Start a "competetive" 5v5 Omni server?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Start a "competetive" 5v5 Omni server?

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Hey, throwing this out there but would it be a good idea to start a second Omni server with a cap at 10 or so players? This would be a dedicated "competitive" server that would be used for scheduled matches where people going to play seriously? It doesn't even need to be up all the time, or maybe it's password protected. I don't think it'd take from our current server if it were to be used a couple of times per month.

I think it'd be fun to play on a small team where people are willing to coordinate and communicate. Maybe this server would have a longer countdown time before the match starts to make any kind of attack plans.

With our discussions lately of slackers who are playing casually, maybe this could help those who want to play more seriously to get their fix while keeping the original server going.
captainsnarf

Re: Start a "competetive" 5v5 Omni server?

Post by captainsnarf »

I've been getting my fix on the HoC server. Hard part is they are usually done by 5pm PST, but is good because it doesn't really conflict with omni prime time.

Also Carpe says hi :)
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

You don't even need a 2nd server to do this. Just pick a time slot outside the primetime. Primetime that I can tell is a 4 hour block from 1900 CDT to 2300. Saturday or Sundays during the day could work.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Not trying to steal the thread, but another idea is dedicated maps at specific times during the day. Do a signup sheet for who wants what maps at what times. All outside the primetime block of 1900 CDT to 2300. Wanna get your Nevermore Fix and more than 5 people signed up for 1500 on a Sunday afternoon, then an admin can load the map for yas and have at it. 1600 and the JunkYard people get their fix, etc.
Colbye

Post by Colbye »

Why not a tournament :)
HEAD CHEESE
leon

Post by leon »

There was a similar experience about two years ago. About 30 people signed up. But only three showed up on the day of the game. This is where it all came to a halt (Ask RUDirtyRando. He was in charge). I'm for it, but now we have a lot less players.
Colbye

Post by Colbye »

leon wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:58 pm There was a similar experience about two years ago. About 30 people signed up. But only three showed up on the day of the game. This is where it all came to a halt (Ask RUDirtyRando. He was in charge). I'm for it, but now we have a lot less players.
We could have a pool of substitutes if someone doesn't show.

P.S. leon you're the man :)
HEAD CHEESE
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Their popular time starts about 10am EST our time. Wake your asses up and play some games :)
Colbye

Post by Colbye »

I'd be down for that on a Sunday or Monday! Id be curious how the teams would be created.
HEAD CHEESE
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Definitely a weekend daytime thing. The hard part is going to get people to show up, especially in the summer when our numbers are down.