Abandoned stolen vehicles timer

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Abandoned stolen vehicles timer

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Hey so I just remembered this.

On an old server I used to play on (UMG League), the server was set up so that if you stole an enemy vehicle and then got out of it, the vehicle would not automatically reset until an enemy got back in it or if it got destroyed. Meaning you could carjack someone's raptor, go fly it to a hard to reach area, get out, heal it enough so it's not smoking for added stealth, suicide, and the vehicle wouldn't respawn back for them unless one of them found it and stole it back or killed it.

This was a demo server, so I assume it was a default setting, but a common play was to carjack a Raptor or Manta, then fly it back to your base or up in the hills and ditch it. I thought it was a fun element to the game because you had to really keep an eye on your vehicle and pay attention for that car alarm sound effect. Sometimes a team would be wondering why they were low on vehicles and someone would have to go for a search.

Would this be lame on our server or fun? "Nobody touch this hammerhead at our base it's blue team's" We already have a keen eye for not shooting abandoned enemy vehicles. I think with this setting it makes the theft more fun and impactful... like taking it to the chop shop or something. Then if somebody steals your vehicle, you'd better friggin go after them.
captainsnarf

Re: Abandoned stolen vehicles timer

Post by captainsnarf »

It was probably the flag 'bNeverReset' of the vehicles. I don't see anywhere in stock code that this is updated beyond what the vehicles start with. It must have been a mutator or customized vehicle. The only vehicle that has it set true is the Leviathan.

What is wrong with running away and healing your stolen vehicle?
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

captainsnarf wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:38 am It was probably the flag 'bNeverReset' of the vehicles. I don't see anywhere in stock code that this is updated beyond what the vehicles start with. It must have been a mutator or customized vehicle. The only vehicle that has it set true is the Leviathan.

What is wrong with running away and healing your stolen vehicle?
I'm saying instead of stealing a vehicle and being committed to using it (or somebody else using it), if they never reset, you could abandon the vehicle somewhere and keep it out of play for the other team as long as they didn't find it. I'm not sure if I'm doing a good job of describing it
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Not the same thing, but on MTMU maps I could push the enemy's mino out of their base with the hoverboard. I'd push it behind their base where they wouldn't see it. I would cry laughing so hard every time I heard somebody on their team say, "Where the fuck is our mino. I haven't seen it all game."

Once when I was really bored and nobody was on the server. I pushed my mino into the enemy's mino spawn point. Their mino was already safely hidden behind their base. I think only once did somebody actually join the server to find their mino missing, but the enemy's mino in their base. It was locked so they couldn't get into it. LOL
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Oh I understand how it would never reset. It just seems like a better/more fair mechanic that you have to keep it and heal it up.

It would be a pretty simple mutator to make. Here it is actually :lol:

Code: Select all

class NoVehicleResetMutator extends Mutator
	HideDropDown
	CacheExempt;

function bool CheckReplacement( Actor Other, out byte bSuperRelevant )
{
    if(ONSVehicle(Other) != None)
    {
        ONSVehicle(Other).bNeverReset = true;
    }
    return true;
}
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

I don't like the idea at all, at least not on this server. There's way too many players that waste the good flyers as it is. The noobs and other generally less than useful players would not just waste the flyers, they would give them away and hamstring their team for the rest of the round.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Agree with Enyo on this.... its interesting, but it opens the door for way too much sabotage, and team sabotage...and we have a few that like to do that knid of stuff for fun.
Xexx

Post by Xexx »

I think we should have a face off crash map or "2fast2furious" where vehicles don't respawn at all. Last one with functioning vehicle (probably) wins the map.

World of Tanks, Minotaur style.

Hmm, can we make destructible walls that are classed as vehicles or something? Burn barrels with a different skin that have more health? Guess that'd get us more into PvE...
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Xexx wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:09 am I think we should have a face off crash map or "2fast2furious" where vehicles don't respawn at all. Last one with functioning vehicle (probably) wins the map.

World of Tanks, Minotaur style.
I think this can be done by adding the vehicles directly to the map instead of using vehicle factories. Once they are gone they will never come back.
Xexx wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:09 am Hmm, can we make destructible walls that are classed as vehicles or something? Burn barrels with a different skin that have more health? Guess that'd get us more into PvE...
When I converted DM-GanjasRoom to ONS-GanjasRoom, I was surprised you could shoot the cigarette boxes and have them go flying around.

Then I tried online and nothing happened when you shoot them. I had to modify them with net code to get them to work online. So it's doable, main problem is you can't have too many or it will lag the game. Once I got the cigarette boxes working yes that was the first idea - make a whole map out of them. I ended up playing Fortnite instead ;)
Colbye

Post by Colbye »

Stealing enemy vehicles and hiding them is something I try to do almost every night.
HEAD CHEESE