Time for Dedicated Server?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Time for Dedicated Server?

Post by captainsnarf »

We have the imposter server. We could make a forum post to invite others, but not enough of our regulars visit the forums unfortunately. Maybe add it to the server's MOTD? I'm not sure how many will find it enjoyable to play on a EU server with 150ms ping though. Maybe we just wait and see how it goes for CEONSS first. Ema should be back this weekend.

One thing I want to try still is setting the real time priority for the server on the dedicated machine. I'll try that when I get home today.

*edit* actually I realize I can't do that. Requires root privileges. I'll ask Ema.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

captainsnarf wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:33 am ...
Maybe add it to the server's MOTD?
It's been asked before, but is there any way to increase the time the MOTD stays on the screen at game start. It's way too short I think.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

There was a mutator that could redirect players to another server, but I forgot what it's called.
EmanReleipS

Post by EmanReleipS »

McLovin wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:21 am
captainsnarf wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:33 am ...
Maybe add it to the server's MOTD?
It's been asked before, but is there any way to increase the time the MOTD stays on the screen at game start. It's way too short I think.
Not that I know of. Are you guys using the RSS feed at all? It can be a bit annoying, but that is where we stick all kinds of announcements, server rules, etc.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I don't think you can increase MOTD time either.

We aren't using the RSS feed.

Maybe we should pick a server test time and just post up and see if we can get enough commits for human players. Maybe Saturday late afternoon/early evening (US Eastern time), or if there's another time that works better?
EmanReleipS

Post by EmanReleipS »

I think I will need some more time to get a couple of peeps together, and I might not be home this weekend. How about October 1st or 2nd?

Edit to add: Most of the Euro players will be 5-7 hrs ahead, so we should start in the afternoon if possible (4pm Eastern time).
Miauz55555

Post by Miauz55555 »

Anonymous. wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:59 pm There was a mutator that could redirect players to another server, but I forgot what it's called.
I asked pigled from miasma, he send me that:
This is a simple thing that checks the server every few seconds and pushes people to another place. It probably would have been better to do it at login - but this was a quick and dirty I knocked up that works well enough. It didn't need to be graceful!

Code: Select all

class push extends Mutator config;

//var config string myID;
var config int CheckTime;
var config string where;

event PostBeginPlay()
{
    SetTimer(CheckTime, true);
    Super.PostBeginPlay();
}

function bool MutatorIsAllowed()
{
    return true;
}

function GetServerDetails(out GameInfo.ServerResponseLine ServerState)
{
    return;
}

event Timer() {
    local Controller C;
    local PlayerController PC;

for( C = Level.ControllerList; C != None; C = C.NextController ){
        PC = PlayerController(C);
        if (PC == none) continue;

PC.ClientTravel(where, TRAVEL_Absolute, false);

}

}

defaultproperties
{
    FriendlyName="Sent To"
    Description="Send to other server."
    CheckTime=5
    where="80.4.151.145:7777"
}
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

Miauz55555 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:24 amI asked pigled from miasma, he send me that:
Very nice, thanks to both of you.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

This sounds hella-fun. I'll try to be there. Will voice be active? Colbye, you gotta record this, it will be a hoot!
Colbye wrote: ...
Miauz55555

Post by Miauz55555 »

pooty wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:55 am I don't think you can increase MOTD time either.

We aren't using the RSS feed.

Maybe we should pick a server test time and just post up and see if we can get enough commits for human players. Maybe Saturday late afternoon/early evening (US Eastern time), or if there's another time that works better?
You can use AntiTCC for a message which all will read, or at least see .. the big text box which everyone has to agree on.
http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/A ... #hfeatures

Code: Select all

AgreeEnableDelay
    The minimum delay before a player is allowed to agree to a custom agreement text.
AgreementTimeoutDelay
    The maximum time a player is allowed to leave the custom agreement dialog open before he is kicked from the server to free up the player slot.
AgreementText
    A custom agreement text to display to the player before he can enter the server. This can be used to display server rules and give players a chance to back out if they don't agree.