Server Lag better or worse than before

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums

How has the server lag been in the last two weeks vs. say a few months ago

Poll ended at Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:34 am

Lag is much worse in the last two weeks
8%
Lag is a bit worse
50%
Lag is about the same / Can't tell difference
33%
Lag is slightly less/better
No votes
Lag is way better than two months ago
8%

Total votes: 12

pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Server Lag better or worse than before

Post by pooty »

So we've added UTComp, and many good reasons to do so for both features and performance (enchanced netcode for ping compensation). As with all software sometimes there's things that don't work quite right YET.

Let me be clear, we want UTComp, there's a ton of good stuff that's there, its really about narrowing down what to fix and making sure things run smoothly.

Since enabling UTComp, a couple of weeks ago would you say
captainsnarf

Re: Server Lag better or worse than before

Post by captainsnarf »

My vote is a bit worse. Not too much but definitely noticeable. The ping compensation makes up for it, but it's definitely not free in terms of cpu usage. It's mostly noticeable when the server is full. Things like linking a node not working very well and tank turrets not showing up for a few seconds, or getting in/out of vehicles is a bit lagged. Shooting a node point blank with flak primary barely does damage. You have to step back a little and then it does full damage. This is also caused by lag. Some of our vehicle mods aren't helping the issue. I know the pallas and the bombers are not easy on the server. I'm not sure if the lower tick rate is helping or hurting. It's hard to tell because the server can be full, but nobody is shooting at the time so it seems fine, then suddenly there is a bunch of action and things start lagging.

The server crashed after all-fall-down. I had so much lag that game I kind of knew it was going to crash soon.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

I'd say it's still worse. Last night I wasn't getting as many unregs or obvious lag, but I wasn't able to link any occupied and moving vehicles, and several times there seemed to be a delay in shooting Aurora shock balls.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Xexx

Post by Xexx »

Enyo wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:49 am I'd say it's still worse. Last night I wasn't getting as many unregs or obvious lag, but I wasn't able to link any occupied and moving vehicles, and several times there seemed to be a delay in shooting Aurora shock balls.
I assumed link multiplier functionality between vehicles was broken. I couldn't link any link based vehicles for the multiplier effect.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Xexx wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:16 pm
Enyo wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:49 am I'd say it's still worse. Last night I wasn't getting as many unregs or obvious lag, but I wasn't able to link any occupied and moving vehicles, and several times there seemed to be a delay in shooting Aurora shock balls.
I assumed link multiplier functionality between vehicles was broken. I couldn't link any link based vehicles for the multiplier effect.
It only works for occupied vehicles. Oh, you mean like link tank and link badger. Yeah those don't get the multiplier since the multiplier code is a part of the link gun.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:20 pm
Xexx wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:16 pm
It only works for occupied vehicles. Oh, you mean like link tank and link badger. Yeah those don't get the multiplier since the multiplier code is a part of the link gun.
I think he means what I was experiencing... I couldn't link them at all, meaning my link gun would not attach to the vehicles. It may have just been the link vehicles now that I think about it. It happened on other maps too, link gun simply won't connect to an occupied vehicle (maybe just link vehicles).

And doesn't linking a link vehicle link a node faster than the link vehicle linking a foot soldier? I think that's what he means by multiplier.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Colbye

Post by Colbye »

Hard to see lag when my futures so bright :)
HEAD CHEESE