Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

Post by pooty »

So I think we can try a couple of things.

Enhanced Netcode Available but not on by default. This would require a coding change, but I don't think most of us with < 60 ping need it that much.
MinNetspeed 9300 (default), this does keep the 85 fps. You can up it manually if you want to, but most don't need to either.

This might allow us to run the enhanced netcode without bogging the server. We can probably review the code again and see if there's more optimizations.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

Whether UTComp is enabled or not, the lag is extreme no matter what. The CPU is fucking garbage and there's no getting around it. At least with UTComp I can still play through the lag.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Whether UTComp is enabled or not, the lag is extreme no matter what.
How do you figure, CPU barely goes over 40%, and most matches with the netcode off I can sustain 140+ fps. Couldn't do that if the server was lagging.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

The physics is handled by a single thread, the total % after that is irrelevant. Nothing else can happen when the main thread is saturating a core.
pooty

Post by pooty »

As I understood it the 40% was the single core.. If I look at the whole machine it rarely goes above 18%. Now I can't see all the details since I don't have full access, but the machine is lightly loaded based on that.

We could always rent a dedicated machine for a month and run it and see, I wish we had gotten 20+ to test on the imposter server.. although that was linux and less overhead than windows.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Anonymous. wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:14 pm Whether UTComp is enabled or not, the lag is extreme no matter what. The CPU is fucking garbage and there's no getting around it. At least with UTComp I can still play through the lag.
Sorry, but I’ve had zero lag with netcode disabled, and have heard no lag complaints from anyone else either. The only two people that seem to want netcode on and claim it helps them are snarf and you. Turning it on causes lag for everyone else constantly. Not worth it unless it can be fixed.

Maybe pony up for a better internet connection. Or start your own server if ours sucks so much.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

pooty wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:33 pm As I understood it the 40% was the single core.. If I look at the whole machine it rarely goes above 18%. Now I can't see all the details since I don't have full access, but the machine is lightly loaded based on that.

We could always rent a dedicated machine for a month and run it and see, I wish we had gotten 20+ to test on the imposter server.. although that was linux and less overhead than windows.
That metric doesn't make sense because then we wouldn't be experiencing lag issues, even with UTComp enabled. Would the IP be the same on a test dedicated machine?
Enyo wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:41 pm Maybe pony up for a better internet connection.
My ISP doesn't yet offer an internet package that moves me to NFO every time I play UT2004 on Omni (I would still get 30 ping in game, because there's a 30ms discrepancy between the host IP and in game).
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Enyo wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:41 pm
Anonymous. wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:14 pm Whether UTComp is enabled or not, the lag is extreme no matter what. The CPU is fucking garbage and there's no getting around it. At least with UTComp I can still play through the lag.
Sorry, but I’ve had zero lag with netcode disabled, and have heard no lag complaints from anyone else either. The only two people that seem to want netcode on and claim it helps them are snarf and you. Turning it on causes lag for everyone else constantly. Not worth it unless it can be fixed.
Anonymous and I aren't the only players that want the new net code, but I'm not going to speak for others.

A couple versions ago (1.29?) I changed how collision was calculated for vehicles with netcode on, which reduced server load and most people said the lag issues were gone. But now they're back? I don't get it. I certainly don't see it.
Maybe pony up for a better internet connection. Or start your own server if ours sucks so much.
I have gigabit fiber. I offered to pay for a dedicated server. I've donated $1k to omni. I made custom mods and maps just for the omni server. Not sure what else I can do.
pooty

Post by pooty »

That metric doesn't make sense because then we wouldn't be experiencing lag issues, even with UTComp enabled. Would the IP be the same on a test dedicated machine?
Its about 10-12% higher with UTComp on. Usually we will start to see lag appear about the 50% area... which to me makes no sense either... if it was 85% spiking to 100% yes, but at 50% shouldn't be an issue.
But now they're back? I don't get it. I certainly don't see it.
Lag happens with 22+ players only, below that not an issue. But take 28 players on Minus-KS and my framerates go from 144ish to 100 or even less, saw it go as low as 80.

I think we want the netcode for those with higher pings. I think we can put the new changes on...and I think keeping the minnetspeed < 10000 will help.

If it makes sense we can get a one month server for a few hundred dollars to test right via NFO. The only issue is the ongoing costs.. today its about $436 a year, with dedicated server its about $1300, so we'd need more donations, more often.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:31 am If it makes sense we can get a one month server for a few hundred dollars to test right via NFO. The only issue is the ongoing costs.. today its about $436 a year, with dedicated server its about $1300, so we'd need more donations, more often.
I’m all for having netcode on to help the higher ping players, but not if it causes lag for the 95% that have no use for it. On CEONSS, even though it didn’t seem to make a difference in my 140 ping latency with netcode on, because I still had to lead all shots, it certainly wasn’t causing any lag over 3 matches with a near full server. Ema mentioned in UTcomp thread that they’re using a lower minnetspeed <10000 as well as some other lowered settings while they’re still feeling out the server. But, the CEONSS server is dedicated, correct?

I’m also ok with upgrading to a dedicated server and willing to chip in yearly for it, I’m sure many others would be too, as long as we can show it definitively improves play and eliminates server side lag. It’s not as if most of us have ever spent much, if anything, playing this game for a very long time. I think the next step is doing a one month dedicated test to at least see if it helps. Or do we need to have a new donation drive first?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain