I'm bored

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: I'm bored

Post by pooty »

Moved this thread to General for visibility (not like most of us don't see it anyway).

I agree with Enyo.

So a couple of things to implement.

- Increase Map Rotation - I suggest 20+ This is easy to do, and should help with rotation.

- Implement "Map Packs" - Move maps/in out of rotation, so that maybe we have a maximum number of maps availalble. We'd have to keep a few of the "classics"/old favorites all the time, but rest could be moved in/out. For example, do we want 5+ Randomizers? Counterpoint those are nearly the most popular maps.... This is the most labor intensive (for me) option

- Utilize "Admin's Choice" on voting to play less played maps -- gather feedback on those maps to either take them off, put in map pack rotation, or in the queue for re-edit etc. Another easy one..

- Remove out of date maps/maps that are flawed. I've already removed a few (and no one has missed them). This isn't a remove it because I don't like it, but think of maps that stalemate too easily or are very lopsided. Its more subjective and some will want Minus-TMU-Randomizer removed, others will want maps like BiggerBeerBattle gone. So this one is harder to moderate.

I think increasing the rotation should be done immediately, IMO. Let the campers camp--they mostly whine when its a newer map/edit where they don't want to bother figuring out where to set up the tent, while Enyo/Leon/Xexx etc grabs the faster vehicles and run the table. I think the larger rotation will help cure this, or they will just leave and go play slow ass WOT. I guess the question is how many will leave because they can't sit in a tank and drive around all day?

Some of it is just, what you could call ADD/selfishness, I don't like this map so I'll leave or not play hard. Fair enough, but sometimes playing a map more than 3 or 4 times makes it more enjoyable as you figure out the strategies vs. hey lets set the mino on the hill and spam.

From a map editing standpoint, I am leaning toward less power (MassD/Randomizer-KS being the pinnacle of OP chaos), with more strategic vehicle placement/combinations (like on HSH Xmas, you can get three players to essentially keep the Hospitaler alive indefinitely.... linking odin which then links the Hospitaler, while the singularity cannon blasts away). More careful placement of map breaking vehicles (MAS, Ifrit/Omega/Starbolt, Spankers/Minos) so that they become more of a target/key objective.

I'm happy to re-edit maps / randomizers, but feedback is needed (eg. remove MegaSpanker except for MegaArena -- (Personal note, its kind of fun on JY maps....)).

If I get a chance, I'll post up a list of maps currently on the server (or maybe use a google sheet, for commentary).
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:29 am I don't think it can be forced. The people that want to play as a team game are voting for the maps, they just aren't winning.
Not forced, but maybe guided. And, just like for any organization, mission and vision need to be determined before taking any major action, or before even forming a plan of action. Doing anything without a mission/vision is just throwing spaghetti at the wall.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

I'm all about extreme experimentation. Let's disable minus and the junkyard maps for a day and see what gets voted. I love playing maps like Ganja, guitar captaingordons and masterbath . Hell I played Tek once and it stopped getting voted! That map is awesome!

I admit I'm very sniper-y but I've been going to nodes as of late! :D
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Super Sanka wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:15 pm I admit I'm very sniper-y but I've been going to nodes as of late! :D
Yes you have! You've been even more of a pain in my ass at the nodes lately than you usually are in a rail/laser tank. Keep it up!!!

That's what I'm always trying to get thru to you guys that are great shots but like to snipe... you're phenomenally more helpful to your team at nodes than the noobs that come to nodes but can't hit anything without an avril. And you're typically more helpful at the nodes than you are sitting back and sniping.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:25 pm ...
I'd love to see a 32 player match
Isn't there someplace on the internet to promote the server and the game more to bring in more new blood?
pooty

Post by pooty »

There's reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealtournament/
https://www.reddit.com/r/UT2004/
Gametracker.
Facebook (we have a group)
Discord (we have a channel)

Maybe we could as Elon Musk to promote us once he buys twitter.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

It's hard to convince people this game is cool. Even gamer friends of mine are always like "yeah... no". It's probably not appealing for someone curious to go into a game, find the "standard servers only" box, see there are only a couple dozen remaining (with two of them populated), and join only to get your ass whooped by people who have been playing this game every day for the past 20 years.

Bringing up CS:GO again but it's funny because the people in that game are pretty young so you're often playing against middle school through college-aged kids. We've been playing this game longer than they've been alive.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Enyo

Post by Enyo »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:38 pm It's hard to convince people this game is cool. Even gamer friends of mine are always like "yeah... no". It's probably not appealing for someone curious to go into a game, find the "standard servers only" box, see there are only a couple dozen remaining (with two of them populated), and join only to get your ass whooped by people who have been playing this game every day for the past 20 years.
All very true, but you know who still probably thinks this game is cool and don't have the same entry skill barrier is former players. People like Binger, Hardspike, Lagzilla, and even older back like Carpe, TurboK and that bunch... if only there was some way to get in touch with them all and convince them to come back. :?:
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Enyo wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:44 pm
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:38 pm It's hard to convince people this game is cool. Even gamer friends of mine are always like "yeah... no". It's probably not appealing for someone curious to go into a game, find the "standard servers only" box, see there are only a couple dozen remaining (with two of them populated), and join only to get your ass whooped by people who have been playing this game every day for the past 20 years.
All very true, but you know who still probably thinks this game is cool and don't have the same entry skill barrier is former players. People like Binger, Hardspike, Lagzilla, and even older back like Carpe, TurboK and that bunch... if only there was some way to get in touch with them all and convince them to come back. :?:
Yeah they might like the 2.0 server. Perhaps some are still on the facebook group?