Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

Post by captainsnarf »

Yes, it looks much better now

We had less players Sunday than we did Saturday but hopefully the new settings help.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So last night (around 10:40 eastern) we had a bit of lag with less than 20 players. NFO reported our game server around 20% ish. However, the overall machine was at 30%+ this is one of those times where I've seen the overall machine load more than us, which makes me suspect noisy neighbor. We have high priority on that machine, but I suspect other processes do too. Does make a bit of case for a dedicated machine.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:49 am ...
Does make a bit of case for a dedicated machine.
I say do it. At least for a month or 2, to make sure. How else we gonna know?

No worries y'all, the site is not going away anytime soon. It's never been as strong as it is now.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yep 20+ on last night Dria-Randomizer and others and no lag at all.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Tonight, full server Dria Randomizer was good, Minus - Kitchensink a bit laggy at 32 players.

CPU was good on dria, spiked up to 60% on Minus. So we just need a bit more headroom with a full server.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

It was very laggy tonight. I noticed my ping was jumping around also in DesertJunkyard. 48 to 68 back to 48. I was getting a lot of stuttering and was barely playable. I logged out, dropped to a command prompt and pinged the server directly and got a consistent 46ms, so ping fluctuation was not a network issue.

here is a little later...
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

There have been some complaints about lag possibly caused by the christmas trees. I think we had similar issues last year, but I'm old and my memory is not that good :lol:. I think it's more client load than server load and might depend on the player's computer.

The server crashed a few times before I was on. I joined when MB was on, and the server crashed again. I forced AJ randomizer so we could get out of repeating MB all night. During that match, I noticed my FPS slowly drop to about 30 fps, then it cleared up and fps was back above 100fps. Two cluster bomb arbalests spawned at the core that match. There was one instance of about a 10 sec lag spike. I thought the server crashed, but then it continued.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yeah I noticed it too. Not sure why the Xmas mods would cause any lag its mostly just replacing a mesh/image that's there...
I'll turn them off later today.

It still feels like we still have too much lag with UTComp / Enhanced NetCode vs running with that off and/or ONSPlus, mostly this shows up IMO at higher load 20+ players.

Personally I've been playing with ENC on/off and really can't tell any difference, but I wouldn't expect much given my ping is usually pretty good. <50ms typically.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

Can one player with high ping drag down a server ?
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

First night back in a couple weeks last night and there was definitely a lot of lag, really just on on Valarna though, plus the long lag spike snarf mentioned on AJunk. Strangely, the lag was especially bad around the two middle nodes on Valarna, 2 & 10 I think. It would start jumping and skipping all over the place any time I got near those two nodes, probably because of all the action happening at them.

I would be more suspicious of UTcomp than the Christmas stuff. But, I dunno, how's it been with UTcomp on before the Christmas decorations were added?

I'm starting to think NFO servers are just crappy in general. I believe Anonymous has said that many times, I'm inclined to believe him. I played on HoC yesterday too, also hosted by NFO, and there was a ton of lag over 3 matches. There's no vehicles to blame, no crazy mods or anything else to blame over there. But the lag was atrocious, constant and noticed by all. There were maybe all of 16-20 players on at one time.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain