I'm bored

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

I'm bored

Post by captainsnarf »

Same old maps, same old tank wars, or tanks vs planes. I try to make mods to spice things up but didn't think they need to be on every map but everybody voting for randomizers makes it happen anyway. It's turned into those mass destruction servers.

Not sure what to do as it's what the people vote for. Whenever a DM type map gets voted people leave.

It's too much tank spamming for me. I end up playing other games.
infinitecat

Re: I'm bored

Post by infinitecat »

My opinion only:

The problem is weapons that can take down a node in one shot, like the Mino, etc., which defeat any strategic approach and reduces the game to chaos. It takes effort to build a node and it should take similar effort to destroy it.

If we extend the super-weapon approach to its extreme we end up with a super-nuke that kills everyone and everything on the board, ending the match, and that's just dumb.

I know players favor big, spectacular destruction but it truly hinders teamwork, which is what makes UT2004 tick.

(Noticeable exclusion is Mega Arena, which is DESIGNED to be pure chaos.)
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

infinitecat wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:13 pm ...
(Noticeable exclusion is Mega Arena, which is DESIGNED to be pure chaos.)
FALSE

Mega Arena has a very simple strategy that all but a few fail to comprehend.

How to play Mega Arena smarter is all documented here: https://omnipotents2.site.nfoservers.co ... 57381#p325
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

On MEGA I just drive around in a spanker. The only thing to do on that map is spawn kill or get spawn killed. It's better with less people. Then there is strategy. With a full house it is chaos
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Snarf... I'd suggest the Monster Evolution server. It's been dead for quite a while but occasionally there are 2-4 people in it. Think of it as Halo single player but co-op. A player (goes by @nt) made a bunch of massive intricate maps with the RPG style power-ups. If you want to give it a wheel sometime let me know and I'll hop in there with you and show you.

For a couple of years this server was consistently populated right around the time Omni went to bed so it was nice to get more playing time if I wanted. BlownUPs plays there a lot too.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Its why I wanted to increase the map rotation limit -- to like 24. So you'd never play same map two nights in a row.

Its not even tank spamming. Its same half dozen or so maps, and very little voting support for voting anything else.

There's a nice variety of maps:

TankSpammy Maps: Arena anything, MassD
TankFocusedMaps
Big/Small Vehicle Maps.
Several more lower powered vehicle maps - eg. no mino/mega/ion/falcon/ifrit flyers.
More foot solider focused maps with some vehicles (Dreamus, Spiffingrad, Guitarshop, Ganga, MB, etc.)

No matter they will vote Minus-Randomizer, JY-Randomizer, Nevermore, Dria, MB, wash rinse repeat.

Heck we played TAL last night and it felt like ages since we played that....

I've kind of given up making new map edits--I spend 10x the time editing, than we ever play. Yes, I realize some of them don't quite measure up, but hard to get the balance just right playing with bots.

And dare I say, 75% of our players don't learn any new techniques, heck we just had a question last night..what does this Pallas thing do?! And it wasn't from a new player (which we've had a half dozen or so last week). They get frustrated with a new map or new vehicle (its so OP, when it can be killed with a little skill or imagination)...and vote for the old stand by maps.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Yeah I don't know why TAL gets so much hate... For the popular maps that's one of my favorites. I actually enjoy Minus and Junk and would play them every night. I've never really like Nevermore and am starting to get sick of Dria. I guess everyone has their own tastes. But friggin-A, I'd love to see a 32 player match on a rare map but nobody sticks around.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Got to play moonmines last night... and my team mostly stood around complaining and waiting for next map. :cry: At least it got voted! :D
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:53 am Same old maps, same old tank wars, or tanks vs planes. I try to make mods to spice things up but didn't think they need to be on every map but everybody voting for randomizers makes it happen anyway. It's turned into those mass destruction servers.

Not sure what to do as it's what the people vote for. Whenever a DM type map gets voted people leave.

It's too much tank spamming for me. I end up playing other games.
I think OMNI is soon coming to an inflection point where one of two things will happen, depending on how the current powers that be decide to handle things going forward:

1. Do nothing: the really good players will stop coming around (this has already started) because they are indeed bored... bored of playing the same tank-heavy MTMU maps and randomizer/total chaos maps. And they're tired of the players that do little to help their team. Result is you're eventually left with nothing but the lazy tank camping sobs that rarely go anywhere near nodes, i.e. the Ecmerds of the server will be the only player type left, and we're already heading there. Whatever decent mid-level player that's left will be "King of the Turds" for a while, until they too get bored. Soon after, the server will likely go the way of all other ONS servers, empty.

2. The powers that be will decide to "save" OMNI and begin taking measures to make the server more enjoyable for the players that actually try to play the game as intended, as a team game where players coordinate to target nodes/cores. The best way to do it is probably drastically increasing map rotation cool-down to limit re-voting of the same maps in a 24-48 hour timeframe, as pooty suggested. Another, maybe more drastic option could be cracking down on the "Excessive Campers" including those that sit for long periods of time in a tank at one spot where they are not useful at all to their team, i.e. setting the levi up on the core hill on Nevermore when your team controls most or all of the map, dumb, but happens all the time. Yes, this is subjective, but admins would need to create some kind of threshold for kicking Excessive Campers.

The result of option 2 is the Excessive Campers and lazy tank camping sobs will likely start disappearing, but I see that as a feature, not a bug. However, the good players will more likely stick around, even with a somewhat diminished number of players, but at this point we'd be going for quality over quantity. With this game as old as it is, the question we need to ask is, who exactly are we trying to preserve this game for? The players that still actually play, or the lazy sobs and fuck arounds that are quickly killing the game? Trying to please both groups is not working out.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I don't think it can be forced. The people that want to play as a team game are voting for the maps, they just aren't winning.

It's kind of endemic of the whole industry. We have Fortnite and not UT5 because everybody is more casual and not as many hardcore competitive gamers left. This happens in a lot of gaming scenes I think. It happened in tekken. The skill ceiling was too high in tekken 2 so they made eddy gordo in tekken 3 so players could mash buttons and win. Casual players loved it but skilled players hated it - why try and learn when you can just mash buttons. It gave casual players a fighting chance though and did make the game more popular.

I think the maps that haven't been played in 2-3 months should be pulled at this point. We should have the 5-6 maps that are always voted + 5-6 less popular maps. The maps that never get voted are cluttering up voting for the less popular maps. It's too much choice and people just go with what is familiar. It's not book burning! more like a spam/noise filter.