ALL PLEASE READ: Possible cheat/hacks...

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: ALL PLEASE READ: Possible cheat/hacks...

Post by pooty »

So as of today, there's one cheating as far as we can tell, and we have multiple measures in place to detect it.

Several players, and usually highly skilled players, get accused and we(Admins) have to do due diligence to investigate. However, lacking any evidence, just because a player can repeatedly beat your ass (eg. Nautikal killing you in your flyer while in a rail tank) doesn't necessarily constitute cheating.

I'll also point out that there's been a couple of players..not regulars and not players you find at the top of the rankings..with known hacks and they've been banned.

Several times, and I've noticed myself, that many of the suspect players, have "odd" or strange reactions to activities in game -- not taking damage (likely due to mismatch of where the client thinks the target is and the server), or getting pushed around instead of run over. The most likely explanation is connection issues and/or engine limitations. However, I've simulated poor connections and that does happen, but aim goes right to shit too -- so while not dying, hard to hit anything either...but there's many factors in play.

I suppose if someone really feels the need to hack to win at a ~20 year old game we play with pretty much the same people...well I have pity on you.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

pooty wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:31 pm So as of today, there's one cheating as far as we can tell, and we have multiple measures in place to detect it.
Spill the beans! Who is it!
pooty

Post by pooty »

I'd have to look up the names, they weren't regular/known players. One of them was someone called unsc_dawnforge or something similar. Another was ("vak","justlesnore","justabetterconjurer","Crim","justaworseengineer") both had known cheats found.
iMad is also banned, I think for other infractions.
Which by the way as PSA if your key is on here: http://punter.vengefulllama.com/ most suspicious keys, I'd recommend getting a new one. In particular this one: 71d5bc2350a20816a36b2cd2c7ee76ec (iMad) seems to be the default GOG key and many of the "bad actors" end up using it.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Super Sanka wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:14 pm After looking at enrons videoclips I remembered a lag event with Xexx and I specifically remembered thinking damn his internet sucks lul. This is the only one I remember.

https://clips.twitch.tv/RacyPrettiestPo ... MfISaaj3qV
Xexx ,there is something definitely going on with your connection, perhaps unintentional, but it needs to be fixed. Sanka's clip shows exactly the kind of thing I and multiple other players have witnessed literally hundreds of times playing against you over the last several years. And virtually every time we experience your "laginess" you get the upper hand. You jump or skip from one location to another, making it seem like you're either taking no damage or miraculously dodging something by blinking out of existence and reappearing somewhere totally different. This happens repeatedly with you, has for years.

The reason you get the upper hand and why you don't notice anything on your end is because it's seemingly only your upload stream that's getting interrupted regularly and not your download. In that case, you wouldn't see any lag on your end, but your opponents do. If the server loses your upload connection for even just a few hundred milliseconds, it does the best it can to render your position for everyone else, meaning if you were moving forward when the upstream lags out, the server shows you to continue moving forward, but you may have in reality shifted directions. If your download is uninterrupted you would continue to see all server action in real time, while you "blip out" and reappear somewhere else (the direction you actually moved) to anyone around you.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt at this point that nothing nefarious is going on, but you 100% have some kind of connection issue that's frequently causing you to "skip" or lag out from the perspective of other players, disrupting regular game play. If you live in a densely populated area of CA, why do you have such bad internet service? I live in the sticks in rural GA, yet get fiber to my house. If money were the issue I'd understand, but isn't your Bitcoin fortune big enough yet to pay for better internet? Or certainly in this housing market, your rentals are doing well I'd expect? So, what gives?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Xexx

Post by Xexx »

Enyo wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:16 am
Super Sanka wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:14 pm After looking at enrons videoclips I remembered a lag event with Xexx and I specifically remembered thinking damn his internet sucks lul. This is the only one I remember.

https://clips.twitch.tv/RacyPrettiestPo ... MfISaaj3qV
Xexx ,there is something definitely going on with your connection, perhaps unintentional, but it needs to be fixed. Sanka's clip shows exactly the kind of thing I and multiple other players have witnessed literally hundreds of times playing against you over the last several years. And virtually every time we experience your "laginess" you get the upper hand. You jump or skip from one location to another, making it seem like you're either taking no damage or miraculously dodging something by blinking out of existence and reappearing somewhere totally different. This happens repeatedly with you, has for years.

The reason you get the upper hand and why you don't notice anything on your end is because it's seemingly only your upload stream that's getting interrupted regularly and not your download. In that case, you wouldn't see any lag on your end, but your opponents do. If the server loses your upload connection for even just a few hundred milliseconds, it does the best it can to render your position for everyone else, meaning if you were moving forward when the upstream lags out, the server shows you to continue moving forward, but you may have in reality shifted directions. If your download is uninterrupted you would continue to see all server action in real time, while you "blip out" and reappear somewhere else (the direction you actually moved) to anyone around you.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt at this point that nothing nefarious is going on, but you 100% have some kind of connection issue that's frequently causing you to "skip" or lag out from the perspective of other players, disrupting regular game play. If you live in a densely populated area of CA, why do you have such bad internet service? I live in the sticks in rural GA, yet get fiber to my house. If money were the issue I'd understand, but isn't your Bitcoin fortune big enough yet to pay for better internet? Or certainly in this housing market, your rentals are doing well I'd expect? So, what gives?
I don't live in CA, I live on acreage in Annetta, Texas, population ~1,200. I'm surrounded by three large ranches (700+ acres each) so there is basically no wired services here. My property is on a pretty large hill and there's only line of sight wireless companies available. Moving would be financially easy enough alone, but this property is income producing with RV spaces I attend and has the advantages that only rural areas do (no building restrictions, I have 15 animals on the property, ATVs, dirtbikes, skid steers, mulitple trailers, 3000sqft shop, etc) so moving for the sake of a game that I'm basically wasting time on isn't personally justifiable.

A commercial internet connection is available through my ISP, which would provide dedicated ping times (I'm told) but they start at $100 for 20mbps symmetrical: https://www.linxusinternet.com/commercial-internet.html

I may try to offload everyone else off my connection onto a separate ISP to see if it helps.

Most of the time my internet is good, despite being low bandwidth (35Mbmps) and shared, but I do believe you as I've noticed that it's getting worse during peak times with heavier usage, especially on weekends, which unfortunately is also the only time the game is played.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Xexx wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:56 pm I don't live in CA, I live on acreage in Annetta, Texas, population ~1,200.
My bad, I thought you told me once that you lived in Cali. Maybe that was someone else, did you move to Texas the last few years?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Enyo wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:27 am
Xexx wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:56 pm I don't live in CA, I live on acreage in Annetta, Texas, population ~1,200.
My bad, I thought you told me once that you lived in Cali. Maybe that was someone else, did you move to Texas the last few years?
I think that's Provert or Solidstate for CA... or wait I think one of them is in Hawaii...