I'm bored

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
amightytribble

Re: I'm bored

Post by amightytribble »

This thread is the perfect example of why I lurk here and rarely post. I truly appreciate all the work that goes into and has been done to make 'the server' better. But I am frustrated by the lack of acknowledgement that the move to the super fast and super powerful (any vehicle should only be one or the other not both) weapons has drastically changed the feel and pace of the game. Players should be able to play any 'style' as long as they are helping the team. This thread wants to point the finger at "the constant spamming of tank maps" and "lazy tank camping sobs that rarely go anywhere near nodes". Talk about tone deaf. This thread would never have been posted prior to all the super weapons. You are going to have fewer folks running to nodes if they know a flying ion cannon is gonna kill 4 in single shot from halfway across the map. Success will come to the team that plays better together that's axiomatic. The solution to me is simple edit the vehicle database back down. Flying super weapons get the delete key. The Mechs with the fucked up hitbox, the flying saucers that can outrun an Avril, the MAPS that drive faster than a manta flies have thoroughly changed the flavor and pace of the game and some folks like it but a lot do not and the fact that they aren't heard here speaks volumes.
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by captainsnarf »

There are a lot of other maps on the server that don't have crazy vehicles or flying super weapons.

They don't get voted.

I admit I'm guilty of making a lot of that stuff! :D Happy to see it get voted but also terrified that is all that gets voted. I'm always voting MB, ganjasroom, hanger18, guitarshop. Sometimes they win, but usually we are having tank battles.
amightytribble

Post by amightytribble »

That is true, but they 'don't' get voted by the same mechanism as the the ones that do get voted. My opinion remains gut the vehicle database back down. MAPS and Mechs should not be on randomizers at all.
pooty

Post by pooty »

There's actually quite a bit of discussion on reducing or getting rid of the OP vehicles, and that they contribute to unbalanced play...so yes we've heard it. Certain maps -- MassD, KitchenSink are pure OP Chaos, but I (we) don't want every map like that for sure.

WRT to Mechs, I don't think they are that "gamebreaking" considering a mino easily wrecks them, and a foot soldier with a Lightning Gun takes them out pretty easily. And wouldn't they be better on Randomizers where there's plenty of other vehicles that can take out the big ones? Look at how hard it is to get the Kraken down on red planet if you have no mino...

And DJY-Rando, and Minus-TMU are both very limited in the random flier selection...and are mostly ground tanks. Some don't like that they'd rather have the flyers -- so there's maps for that.

Certain flyers are map/game breaking, and need to be used with care -- we've also taken several of those and made them much weaker or have weakness (eg. Predator had damage and health reduced as well as extra damage from avrils)... so we do hear that and take it into account.

As far as new maps, I welcome all the feedback, but would ask for it here, not during the game.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Wednesday night's lineup:

ONS-MinusBadgerMeUp-Beta23
ONS-ArcticJunkYard-)o(-Randomizer
ONS-Dria-Randomizer-V20
ONS-RedPlanet-DjAyT-2014-V2
ONS-ArcticJunkYard-V4
ONS-Minus-KitchenSink-Randomizer
ONS-DesertJunkYard-TMU-Randomizer
ONS-Minus-McLovins-MEGA-ARENA-V8
ONS-MassDestructi)o(nWideSpread-
ONS-MoonMines-)o(-V1-Beta2

I started playing after dinner/work in the middle of Minus-KitchenSink. I left and hopped into some other games when I saw MEGA-ARENA was going to win the vote. While playing the other games, I checked back to see what was going on (because UT is still the best game ever) but it was MassD so I never rejoined.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

captainsnarf wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:53 am ...
I left and hopped into some other games when I saw MEGA-ARENA was going to win the vote.
You missed one of the most rousing hail-mary comebacks I've seen in a while. I think we had 32 players and even tho Red dominated at least 1 game, they needed core hits to win the match in the last round. And that was after having the entire map and then losing it all again. It was down to the last few seconds and red did it. I couldn't believe it. Hella-fun. I was pretty buzzed at that moment but remember laughing hard when Man-of-Steel, now SGT_Airborne, would say on voice his classic lines, "Watch it mino, there's a guy on your left". LOL We all were rolling and laughing our asses off. Which mino, where you at, who you talking to Man-of-Steel?

https://omnipotents2.site.nfoservers.co ... match=5003
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

captainsnarf wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:53 am Wednesday night's lineup:

ONS-Dria-Randomizer-V20
ONS-ArcticJunkYard-V4

I started playing after dinner/work in the middle of Minus-KitchenSink. I left and hopped into some other games when I saw MEGA-ARENA was going to win the vote. While playing the other games, I checked back to see what was going on (because UT is still the best game ever) but it was MassD so I never rejoined.
Make a map called minus junkyard that combines the two maps somehow lul
amightytribble

Post by amightytribble »

captainsnarf wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:53 am Wednesday night's lineup:

ONS-Dria-Randomizer-V20
ONS-ArcticJunkYard-V4

Sure those are the maps that get played the most and if you push the lockout too far people simply wont show up. I think the important thing is to realize why this is the paradigm and it is not because of the "the constant spamming of tank maps" and "lazy tank camping sobs that rarely go anywhere near nodes". Some of the more traditional maps get voted often, Dria which was named to 'boring', red planet, masterbath, and the regular junkyard maps (artic and desert) these are more conventional maps chosen often but get downvoted by not by the 'randomizer voters' but my observation is the folks who don't wanna play randomizer vote against these because 'sigh not again'. EDIT: Also a couple of the above votes were real close like 1 vote and I often vote the lesser of two bad choices.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

BEHIND YOU BEHIND YOU BEHIND YOU!!!
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Tonight was fun. Mostly tanks but still fun. You never know with randomizers. Sometimes you get a bunch of minos and flyers and other times you get paladins and flak rats. Tater even made a cameo