Thoughts on Faster Core Drain?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Thoughts on Faster Core Drain?

Post by captainsnarf »

The majority don't like the new change. I'd put it back just for that reason alone.

I know I initially complained but really just wanted to see what it was like with the balancer off, not necessarily changed. I remember the change team button working like how Tater described. One or two players changing was enough to fix the balance. It didn't take a whole shuffle, and I don't remember it being abused, but I wasn't admining either. It would be cool if the change team button worked, but only for top 10 on the server stats board. I think any of those players would do the right thing with the change team button. Since change team has been against the rules for so long I don't know if anybody would actually do it if it were allowed. It would take a while for people to learn to do it.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:43 pm The majority don't like the new change. I'd put it back just for that reason alone.

I know I initially complained but really just wanted to see what it was like with the balancer off, not necessarily changed. I remember the change team button working like how Tater described. One or two players changing was enough to fix the balance. It didn't take a whole shuffle, and I don't remember it being abused, but I wasn't admining either. It would be cool if the change team button worked, but only for top 10 on the server stats board. I think any of those players would do the right thing with the change team button. Since change team has been against the rules for so long I don't know if anybody would actually do it if it were allowed. It would take a while for people to learn to do it.
The Change Team button does work, but only if team numbers are imbalanced, i.e. 7 vs 8, but not when they're even numbered. We just can't have players unilaterally deciding to switch on their own, I've seen it and it leads to cries of unfairness and players leaving because of it. That said, admins have on many occasions switched ourselves or asked for a volunteer on a stacked team to switch for the sake of balance.

Most times some player will switch at admin request, sometimes they won't, but it should be only at admin request to do so. I always ask one of the top 3 or 4 players on a stacked winning team to switch, doesn't do much good for noobs to be switching around.

I personally have switched quite often, even when I'm reasonably sure the team I'm switching to will still get squashed. Always fun though when you're the only one who switches and then your team actually makes a game of it, and even sometimes comes back to win.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

So it seems most hate the fast core drain? Fine with me we can put it back like it was...

Mulligan? Its worked good on a rebalance...sure you get a wasted round...that's better than 2-3 rounds of no chance, IMO.

(I wish this forum software had polls).
Tater

Post by Tater »

What the forum needs is a lot more players from the server to join and provide input here too, probably have seen less than 10 different people here lol.
Gonna hop in if I find some free time this weekend, can't wait to see the new changes you guys have been up to :)
pooty

Post by pooty »

I liked it too, but when I logged on tonight...there was much complaining about it so I put it back to the old way. I also turned the Mulligan off.
Most liked the old way better...it will likely make for longer suffering...
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:52 pm So it seems most hate the fast core drain? Fine with me we can put it back like it was...

Mulligan? Its worked good on a rebalance...sure you get a wasted round...that's better than 2-3 rounds of no chance, IMO.

(I wish this forum software had polls).
We can do polls, I set one up each for match scoring, mulligan and OT core drain. FYI, the "Poll creation" tab is at the bottom when you create a new topic.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Enyo wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:47 pm ...
Changing to that format I think would also help with team balance, less people ditching the map because of "I'm not playing another round of this crap." How many times have you heard that... like every Dria match ever played.
Is it possible to make these changes per map, instead of universal for all maps. There are only a few maps that have these long-match problems where a mulligan or quicker core-drain would help.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Sadly,, no we can't do core drain or scoring per map, its one way for everything.

Unless there's a way to write a mutator to change it? But I don't think you can override those game settings.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

One bad thing about the mulligan - you are pretty much guaranteed a mulligan when the server crashes and you end up on 2fast2furious.
McLovin wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:53 am Is it possible to make these changes per map, instead of universal for all maps. There are only a few maps that have these long-match problems where a mulligan or quicker core-drain would help.
I think it could be done in a mutator, but it might make people mad too, for the game to score different depending on map.

MTMU with default node layout can get pretty long. "Only three more rounds!" as someone joked last night. It was randomizer so it went faster since node layout changed. I'd like to see a layout with three primaries.

Here is original (+10 & 11)

something like this?

I think we already have something like this in the randomizer but not exactly?

Or maybe this?
This moves 5 and 7 out of the alley and between the buildings instead. Where they are now, nobody goes for them anyway since they are so close to their base.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yes, FanF can be mulligan, but it only mulligans on first round...

I like MTMU change with the node between those buildings..can't spam 5/7 from way back behind the wall at 6 repeatedly...

I think next time I do a MTMU Randomizer, I move/add those and then put them in a couple of link layouts.