default. Except in those rare cases where I can't see, and I need to switch, F4. Maybe with vehicles, and the need to see the orientation of the said vehicle, 3rd person is more important?

It's funny that UT2004 Settings/Input/Looking referred to 3rd person as "BehindView."
TotalBurn

Re: 1st or 2nd person point-of-view?

Post by TotalBurn »

In a vehicle Im always in behind view. I setup my middle mouse button to toggle views. I can then scroll with the wheel to zoom out further and see whats around a corner etc. If Im on foot, I switch to first person.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

On foot and in flyers ALWAYS in 1st person. Tanks and ground vehicles usually 3nd person.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
DrScrotey

Post by DrScrotey »

Same as enyo. Does zoomed out 3rd person help anyone for manta runovers? I'm awful at those. Seriously, if the object would be circle around and avoid the players I would win. Also, 1st person railgun tank -> How I get the kills.
TotalBurn

Post by TotalBurn »

DrScrotey wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:43 amDoes zoomed out 3rd person help anyone for manta runovers?
Not for me. It actually makes it harder. Thtere is a caveat to 3rd person view. Unless you are viewing from behind, and zoomed more in, its otherwise hard to judge the distance.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

DrScrotey wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:43 am Same as enyo. Does zoomed out 3rd person help anyone for manta runovers? I'm awful at those. Seriously, if the object would be circle around and avoid the players I would win. Also, 1st person railgun tank -> How I get the kills.
Yes, actually it does help quite a bit. That's something I learned back when the game was new. I never understood how other players were so good at squashing me and I sucked at it so bad. Then I zoomed out.

It's a trade-off. When you zoom out, you have less precision in your aim, but driving is easier and you can see around you and around corners. It also helps when dodging avrils. Try getting in the manta, zoom all the way out, then go for a manta smashing run. Not much shooting, just smashing.

I think it's also less fun. It would be interesting to play the game with all vehicles locked to FP mode. Driving the hellbender around on the Tricky map is an entirely different experience in first person mode than third person.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Forgot to mention, in tanks you can get a sharper upward firing angle if you're in first person view, so I'll go into 1st person quickly to knock out flyers at a sharp angle.

Otherwise, I generally find tanks and other ground vehicles difficult to drive in 1st person. It's a bit disorienting, especially in benders, scorpions and badgers the way they bounce around on the terrain.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

I have the my mousewheel click set to toggle the two, I'm always switching.

On foot I'll default 1st, but switch to 3rd if I want to peek around a corner without being seen.
In a vehicle I'll be in 3rd when navigating but usually switch to 1st when it's time to aim. Except in some vehicles where the crosshair in 1st position is off (mantis). For example you can really snipe some nodes on the junkyard levels with the Mino in 1st position.

Hellbender 1st person view is fun every once in a while but I don't know what they were thinking when deciding to keep that idea.
Tater

Post by Tater »

1st person on foot and fliers, 3rd with tanks and other ground-based vehicles like enyo said.
The only exception for me is the ion on gunshop, it never wants to hit in the pocket of those barrels if I'm in 3rd person.
Also the default tank at 1/2 on dria, never wants to go where I point the cursor.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Tater wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:28 pm 1st person on foot and fliers, 3rd with tanks and other ground-based vehicles like enyo said.
The only exception for me is the ion on gunshop, it never wants to hit in the pocket of those barrels if I'm in 3rd person.
Also the default tank at 1/2 on dria, never wants to go where I point the cursor.
Same with shooting from the ion perch on Masterbath... I need to be in 1st to shoot the tub nodes.