Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

Post by pooty »

So, there's various threads on lag. We've added UTComp and pretty much everyone likes the ping comp, hitsounds, skins etc. It does put a bit more strain on the server, we saw some lag on 10/20, 10/21

Now I've reduced the tick rate yesterday before the evening session and it seemed to help considerably:
The above included Minus-Kitchensink, DJY-Rando, valarna-rando and MassD so pretty much the worst loaders on the server. And note the player count 32 players (on DJY) yesterday and CPU was less than previous day with fewer players.

I monitored this during the game, and also the overall machine vs. our game server instance... The overall machine was pretty good max in the 40-50%, meaning there wasn't much else running on it.

I don't think the reduction in tick rate changed any gameplay except for reducing the lag, and I think the tick rate was increased in the past to try to make play smoother, but the ping comp does that for us now.

Hopefully it stays this way and we've found the sweet spot!
Xexx

Re: Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

Post by Xexx »

Yesterday was better.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I know some complained about lag on Captain Gordon's I personally didn't see much.
CPU was < 41% (41 was max, so wasn't CPU issue)
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

Looking at the video of the match it cut in and out. There would be a minute or two of just constant lag then it'd be OK for the next two. Very inconsistent. I'd say it cost us one of the rounds. California joining didn't help either lul
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

No lag for me.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Super Sanka wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:03 pm Looking at the video of the match it cut in and out. There would be a minute or two of just constant lag then it'd be OK for the next two. Very inconsistent. I'd say it cost us one of the rounds. California joining didn't help either lul
Same experience for me on Captain Gordon's, except the lag for me was long lived, about 4 or 5 min, maybe longer. Started sometime during the 2nd round and lasted rest of the match.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
leon

Post by leon »

I had lag too.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So MassD with 30 players is just too much, drove CPU 60%. My fps dropped from 140ish to 70-80s. Yikes.

So we can do a few things:
1. Removed the Levis, Levi spam is really hard on the CPU.
2. Live with it, as we rarely get 26+ players..
3. Try it without UT Comp

I am more inclinded to #1, maybe shocker and Dark Levi, and then removed the barriers on entry to 1/2 to make it easier to get in there with smaller vehicles?
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

I vote to keep the levi's, but I know i'm in the minority on that (Probably because you're all tired of getting your asses whooped ;) ) I can go back to playing the link badger or other strategies.

170 fps? Dang. I only ever get 80 something.
pooty

Post by pooty »

We had it last night and it seemed ok, we didn't have 32, but 27. So could have been just one of those nights.
I do think reducing the levis on there would help... Maybe get rid of the tiamat and leave hospitaler and dark levi. With all the levis the play really becomes 1-2 one dimensional. I think adding the UFO would be fun to have portals.