Team Balance

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
Super Sanka

Team Balance

Post by Super Sanka »

There have been a few lopsided games as of late. Is that due to the stat database wipe? Do you guys still balance teams from the assigned point value per player? If so maybe it's time to use a different metric. The only stat imo that is worth anything in terms of team balance is winrate %. True balance can never be attained in ONS but the closest thing to it would be that if it's even possible. Having the game force each team to 50 % is the only solution. That has been evident for a while now.
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Team Balance

Post by captainsnarf »

The balancer has it's own database and is not affected by the stats wipe.

sort by score per hour

sort by win rate

filter out peeps with less than 10 matches. Which looks better to you? Dr Scrotey is a very good player, but I wouldn't put him above Xexx.

We did modify the balancer slightly. The known good players like Xexx, Leon, etc get extra bonus points in an attempt to keep them off the same team. I added the balance command so we can see the numbers. I was working on a new balance command that would show each player individually, but had to back out as it's not really possible to spam that much info without also making a custom HUD.

That match on Dria tonight was pretty brutal, but I chalk it up to the randomizer vehicles. I got killed multiple times trying to use the link nuke. Leon can be pretty unstoppable in certain vehicles.

I didn't make the balancer, just some slight modifications to it, but it's heavily based on score per hour. Changing it to something else would be a lot of work and lot of testing.

One thing I do know for sure, if I made a new balancer that worked on % win rate and was perfect in every way, people would still complain :) There are so many games where it was a good game, close game, but people complain about balance because they didn't win.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Team Balance

Post by pooty »

And stats like win rate, have to be computed outside of UT. The game itself doesn't keep track--so there'd be plenty to write... and leon would still be brutal in several vehicles. And the biggest flaw in the balancer is team play -- teams that work together and have a good mix win. Teams of all aggressive charge forward, or all DM, or all sit back snipe...lose even if they have tons of points kills.