ALL PLEASE READ: Possible cheat/hacks...

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: ALL PLEASE READ: Possible cheat/hacks...

Post by captainsnarf »

Another way to see around corners is to use the vehicle views.

Here is basic 3rd person view

zoom all the way out

now I can see around the corner to the center node

I assume this is how most people see me around the corner when they do.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

captainsnarf wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:30 am Another way to see around corners is to use the vehicle views.

Here is basic 3rd person view

zoom all the way out

now I can see around the corner to the center node

I assume this is how most people see me around the corner when they do.
When I deploy Leviathan, Kraken, Tiamat, Shocker, Pallas, Hospitaler; I switch to 3rd view and while the Singularity Cannon is recharging to fire a new blast, I always look around from a bird's eye view to see if anyone is sneaking up behind me.
Provert

Post by Provert »

While you an see around the corner that way, it takes forever for the mino turret to swing back into position for a hit if they are coming around the corner. That trick is only good if you're trying to get 6 so you can pull out, shoot, and back up. And now you can see anything coming from in front of you or from your left. I wish you could set 180 degree field of view...

It was on MTMU. I'll have to figure out which building again.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Provert wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:50 pm While you an see around the corner that way, it takes forever for the mino turret to swing back into position for a hit if they are coming around the corner. That trick is only good if you're trying to get 6 so you can pull out, shoot, and back up. And now you can see anything coming from in front of you or from your left. I wish you could set 180 degree field of view...

It was on MTMU. I'll have to figure out which building again.
You can set a 180 degree fov in the console. It looks like shit though. Things directly in front of you appear like they’re at the end of a tunnel.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

I record and stream all of my matches on twitch. Lmk if you need any videos from my POV

Also I suspect Azazel of hacking. :D :D
Last edited by Super Sanka on Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xexx

Post by Xexx »

I lagged off the top of masterbath lights today half a dozen times almost, so is a lag switch something that would effect the entire server or just encounters with certain players movements?

I also noticed a bunch of stuff being announced but I didn't really get to read it.

If there are accusations somewhere just say it, DW has been running his mouth about me with everything from I freeze his PC or some bullshit for weeks now, but at this point he's basically just a clone of Joe and I expect some nonsense claim to ignore or laugh at.

I have been experiencing some server issues but I always put it down to a combination of over modding the server with tons of custom stuff that doesn't perform well, along with my ISP or my crypto miner in the background using all my GPU power.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

As far as I understand, a lag switch would not affect the entire server. I think everyone was complaining of lag last night.

There are lots of ways mods could cause performance problems. I think the #1 issue is when a mod has a bug and spams the log. Some log spamming is ok but if the bug is in the e.g. tick() method then it's too much logging and can slow the server down, even crash it. I don't think the lag last night was from a mod though since it happened on some pretty standard maps with old and well tested mods.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:56 am I don't think the lag last night was from a mod though since it happened on some pretty standard maps with old and well tested mods.
There was a series of DDoS attacks on the server last night that were the likely cause of server wide lag.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

We've seen in multiple instances, by multiple players suspicious recurring instances where suspect players display the above time and time again, where other players do not. This has lead to many players complaining about cheats/hacks/unkillable. So we started investigating and recording (both server and client side) so we can match up -- this will expose lag switchers to a great extent. I feel we as admins owe it to the community to investigate, and even contact players privately to discuss.

General server lag, even individual lag caused by crappy network, packet loss (which you can monitor in UT with stat net at the console) will appear and affect all/most players. More often than not any server lag is caused by non-server issues, with the exception of a few overloaded maps (MassD, Minus-Kitchensink are two that come to mind).
With normal lag, moving, taking damage and more importantly aiming/dealing damage are all affected equally.

This is completely different than a lag switch event. The lag switch induces a one way lag on the client to trick the server.
Lag switch only affect a single client, and doesn't really affect overall server play at all other than tricking the server/exploiting how it deals with movement and hit calculations on that interaction -- lag switch is usually a short term event.
So if you read this:
https://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Netspeed_Tutorial_(UT)
Specifically this image: Image
So the UT engine will typically continue movement, in spite of packet loss. What happens are situtations like this:
- You shoot someone/vehicle (actor in UT terms), you and your client thinks they are in one position but because of the induced lag they are not. Server doesn't record the hit--you think you've hit them repeatedly but no.
- Actors appear/disappear and appear to teleport elsewhere...with a lag switch you're still taking damage from them but they've suddenly moved or appeared in a different spot, this includes vehicle explosions where like in a Hammerhead you nearly always die...but suddenly the player appears after the explosion somewhere else.
- Things like Avril locks/rocket locks suddenly "unlock" without an abrupt evasive movements.

Now the UT engine isn't perfect, and you might experience these things now and then for any player.

What we've noticed as Admins that there's a few players who consistently display the above behavior...and almost come out on top of the exchange. So the lag is nearly always a benefit vs. an even "glitch", meaning "I have crappy internet" would mean your aim would also generally suck because the server can't get all the updates to your client. Same with the lag/rubber banding, it would throw off your aim too, you might live but you wouldn't be able to get effective kills either.

We have video from multiple admins/players showing the suspect behaviors...it occurs too frequently to just be a server glitch or general lag...its specific to a few players.

Some players are just better, (I'm not one of them) and have really good aim, really good hand/eye coord, reflexes, or better hardware/network...

We don't want to ban anyone. We don't want anyone to cheat. If you're doing it please stop and we're good. If you do get a message about it, please consider that I'd like nothing more than clear anyone's name first and foremost, this is not a witch hunt. If you're kicking ass all over the place legitimately --- happy fragging. If not, well we will do what we have to.

If anyone feels they want to discuss privately let me know.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

I'm casually searching for aimbot/hacks for ut2004 to see what's still out there and came across this comment on a youtube demo video:
Yea its not a virus i downloaded it on my mac and it works amazing
Thank u... although i am banned from many servers now and despised my many players... just be secretive when using it, don't make it too obvious and u should be fine
#goals
A good peek into this mentality. Maybe I'm weird, but I play to have fun... I'm not necessarily obsessed with winning... and to go to this level.

I'm curious to see if this turns up anything.