For 4doors with love

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: For 4doors with love

Post by pooty »

Is 4doors not on the forum? I was just kidding with him and continuing the ruse that I sincerely believed he was rittenhouse.
He is...but not sure he's seen it.
I want to know why he's hanging with Stifler's mom?
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

pooty wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:35 am
Here's my real problem with all the SJW/Liberal stuff: Why does it always come down to blaming another group? Why does it come back to America is bad/evil/racist?
It doesn't always come down to blaming another group, nor does it always come back to America being bad. Where are you getting this from? It sounds to me like you're not actually listening to true advocates of these things, but rather listening to the reactionaries.

Why is helping a damaged group of people automatically interpreted as bringing down another group who didn't experience those same problems? Nothing wrong with throwing a lifejacket, you get to stay in the boat.

Let me guess, you can't stand feminism either?
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

pooty wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:35 am But we still haven't answered the original question: WTF was the original picture supposed to mean?
She's obviously smuggling basketballs.
pooty

Post by pooty »

It doesn't always come down to blaming another group, nor does it always come back to America being bad. Where are you getting this from? It sounds to me like you're not actually listening to true advocates of these things, but rather listening to the reactionaries.
From several other self proclaimed liberals/SJW I know. For example, White Priviledge is really blaming White people for the problem -- the problem is the historical mistakes weren't created for the most part by the current white generation, yet they are supposed to feel guilt about it.
I may be a bit biased from a "discussion" with one of them last week who proclaimed that Patriotism was the true cause of all these social problems, and patriots today had no right to be proud of their country since they didn't create it. Needless to say they got quite heated when trying to defend Priviledge, Reparations after making that postulation.
Why is helping a damaged group of people automatically interpreted as bringing down another group who didn't experience those same problems? Nothing wrong with throwing a lifejacket, you get to stay in the boat.

Always happy to help those less fortunate.

Never said helping was wrong. Helping one another is one the most basic human things you can do. If I use your analogy, its like the person in the water demanding the person in the boat jump in to save them whether they can swim or not and give them the life jacket. Furthermore then they expect the person in the boat to feel guilty about being in the boat. None of that guilt/blame driven emotion is needed. Help someone when needed if you are able. This whole sense of entitlement, punishment and guilt kind of wrecks any noble spirit. And no judgement is needed either, be happy you're in the boat but don't blame the person in the water you don't know how they got there.

Not sure what feminism has to do with it (Is that one of those whataboutisms I keep reading about?). Everyone should have equal rights/opportunity, but sadly life isn't always fair, and often it doesn't have anything to do with race, gender and more to do with economic status and sometimes just bad luck.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

pooty wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:05 am
From several other self proclaimed liberals/SJW I know. For example, White Priviledge is really blaming White people for the problem -- the problem is the historical mistakes weren't created for the most part by the current white generation, yet they are supposed to feel guilt about it.
I may be a bit biased from a "discussion" with one of them last week who proclaimed that Patriotism was the true cause of all these social problems, and patriots today had no right to be proud of their country since they didn't create it. Needless to say they got quite heated when trying to defend Priviledge, Reparations after making that postulation.

Always happy to help those less fortunate.

Never said helping was wrong. Helping one another is one the most basic human things you can do. If I use your analogy, its like the person in the water demanding the person in the boat jump in to save them whether they can swim or not and give them the life jacket. Furthermore then they expect the person in the boat to feel guilty about being in the boat. None of that guilt/blame driven emotion is needed. Help someone when needed if you are able. This whole sense of entitlement, punishment and guilt kind of wrecks any noble spirit. And no judgement is needed either, be happy you're in the boat but don't blame the person in the water you don't know how they got there.

Not sure what feminism has to do with it (Is that one of those whataboutisms I keep reading about?). Everyone should have equal rights/opportunity, but sadly life isn't always fair, and often it doesn't have anything to do with race, gender and more to do with economic status and sometimes just bad luck.
Sounds like you're fighting your friends and not me then. I'd disagree with them too. Guilt gets nothing done, it's not an action. And no, you're not supposed to feel guilty, but if you do then fine. Your friends are wrong about that. It pretty simple: Recognize that people have unique experiences in this country based on race (among other things but we're on race right now). Slavery has an absolutely massive ripple effect and while yes while we are technically all living under the same rules, how their ancestors were treated is a factor. It'd be like if we start up a game of Monopoly, and then let you join after an hour. And then any time you hint that maybe you're at a disadvantage I'll respond with "hey, we all matter. we're all playing by the same rules here so you have nothing to complain about".

Your interpretation of the boat analogy... I have no idea what to do with that. It seems like your concept of anything related to these issues has been incredibly skewed by something.

No the feminism thing isn't a whataboutism. I'm genuinely curious. Unless you are a feminist then I can see how you could be defensive and interpret it as a whataboutism.

And yes I'm glad we agree we should have equal rights and opportunities. I'm just not willing to look at entire groups of people and just shrug. It doesn't have to be policies either, it can be how you act. Racial slurs aside, there are plenty of words that used to be normal insults in the 90's and earlier that we don't say anymore.

We can call media outlets SJW's for having more women or minorities in lead roles, but holy shit I can see a difference in my students' reactions to those... How many little girls were absolutely turbocharged on the new Star Wars movies. That stuff makes a difference (see the Scully Effect). And it feels forced because you're not used to seeing it.
pooty

Post by pooty »

It seems like your concept of anything related to these issues has been incredibly skewed by something.
Skewed by the blame game. Many "woke" outlets love to blame the group in charge in the past (eg. White men), which is nothing more than just past blaming and stereotyping. I get that past actions have forward reaching effects, and the solution is to make sure things are fair now without swinging the pendulum too far the other way -- which seem to often happen. Especially when you try to live in a way that treats everyone fairly, will speak up if it becomes necessary, and then somehow gets lumped in with the group long dead that made the immoral policies of the past...

Its like this as my friend, a history teacher said when questioned about Reparations for Slavery "My great great grandfather died fighting for the North to end slavery, what's that worth?" - So its not an easy answer and you can't remake the past. You can only make it fair going forward.

No issues with Feminism or equality.
How many little girls were absolutely turbocharged on the new Star Wars movies
Oh boy. No problem with the female lead and all that, and nothing wrong with good strong female leads (eg. Ripley)

But, social issues aside, as a life long SW fan those new Movies were absolute garbage...the plot was terrible (TFA was a bad ripoff of a new hope) the characters were terrible, and the last standing Jedi ends up being a Palpatine! Yikes. I could write a whole thread on that.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Rise of Skywalker completely ruined the entire Star Wars franchise for me. I won't watch any of them now. It was so bad it's irredeemable.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Yeah here's how I was:

Loved the OT, who doesn't. I even liked Jedi. The final 30 or so minutes is great.
The remastered/added CGI OT was okay, but some of the scenes were cringe and a lot of the additions were pointless.

I thought the prequels were garbage. Redlettermedia's reviews of them are awesome though. I dont think I ever finished the second one.

I really enjoyed The Force Awakens. I know it was the exact same script but I was so glad to see it after having the franchise be left with the prequels.

I thought Rogue One was just okay but I still enjoyed it. I thought of it as an apology for the prequels.

I honestly thought The Last Jedi was a joke. Like during that opening scene when he was doing the prank call I thought it was like a fake commercial and then they'd show a Pepsi logo or something then start the actual movie. Also during the intro the first thing you see is a silhouette of the big star destroyer and it looks like a middle finger to the audience which I think is fitting.

Solo's origin movie. No idea why they made this. I remember leaving the theatre and telling my wife how I felt absolutely nothing from this movie and we just went for dinner. I just felt like bland fluff of nothing.

Reluctantly saw the Rise Of Skywalker just to get it over with. They did what damage control they could but it was beyond repair. So many great setups from TLJ that went nowhere.

Never seen any cartoons. Star Wars is weird now. Same with Jurassic Park.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I thought the prequels were garbage. Redlettermedia's reviews of them are awesome though. I dont think I ever finished the second one.

I really enjoyed The Force Awakens. I know it was the exact same script but I was so glad to see it after having the franchise be left with the prequels.
Prequels were average, but had their moments.

TFA, TLJ and Rise of Palpatine were complete crap. I remember in TFA after we found our hero on a desert planet with secret plans and round droid, about to escape on the Millenium Falcon, I said "All we need now is a Cantina scene", and just when you thought it was worse we had a Death Star/Star Killer with an weak point the fighters have hit. Oh and all those cool Star Wars planets like Coruscant, yeah lets just blow them up fuck it. I wanted to walk out -- mind you I've seen every Star Wars movies many, many times (grew up on them). I've seen TFA exactly twice and won't ever watch it again, same with TLJ and rise of Palapatine (all the Skywalkers are dead).

But even more egregious was the complete failure of the Force. Rey just magically knows how to use it, damn Luke and Obiwan wasting their lives training.. just needed MarySueRey to come along (and I am not even counting the weird shit in ROP). Character progression was terrible. Only character that I think had some potential was Finn.
But worse yet they managed to destroy the (my childhood) heroes of Star Wars: Luke ends up being a bumbling Master who cowardly hides out while the galaxy burns, the single love story Han/Leia end up as divorced parents with an asshole kid wrecking the universe, The rebellion was pointless, Vader's death and return to the Light was pointless etc. Just plain bad story telling (much like GOT ending). No excuse for it either, plenty of good books/content after ROJ they could draw from and they just went with a badly written fan film. Heck I think even Spaceballs was better written not as a parody.

And its so bad that they can't make anything after that timeline becuase its so fucked. That's why you have Mandalorian, Boba Fett, Andor and basically content in between.

And lets face it this is just bad ass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjTvFPWuhk0 This is the Luke we wanted not that person in TFA.

And I did enjoy Rogue One quite a bit, it wasn't perfect but lots of good stuff, and who didn't like the Vader stuff at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxL8bVJhXCM
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:34 pm And its so bad that they can't make anything after that timeline becuase its so fucked. That's why you have Mandalorian, Boba Fett, Andor and basically content in between.

And lets face it this is just bad ass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjTvFPWuhk0 This is the Luke we wanted not that person in TFA.
Yeah, the Mandalorian and Boba Fett shows are hands down the best Star Wars anything that's ever been done. I'll even blaspheme and say better than the original movies (the only good ones). That's what you get with Jon Favreau instead of J.J. Abrams or Rian whoever, just plain better story telling.

The Obi Wan show is pretty good too, a bit slow to start, but the finale between him and Darth Vader is pretty badass: https://youtu.be/Ku8H_BGLjRc?t=82

I actually really liked the Clone Wars cartoon show too, despite the cheese factor in it. Haven't watched it in years, but it's all on Disney+. Tons of episodes with lots of backstory and characters from the books you don't see anywhere else - until they put Cad Bane in Book of Boba Fett.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain