ALL PLEASE READ: Possible cheat/hacks...

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

ALL PLEASE READ: Possible cheat/hacks...

Post by pooty »

Its been brought to our attention from multiple players of some potential cheating. After some investigation, we (Omni Admins) believe that some may be using a lag switch hack/cheat. See here: https://premiumlag.com/lag-switch-faq/

We are investigating, and continue to collect video / server evidence. We would ask in the spirit of competition that if you are doing this, this is your chance to man up and stop. There's several instances of video evidence that's compelling, and verified by more than one Admin. If this is you, please stop.

If we see this continuing we will contact the suspect players privately and individually for an explanation... We really don't want to ban anyone, but if the suspect play doesn't stop we will have to take more drastic measures.
infinitecat

Re: ALL PLEASE READ: Possible cheat/hacks...

Post by infinitecat »

I often spectate the better players to pick up useful tips and I've yet to see anything suspicious. They all have higher scores because they're simply smarter players (though some have remarkably good aim... but I'm an old geezer. What do I know?)
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

There were a couple times spectating I thought I saw something but I can't really say if it was from genuine lag or cheater lag. There is plenty of genuine lag that causes problems.

The only way to really differentiate the two is if there is a pattern being established.

It would be nice to log all the udp traffic going to the server. If you graphed it and someone was cheating, you could see when they turned their switch on and off in the graph.

Something to keep in mind - I know there are certain players that receive hackusations more than others. That will automatically bias your judgement when reviewing the evidence. Try to avoid the situation where you 'know so and so is cheating, just need to find the evidence'. It needs to work the other way, otherwise it's a witch hunt.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

infinitecat wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:06 pm I often spectate the better players to pick up useful tips and I've yet to see anything suspicious. They all have higher scores because they're simply smarter players (though some have remarkably good aim... but I'm an old geezer. What do I know?)
Lag switching isn't something you'd see from spectating a suspect player. It's only experienced on the part of other players playing against the lag switcher. Combination of video from both perspectives helps to prove it's happening when you see the lag event from one player's perspective but not the suspect player's perspective.

Just take pooty's message as a public warning... we strongly suspect specifically lag switching from a very small number of players. If you read this and know you're using a lag switch, this is your chance to quit doing it with no repercussions. Otherwise, the evidence will continue to mount and further action will be taken.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Tater

Post by Tater »

It's a shame that the majority of players on OMNI aren't here on the forum, even long-time players.
I remember a while ago there were occasional large lag spikes... I thought you guys found out it was someone attacking the actual server or whatever hosts omni, and it wasn't someone within omni.

Hadn't experienced too much lag in the two or so times I've hopped on this past month (I'm the lag switcher!), hope it gets sorted out though.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Tater wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:57 pm It's a shame that the majority of players on OMNI aren't here on the forum, even long-time players.
I remember a while ago there were occasional large lag spikes... I thought you guys found out it was someone attacking the actual server or whatever hosts omni, and it wasn't someone within omni.

Hadn't experienced too much lag in the two or so times I've hopped on this past month (I'm the lag switcher!), hope it gets sorted out though.
There were some DDoS attacks that were causing lag spikes for everyone on the server, those are unrelated. Those seem to have improved, and even though there's still occasional server-wide lag events, just about everyone feels those and usually at the same time. Lag created by lag switches are experienced only by the players that are close to and looking at the player lag switching.

It's also a matter of pattern, these potential "lag switch events" never happen with most players, but repeatedly happen with the same small set of players. If it's not a lag switch, then it's a crappy internet connection that needs to be updated before returning to the server.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Tater wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:57 pm It's a shame that the majority of players on OMNI aren't here on the forum, even long-time players.
Maybe verified forum members get two map votes?

If there is cheating on this server, I've gotten comfortable with it. But if they get kicked or stop, then I'm of course cool with that too.
Provert

Post by Provert »

I sepc'ed a player a few weeks, maybe it's months now, back and saw they were exploiting a flaw in the map. I couldn't undertsand how they were doing what they were doing until I pressed F4 and saw what they saw. I've tried it myself and was able to do it, as well. On some buildings, if you get right up to the wall, the building disappears and you can see the enemy coming up. Explains how some players know you're about to round a corner and get the perfect shot off.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Provert wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:11 am I sepc'ed a player a few weeks, maybe it's months now, back and saw they were exploiting a flaw in the map. I couldn't undertsand how they were doing what they were doing until I pressed F4 and saw what they saw. I've tried it myself and was able to do it, as well. On some buildings, if you get right up to the wall, the building disappears and you can see the enemy coming up. Explains how some players know you're about to round a corner and get the perfect shot off.
If you know of any map exploits, please PM pooty on what you know so he can fix those.
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

The only way to really differentiate the two is if there is a pattern being established.
Correct. We've identified several patterns, and have several videos of it. We will be comparing server side video and client side...this can show a lag switch. We don't want to witch hunt, but lots of complaints about hacks and want to 1. Make sure community understands we want to address that and 2. This thread gives any offenders a chance to stop.
We don't want to make any accusations or any public shaming until they've been contacted privately or the evidence is overwhelming. If its truly a glitch or spotty network...but that would work both ways and what we've seen seems to be just one way (as described in the url)
I sepc'ed a player a few weeks, maybe it's months now, back and saw they were exploiting a flaw in the map
This is a kickable offense. That being said, at times the engine doesn't quite render right and you can see through things you shouldn't or pop up out of vehicle in a bad spot. I will try to fix those in a map, but any map glitch exploits (we had one a few years back where you could sitck a the cannon through the fence, shoot and never get hit)..will get a kick, warning, and if it continues a ban.