The newb list.

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

The newb list.

Post by McLovin »

We get maybe 1 or 2 newbs a week. They become easy attention targets because they drag their team down into oblivion. I tell them to spectate Leon, our best player, to learn some things.

The newb list:

1. Bluecat77, has played only 5 times in the last year. Total newb. No text comms responses that I could tell.
2. FragMaster@Linux, total newb, just started playing. They know how to text comms. But haven't a clue what to do.

Debating whether this should be a private forum matter or open to everybody for comment. If the other admins think this should be discussed privately maybe move it. I think it would be good to get everybody on board so we all can educate and mentor the new people together. We're a small shrinking community. We can't afford to lose new people, especially if they feel bullied because they don't know what they are doing.
pooty

Re: The newb list.

Post by pooty »

My rule is if they are trying, even if really bad let them play and as Admins we should make sure the server is welcoming and keep the chronic complainers off their backs. Imagine if you got the game, said "Hey this server looks popular" then played and had constant berating from a bunch of the current players....not sure I'd want to come back. So +1 on no bullying.

Agreed if they get on the forum, we can have tips on how to play, and they can certainly learn the basics offline. That being said, online is more fun, more variety (compared to stock offline UT2004).
COLDCUT

Post by COLDCUT »

poof
Last edited by COLDCUT on Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
pooty

Post by pooty »

We had a few newbs today (perhaps, DarkLady, denozzo, and a couple others I didn't catch...)
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:44 pm We had a few newbs today (perhaps, DarkLady, denozzo, and a couple others I didn't catch...)
Yeah, it appears we've had several "noobs" on lately, but several seemed to actually know how to play.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yep, I think they install, look for a populated server and go....
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

pooty wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:59 am Yep, I think they install, look for a populated server and go....
In CS:GO, when you check the number of current active players it's something like 500,000 regularly. You're literally playing with people who you will most likely never work with again (which is probably a huge part of why that community is so toxic). Yeah I'm sure when an average Steam user jumps in to UT, sees 50 servers and all but one of them are empty it looks pretty pathetic. It's also pretty obvious we're all older.

Really though, if thousands of people flooded back into UT, I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. I'd probably want this server to have a password. We have plenty of assholes in our server, but the constant knuckle dragging n-word-saying, f-slur-saying, 20-year-old addicted to vaping people in chat on modern games is insane. "Bruh... bruh.... mBRUH!"