Fix the scoring?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums

Should the Omni Dev staff put in time to fix scoring? Its likely a several week (part time) effort.

Poll runs till Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:28 am

No - rather have new maps/vehicles, I play for fun not too see me name at the top
No votes
Maybe - if its not a huge amount of (volunteer) work it would really help the balancer issues, I'd wait longer for new stuff to fix it.
83%
Yes - Scoring drives everything from balancer, to my own self esteem at seeing my name at the top as reward for my mino whoring.
17%

Total votes: 6

Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Fix the scoring?

Post by Enyo »

DrScrotey wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:41 pm Do we want stalemate matches though?
Not really, but I don't think that would happen if the PPH based balancer works a little better because the scoring is more accurate. Like pooty pointed out, sometimes several high PPH players will be on the same team and still lose. Could be because the bottom half was really weak, OR it could have been because several of those "top tier" players just don't work very well together.

I've played tons of matches where it looks like my team should dominate based on the roster, but we either lose or barely win, and it's usually because of lack of teamwork and comms. I'm personally in the boat of balance in onslaught is not truly achievable, it's too complex. But, we embarked on this road of using a balancer long ago, so might as well make it work as best as possible.
DrScrotey wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:41 pm edit: Nodes constructed per hour may be an influential stat.
I've said that before too, but again, requires using the Stats DB as a data source, requiring too much work to be worth it.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Tater

Post by Tater »

Exactly what Enyo said; Just watched a game (yesterday or so) where the top players on Enyo's team had a lower score compared to the other team's top players, yet Enyo's came out the winner. Teamwork makes the dream work baby. Comms mean everything in a team game. Calling out simple (useful) stuff goes a long way.
I should use my mic more often... I occasionally find myself relying on leader-like players sometimes (Mclovin, Army, Enyo, etc) to point my monkey-brain in the right direction.
It's great when you have someone very knowledgeable using their mic and directing the team. Even better when you have players that listen.
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by McLovin »

Tater wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:07 pm ...
Teamwork makes the dream work baby. Comms mean everything in a team game. Calling out simple (useful) stuff goes a long way.
I should use my mic more often... I occasionally find myself relying on leader-like players sometimes ... to point my monkey-brain in the right direction.
It's great when you have someone very knowledgeable using their mic and directing the team. Even better when you have players that listen.
All this. Without comms, your team is the shit. I'd listen to SolidStool for an hour, because it's useful info. No comms and your team is dead.

Get a Fookin mic you asshats and speak up.

Proposal: Give points for using in-game comms, voice and msgs.