Time for Dedicated Server?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Time for Dedicated Server?

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty

Post by pooty »

Well, let's see how CEONSS fares with a dedicated running UTcomp. If they report no issues, then let's give our own dedicated a try for a month, see how it does.
Its not just, IMO, a hardware problem. Looks like in the other thread, there's some software issues to work through--and remember I posted the UTComp was never tested on Vehicles. I think it will be a good test to see if it makes a difference, but right now I think we have to get a higher level of confidence in the software.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I wouldn't say never tested. We tested it :D It crashed! :lol:

The change I made to fix the crashing with bots actually removes vehicle support for the 'newnet' code, so it should work fine with vehicles now. Before if you shot at a vehicle with one of the newnet weapons, there was ping compensation.

After the change there was no ping compensation when shooting at a vehicle. You'd still have to lead your target by your ping/lag like regular old unreal tournament code. I think that's fine since vehicles are pretty slow compared to dodging players. If you can't hit the dragon with shock rifle and 50ms ping then, well, it's on you heh.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yeah was wondering how it worked with vehicles. I felt it was good with hand held weapons, but not so good with vehicles. I think that works fine.. might be a bit different for tank turrets with shock/laser/lightining, but still if we can get that working....

I think we should be able to see similar performance that we have now without UTComp, feels like there's very little lag, just a bit more unregs from what I've noticed, and quite a bit of CPU reduction.. if you look at the NFO charts, compare weekly from 32 to week 35. Old Server UT Comp, lots of peaks around 60% even spike close to 90%, in the last week, peaks 50% or less, its much less spikey. I wish we had better granularity..

In any case, I don't see any reason why UTComp performance can't be similar or better...
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:37 pm I think we will look at hitsounds standalone, as well as bright skins. The UTComp Netcode plus vehicles wasn't great.
Hitsounds & brightskins are a must.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Not wanting to be a Debbie-Downer here, but what's the point of trying out a dedicated server? We already know we can't afford it long-term. We only had 12 people sponsoring the funds last time and a dedicated server would be 3 times our current operating costs.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

McLovin wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:34 pm Not wanting to be a Debbie-Downer here, but what's the point of trying out a dedicated server? We already know we can't afford it long-term. We only had 12 people sponsoring the funds last time and a dedicated server would be 3 times our current operating costs.
I don't mind paying for it. I've already donated quite a bit, almost enough for 1 year of dedicated.

I totally understand not wanting to rely on one person for it, but honestly it's all weed money and I don't smoke anymore. UT is my crack now :lol:
EmanReleipS

Post by EmanReleipS »

From what I understand you peeps would like to stay with the current provider because their service is good and you already received donations that would basically evaporate if you switch providers, correct?

Would it be possible to only use your current provider for the redirect and forum (thus making use of the donations), but renting a dedicated server from a different provider? Would they allow you to split the gaming server off from the forum and the redirect?

Might be worth looking into some other options for a dedicated server that are cheaper, such as this one here. Seems like the servers are located in St. Louis: https://www.server4you.com/dedicated-server
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

There was quite a bit of lag last night on DJ, Nevermore, and MassD. Missing tank turrets, shots not coming out, unregs. The server doesn't seem to keep up when the player count is > 26.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Strange I didn't notice it. A few unregs on MassD but that map is brutal anyway, but never got any missing turrets. Besides you there were a few others complaining about lag, but no one else seemed to notice.

That being said, I think we need to have a real test on a dedicated server, but how do we get 20+ players? I'd hate to for us to go through all the work and $$$ to find out it does same thing on dedicated hardware...