Thoughts on Faster Core Drain?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Thoughts on Faster Core Drain?

Post by pooty »

Opinions on the current faster core drain?
I've only played a few matches, but I liked it. When you're beat down it ends quicker and it gives more time to get 2pts, unless we lengthen the round time which I really don't want to do...
captainsnarf

Re: Thoughts on Faster Core Drain?

Post by captainsnarf »

It's good for fixing those matches where there is no chance of a comeback.

It's no good when there is a chance.

It might be more a map problem than anything else. It's good on MTMU. It's no good on master bath.
infinitecat

Post by infinitecat »

The core-drain part of Onslaught is really the "Hey, knuckleheads! Better start paying attention to your nodes" part. But shouldn't the entire game be the "knucklehead" portion?

So what if each round was only three minutes long, to get it started, at which point the cores began draining according to node disparity. The timer for this part would begin at 500. This would place a much stronger emphasis on node-building/destruction strategies (rather than death-matching) and conceivably make the games end quicker.

Although, on second thought, why shouldn't the entire game be the core-drain part? Meaning "build nodes now or no more boom-booms for you, pardner."

Just a thought.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Only problem is that once the core starts draining, there's no chance at 2 points.

WRT to Masterbath... if it's tied, then perhaps one node up/down tips the balance... not much chance for last minute comeback, however, its way more critical in the last 45 seconds to get the nodes. Before OT starts.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:01 am Opinions on the current faster core drain?
I've only played a few matches, but I liked it. When you're beat down it ends quicker and it gives more time to get 2pts, unless we lengthen the round time which I really don't want to do...
We should start doing forum polls on these types of things before just changing it. It feels too scattered and you never know what you're waling into when you join the server.

I hate the fast core drain, hated it when it used to be that way before we slowed it down. One upon a time on the old server, the core drain was even slower than we recently had it. No time for a comeback, so what the point even in having OT?

Personally, I'd like to switch to best 2 out of 3 vs the current 3 out of 5. Then set the OT back to slower core drain. Sure, a map could potentially be over in one round, minus the potential mulligan, but so what? Then we get to play more maps... I'd rather play more maps in one night than play 1 or 2 maps that are 1 hour slogs. Especially when people keep voting the same damned MTMU/Nevermore maps.

Changing to that format I think would also help with team balance, less people ditching the map because of "I'm not playing another round of this crap." How many times have you heard that... like every Dria match ever played. So, let's do a poll and see what the community thinks before making changes just because one player doesn't like something and complains about it on the forum.

And maybe the rest of the admins should be given a chance for some input before universal changes like this are made?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:02 am It's good for fixing those matches where there is no chance of a comeback.

It might be more a map problem than anything else. It's good on MTMU. It's no good on master bath.
Why does the map matter? There is ALWAYS a chance for a comeback on any map, I've seen a comeback happen on virtually every map at some point, given the core drain is slow enough for a comeback to happen.

In fact, it's the opposite of what you assumed above. I've seen plenty of OT comebacks on MTMU where one team was even down to no nodes as OT started. But, with fast core drain, it's nearly impossible. I'll say it again, if the core drain is super fast, what's the point in even having OT? Just go ahead and make OT last 5 seconds, both cores blow up with whatever health they have, ties still go to Blue as they always have. Just go ahead and get it over with and move on to the next round.

Doesn't make much sense to me to have fast core drain. If you want less punishment on maps like MTMU, then shorten the scoring to best 2 out of 3.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

captainsnarf wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:02 am It's good for fixing those matches where there is no chance of a comeback.

Bitches, listen up. There is always a chance to come back. So many give up too soon. I witnessed a match where GTKY was directing his team. They had a score of ZERO. Yes it can do that, before overtime, the counters didn't click all the way down. His team came back from that cliff and won the match. File that under "anything can happen".
Xexx

Post by Xexx »

Don't care for the faster core drain, really hate the mulligan. I am not going to be playing the same map again because the win was too fast and needs to disappear. I will spectate. Just make it start a new map, should be easy enough.

The game is 18 years old, there's no use in trying to change everything that got it this far.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Xexx wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:03 pm Don't care for the faster core drain, really hate the mulligan. I am not going to be playing the same map again because the win was too fast and needs to disappear. I will spectate. Just make it start a new map, should be easy enough.

The game is 18 years old, there's no use in trying to change everything that got it this far.
For once, I agree with Xexx... must mean the universe is about to implode.

Minus the mulligan, it doesn't bother me if the scoring is changed to best 2 out of 3. Otherwise it makes no sense to have it on. The point of the mulligan is to keep a map from been done and gone in less than 2 minutes and give the balancer a chance to get it right.
― Mark Twain
infinitecat

Post by infinitecat »

Xexx wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:03 pm Don't care for the faster core drain, really hate the mulligan. I am not going to be playing the same map again because the win was too fast and needs to disappear. I will spectate. Just make it start a new map, should be easy enough.

In 2004 this game had eight vehicles. Eight. Have you seen the full load-out lately?

The original game mechanism has been severely compromised by development of novel weaponry, especially one-shot node-killers.

(I'm an old table-top Battletech player. I saw the game harmed/ruined the same way when FASA developed new weapon systems but didn't improve rules for the physical environment.)

UT2004 is still a great game but it is what it is. My personal feeling is that no points should be awarded for kills (as it rewards selfishness) just node development (which rewards team-play and self-sacrifice). But we all know that if no one got points for kills no one would play. So here we are.