Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

Post by pooty »

It doesn't look like (outside of coding) that you can set enhnetcode = false as the default.
The other thing was changing the
MinNetSpeed=10001
MaxNetSpeed=15000

Under 10000 caps the fps at 85. Not sure how much work that saves for the server.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

You can set enh netcode false on the server.

UT2004.ini

Code: Select all

[UTCompOmni.MutUTComp]
bEnableEnhancedNetCode=False
Oh, you want it on for the server but default off for each player? yeah that's a code change.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So the lag was pretty much non-existent for me... all maps I was able to get 140 fps, except Valarna which got into the 100-110 range. So something in UTComp is bogging the server when we get 20+ players..and its not CPU related.

So lets try tomorrow UTComp Netcode=False. That will tell us if its something in UTComp outside the netcode.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Never had one bit of lag tonight with UTcomp turned off. Interested to see if UTcomp on but with enh net code off works.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Previously UTComp ON with Enhanced Netcode ON, MinNetspeed 10001, Tick Rate 26 (had to lower from 28 was bogging server).

Last night 11/11/2022 was UTComp OFF, ONSPlusOmni On, Tick Rate 28

Tonight 11/12/2022 is UTComp (1.30) On, Enhanced Netcode OFF server wide, can't be turned on. Tick Rate 28, Min Netspeed 9300 (Yes I realize that doesn't uncap the 85 fps lock for most), but lets start here and gradually work up to see what bogs the server.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

What exactly is the advantage of having UTComp?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

McLovin wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:12 pm What exactly is the advantage of having UTComp?
UTCompOmni is a combination of

- ONSPlus enhancements
1. Share points for linking nodes
2. Point scoring changes for nodes and cores (configurable)
3. Points for linking vehicles
4. Points for damaging vehicles
5. Show vehicle dots on minimap
6. Configurable vehicle exits (requires a keybind)
7. Other stuff I can't remember :lol:

- UTComp enhancements
1. Ping compensation (aka enhanced netcode)
2. Bright skins
3. Hit sounds
4. Color coded dots on minimap
5. General support for vehicles and ONS (default UTComp 1.8 doesn't really work with ONS)
6. Other stuff I can't remember :lol:
EmanReleipS

Post by EmanReleipS »

pooty wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:54 pm Previously UTComp ON with Enhanced Netcode ON, MinNetspeed 10001, Tick Rate 26 (had to lower from 28 was bogging server).

Last night 11/11/2022 was UTComp OFF, ONSPlusOmni On, Tick Rate 28

Tonight 11/12/2022 is UTComp (1.30) On, Enhanced Netcode OFF server wide, can't be turned on. Tick Rate 28, Min Netspeed 9300 (Yes I realize that doesn't uncap the 85 fps lock for most), but lets start here and gradually work up to see what bogs the server.
Might be a wild shot, but would you guys want to borrow one of your maps that is a different edit from a map you are also hosting in order to check if there is maybe something about your vehicles or your edits (use of anti portals maybe?) that could also make a performance difference with UTComp?
If they lag equally in UTComp, it would be an indicator that something with the mod can still be optimized. But if one edit is laggier than the other, maybe a certain vehicle is not working well with UTComp. Or there is stuff that could be tweaked about the map. I don't mind if you want to borrow our Masterbath edit or some other map from us for a comparison for a short time.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Thanks, we will take a look. Our MB is pretty vehicle light and seems ok. Its the bigger edits with lots of vehicles (Minus Randomizer, Dria Randomizer) and a couple with big wide open spaces (Valarana, Mass Destruction- both which IMO needs some antiportals).

Some of the vehicles like the MAS/Levis the singularity cannon is especially hard on the engine, as we discovered during testing on the imposter server (thank you!), that firing spikes cpu 3-8%! Yikes. I think one solution is no more than 2 per map.

The other thing is some of the vehicles in our collection may be less than optimized. I found this out working on one yesterday... they can even slow the game unoccupied if the coding is poorly done.

For the developers: Any spawned vehicle calls tick(), with or without driver [For you non-programmers think of this as the "update" that happens every 28 times a second as to what happens to the vehicle] for example, one of Wormbo's hover tanks has a for loop for "HoverDust" which when its not moving HoverDust = None, but you can't check it because its an Array (UT SCript doesn't like HoverDust != None). So then it spams the log repeatedly with Accessed None messages. Not to mention a for loop which can be slower.

So when you get to maps that have LOTS of vehicles, there's lots of working going on even if they empty (depending on how they are coded). We might have to review them as well. Many have gone through a rev or two between Snarf and I, but many have not -- and the quality varies.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

For the 11/12 test, UTcomp on with enhanced net code off server-wide, I experienced zero lag over several matches including vehicle heavy maps. Hit sounds worked reliably as well.

Also, the lag that happens with enh net code on, I’ve experienced on maps with only stock vehicles, i.e. Masterbath Bitchslap and Captain Gordon’s. In fact, the lag was more frequent for me on those DM heavy maps, I guess because it only affects you on foot it’s more noticeable on those. The lag does not seem map specific to me.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain