When we collapse?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

When we collapse?

Post by McLovin »

When we stop paying our bills, this forum will go offline. Where is a good place to archive all this? We don't want the same fate as the old forum. What a waste. I'm pissed it's gone.
captainsnarf

Re: When we collapse?

Post by captainsnarf »

You could probably zip up the whole folder and download it.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

captainsnarf wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:11 am You could probably zip up the whole folder and download it.
I use a web-crawler, ie, https://www.httrack.com/. When I've done these before the output is an html tree that anyone can traverse as if it was the original. So any software that is currently being used to host the forum wouldn't be required. It's just an html dump of the entire file system. I could place it on a public google drive so anybody could traverse it that had the url. I was intending to do this with the old forum, but it went offline before I could crawl it.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Just keep paying the bills. Right now we have about 8 months of payments accounted for. I figure around 6 months left time to start a donation drive.
And I have access to all the files. The Forum is stored in a database.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

When nobody plays on the server anymore and it sits idle for months, is when the bills will stop being paid. I don't expect this to happen any time soon, maybe 5 years down the road. But the writing is on the wall. The DeathWarrant server has been idle for years now. Plus the original Omni server still shows up in the active server list.
Colbye

Post by Colbye »

How much is needed to fund the server for 1 year? I am willing to pay that.
HEAD CHEESE
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Colbye wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:01 pm How much is needed to fund the server for 1 year? I am willing to pay that.
1 BILLION dollars... and some freakin' sharks with freakin' laser beams on their heads!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Enyo wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:07 am
Colbye wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:01 pm How much is needed to fund the server for 1 year? I am willing to pay that.
1 BILLION dollars... and some freakin' sharks with freakin' laser beams on their heads!
Yeah dude I'm gonna need a billion dollars. Let me know when you have it and I'll DM you my Venmo. I'll throw a big ut2004 LAN party for you all too. You can come swim in my pool but I'm gonna have to fly you all on Spirit Air if that's okay.
pooty

Post by pooty »

w
Right now its $112 a quarter, or $436 a year, and based on the last round of donations we still have $397 in our account. After next quarter we might want to have donation drive. There's been talk of a dedicated server which is much more expensive but would (in theory) allow for better performance....but hard to beat $436 a year which pays for the game server, redirect and this forum.
Colbye

Post by Colbye »

WTF I was thinking like $100 lol
HEAD CHEESE