What did I miss?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
2Fast4U

What did I miss?

Post by 2Fast4U »

What happened to cause the changeover?

Q and Necro give up?
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: What did I miss?

Post by pooty »

Yes, Q decided it was time to pass Omni to the next generation. Unfortunately, we had the old forum (hosted by Q) up for a while, but some software issues caused him to have to shut it off ;-(

On the server front, the Omni server, that was owned?/maintained by Analog is actually still up, but no one was able to actually contact him despite several efforts via email from Carpe and others. The current crew as you can see from forums here has added some newer/edited maps, and created/tweaked a bunch of vehicles.
2Fast4U

Post by 2Fast4U »

That’s unfortunate but I understand that.

Last time I tried to contact Logi was about a year ago on Origin.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

2Fast4U wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:38 am What happened to cause the changeover?
I'd say the old Omni server was like a drifting ghost ship without a crew or captain. Even tho we had a new admin staff since 2019, we couldn't fix anything that broke on the server or add new stuff easily. We didn't have the access rights, ie, passwords, etc. So it was time to rehost to a new forum and server with people that were in attendance. "All hands on deck soldier." - Battle Los Angeles.

Now, our biggest threat to existence is the dwindeling player community. "All you had to do was show up." -GTKY. Our numbers have steadily dropped. We probably lost 1/4 our players in the transition alone. A full server is a rarety and active evening sessions run 2 maybe to 3 hours at most. The days of all-day pick-up play anytime are long gone. :(
2Fast4U

Post by 2Fast4U »

McLovin wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:43 pm
2Fast4U wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:38 am What happened to cause the changeover?
I'd say the old Omni server was like a drifting ghost ship without a crew or captain. Even tho we had a new admin staff since 2019, we couldn't fix anything that broke on the server or add new stuff easily. We didn't have the access rights, ie, passwords, etc. So it was time to rehost to a new forum and server with people that were in attendance. "All hands on deck soldier." - Battle Los Angeles.

Now, our biggest threat to existence is the dwindeling player community. "All you had to do was show up." -GTKY. Our numbers have steadily dropped. We probably lost 1/4 our players in the transition alone. A full server is a rarety and active evening sessions run 2 maybe to 3 hours at most. The days of all-day pick-up play anytime are long gone. :(
Maybe the discussion needs to start gearing towards another game with the same characteristics and ability to be mod needs to start happening. As much as that sucks and I love this game the player base has been dwindling as a whole since UT3 started and failed.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Welcome back! Don't let the current low attendance numbers get you down... it always gets slower this time of year thru summer. Up until about a month ago we were almost filling the server up on Fri and Sat nights, with 20+ on most weeknights, albeit later and for less time than in the past, as McLovin pointed out. But, we've also been picking up some new players.

All is not lost for UT2K4. Most of the players left are 40+ yrs old and we'll probably all hang onto this great time waster as long as we can!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Colbye

Post by Colbye »

Tomorrow's a big day...at night lol
HEAD CHEESE
2Fast4U

Post by 2Fast4U »

Enyo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:52 am Welcome back! Don't let the current low attendance numbers get you down... it always gets slower this time of year thru summer. Up until about a month ago we were almost filling the server up on Fri and Sat nights, with 20+ on most weeknights, albeit later and for less time than in the past, as McLovin pointed out. But, we've also been picking up some new players.

All is not lost for UT2K4. Most of the players left are 40+ yrs old and we'll probably all hang onto this great time waster as long as we can!
Noted, I just mean in general as with most games all hit that point sooner or later. Good to know when to join though.

I myself am not young either so I won’t complain haha. I have a few forum licenses laying around if y’all would like any help. I’ve been hosting things and doing server administration for several years now (Linux).
pooty

Post by pooty »

I have a few forum licenses laying around if y’all would like any help. I’ve been hosting things and doing server administration for several years now (Linux).
Nice. So far pretty good deal for us with nfo servers. They host the game, forum and redirect for just about $400 a year. We don't get direct command line/shell access, but I'm ok with that, as they back up everything and keep it running so we don't have to...

Only thing we really need is a better anti-spam plugin here for phpBB. Even with the captcha they still get through...that's why we have the question, which makes it easy to spot them, but then we have to delete them -- usually anywhere from 2-8 a day...
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Colbye wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:08 pm Tomorrow's a big day...at night lol
I will be there Head Cheese!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain