Time for Dedicated Server?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Time for Dedicated Server?

Post by pooty »

UTComp was real drag on the CPU.

This is from tonight:
https://www.omnipotents.com/utstats/mat ... match=1087
Pretty much full server on AJY-Randomizer, MB, Dria-Randomizer with mechs.

And CPU use:
hit 44% MAX! This new server with the old software seems to perform much better, and this was with the 28 tick rate.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Is it much different than the previous nights?

I was still getting instances of lag, where I couldn't link the node e.g. on MassD. The link beam wouldn't come out. That map always bogged the server down though, so it could just be the map.

It definitely felt less laggy in vehicles, but I also couldn't hit the manta directly in front of me with the shock rifle. Seemed like all my shots were unregs tonight.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Only on the max spikes, before it was 60% plus...and before that on the old server a bit higher.. wish the nfo graphs gave us better granularity.
If you look at the month chart, 2 hr average, you can see where we moved servers.

For me the play was way better, no link issues, only lag was on massD -- that map pounds the server as you pointed out. Both Dria and AJY played will I didn't notice but a handful of unregs -- which I don't think we are every going to get rid of the unregs.

I did miss hitsounds more than I thought I would.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:52 am Only on the max spikes, before it was 60% plus...and before that on the old server a bit higher.. wish the nfo graphs gave us better granularity.
If you look at the month chart, 2 hr average, you can see where we moved servers.

For me the play was way better, no link issues, only lag was on massD -- that map pounds the server as you pointed out. Both Dria and AJY played will I didn't notice but a handful of unregs -- which I don't think we are every going to get rid of the unregs.

I did miss hitsounds more than I thought I would.
Lag was MUCH improved for me lat night. Was UTComp completely turned off? I noticed there were no hit sounds, but honestly didn't really miss them. They were never consistently working for me before anyway, tons of times when I was definitely making contact and no hit sounds, but enemy died just fine so it wasn't unregs.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Was UTComp completely turned off? I noticed there were no hit sounds, but honestly didn't really miss them.
Completely off, back to ONSPlusOmni.
DrScrotey

Post by DrScrotey »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:52 am I did miss hitsounds more than I thought I would.
I felt the same way when switching from Death Warrant: Spam Vikings to OMNI all those years ago. But at that time I didn't have fiber.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I think we will look at hitsounds standalone, as well as bright skins. The UTComp Netcode plus vehicles wasn't great.
trans_lux

Post by trans_lux »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:37 pm I think we will look at hitsounds standalone, as well as bright skins. The UTComp Netcode plus vehicles wasn't great.
hitsounds FTW...
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:37 pm I think we will look at hitsounds standalone, as well as bright skins. The UTComp Netcode plus vehicles wasn't great.
I liked the netcode. I just wish it didn't bog down the server so much. Also the weird issues with linkgun. Netcode was great though.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:09 pm
I liked the netcode. I just wish it didn't bog down the server so much. Also the weird issues with linkgun. Netcode was great though.
Well, let's see how CEONSS fares with a dedicated running UTcomp. If they report no issues, then let's give our own dedicated a try for a month, see how it does.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain