Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:31 am ...
The only issue is the ongoing costs.. today its about $436 a year, with dedicated server its about $1300, so we'd need more donations, more often.
Debbie Downer: Ain't happening from the general population. The funds won't come from the vast majority of players here. Past history of those that are willing to pony up funds barely supports what we currently pay for. And the server is only >20 players for an hour, maybe 2 hours max a night.

We have a few that will cover the entire cost of the server out of their own pocket, and their generosity will be greatly appreciated. But don't get caught up shaming the rest of them that don't spend a nickel to play here.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Totally agree McLovin. Donations should be 100% voluntary and no shaming. We get what we get and do with it what we can. I'd add there should be no strings attached. Donating shouldn't earn any special privilege. I'm willing to donate more so we can get a dedicated server, but that doesn't mean we will, or if we do and it doesn't fix anything and go back to a shared server that I can complain about it. It's charity to go to whatever is best for the community.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

McLovin wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:56 am We have a few that will cover the entire cost of the server out of their own pocket, and their generosity will be greatly appreciated. But don't get caught up shaming the rest of them that don't spend a nickel to play here.
It’s always been this way, why would it be any different with a dedicated that costs more? Nobody has ever been shamed for small or no donations. Those that donate should at least be publicly thanked in the forum, unless they don’t wanna be named. I don’t believe any special privilege has ever been given for large donors either, just ask Resurrection - thanks for your generosity BTW!

And no shaming here, but EVERYONE, especially those that do not donate or contribute to the community in any meaningful way, should refrain from outright bitching about how things are done. Beggars can’t be choosers. Constructive criticism is fine, but trashing admins and how they run the server, especially the 2 guys that put in all the coding work, should not be tolerated.

Regardless of what you do or do not donate, at least appreciate the huge amount of work that’s been put in to keep the server not just running, but up to date with cool new toys, maps and mods. How many UT servers out there have near daily ongoing development?

And keep in mind if it weren’t for pooty, OMNI would’ve been dead for good a few years ago.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5SxNJSGDTw

No shame here at all. If you want and are able contribute. Simple as that. My only point is we run pretty cost effective right now and dedicated server is more costly.

Happy to put in the time and money so we can all have some fun!
EmanReleipS

Post by EmanReleipS »

pooty wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:31 am Lag happens with 22+ players only, below that not an issue. But take 28 players on Minus-KS and my framerates go from 144ish to 100 or even less, saw it go as low as 80.

I think we want the netcode for those with higher pings. I think we can put the new changes on...and I think keeping the minnetspeed < 10000 will help.

If it makes sense we can get a one month server for a few hundred dollars to test right via NFO. The only issue is the ongoing costs.. today its about $436 a year, with dedicated server its about $1300, so we'd need more donations, more often.
We've only been running UTComp on our dedicated server for a short while and during the week our player numbers are lower. Last weekend we only had 23 players at max. CPU load was good, usually between 20-30% with ~20 players, but I saw a single spike to 40% on VK's Playground. Only one player mentioned seeing anything strange ("wobbly tank").
I would suggest to keep observing how UTComp will run on CEONSS for at least another weekend. ;)

I don't want to come across as advertising here, but it might be helpful to get a few players from OMNI to visit this weekend so we can reach the "critical mass" while having a bunch of players online who have the netcode enabled. So far things look positive, but I would like some certainty if our equipment can handle it, too.

If you decide to go the dedicated server route and there is a way to donate via Paypal, I can pitch in with a monthly tenner or so.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

EmanReleipS wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:39 pm ...
I can pitch in with a monthly tenner or so.
I melt every time I hear Ema's accent, even when it's in text. LOL
Provert

Post by Provert »

EmanReleipS wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:39 pm If you decide to go the dedicated server route and there is a way to donate via Paypal
Paypal is how we've done it before. I've never been acknowldged, but I don't donate to be acknowledged, either.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Provert wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:30 pm ...
Paypal is how we've done it before. I've never been acknowldged, but I don't donate to be acknowledged, either.
It is a payment (PayPal?) directly to the data center that hosts our server. Pooty has a link for that somewhere.

Thank you for your support Provert. The acknowledgment is on your forum profile.

pooty

Post by pooty »

Anyone who donates, unless the specify otherwise gets Server Sponsor Yes. Amounts are not disclosed. Unless you want that too, but you have to be beat the current largest donation.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:50 pm ...
Amounts are not disclosed. Unless you want that too
I like that donation amounts are not disclosed. To me, that's more discreet and proper. But others may feel differently.