Nephthys

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Nephthys

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

I know this is a controversial vehicle, but perhaps this can get fixed too? Is there a way to make the gravity orb only affect enemies?

Also could it get some kind of buff? Either speed (to match it's hover-ness) or lots of HP (to match its armored look)? As it is, it's kind of a dud unless you can by some kind of miracle actually get it to a useful location, charge the weapon, and actually deploy the orb in a way that doesn't also swallow your teammates.

Maybe this tank could be an interesting curveball for the Deathdome map?
pooty

Re: Nephthys

Post by pooty »

Good idea. I'd like to see it faster. It would be nice to have the orb only effect enemies, but not sure it's possible. It'd be fun if it was fast and could go across the map and screw with the other team.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I have a bunch of stuff on my plate atm.

1. Guppy/Bomber needs fixes.
2. Bio Goo roll thing needs fixes.
3. I need to put a website together to host my stuff. My onedrive isn't cutting it
4. Trickboard needs testing online. It works for me and on my LAN but guppy did too, am worried it will have problems. I'm going to try adding a program that causes lag (that's the only real difference) in my LAN setup to see if I can replicate the issue with guppy. Then I can make sure trickboard is working ok online too without needing to always test online. That's a slow back and forth process.
5. I was working on a new mod 'Medivac' already :D

As soon as I get through it I can take a look at that one. Those seem like easy changes. Most of the work is copying the existing mod into a new mod. The tweaks are pretty small.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

captainsnarf wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:16 am I have a bunch of stuff on my plate atm.

1. Guppy/Bomber needs fixes.
2. Bio Goo roll thing needs fixes.
3. I need to put a website together to host my stuff. My onedrive isn't cutting it
4. Trickboard needs testing online. It works for me and on my LAN but guppy did too, am worried it will have problems. I'm going to try adding a program that causes lag (that's the only real difference) in my LAN setup to see if I can replicate the issue with guppy. Then I can make sure trickboard is working ok online too without needing to always test online. That's a slow back and forth process.
5. I was working on a new mod 'Medivac' already :D

As soon as I get through it I can take a look at that one. Those seem like easy changes. Most of the work is copying the existing mod into a new mod. The tweaks are pretty small.
It's all good. I think I speak for all of us we're just super thankful that you're willing to do any of this work at all.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:20 am
captainsnarf wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:16 am I have a bunch of stuff on my plate atm.
It's all good. I think I speak for all of us we're just super thankful that you're willing to do any of this work at all.
Exactly! Thank you for your efforts @captainsnarf. We've had some great mappers over the years, but they have all left the building and have gone dark.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I made some progress on this, only 21 compilation errors left to go lol

This one is a pain in the butt like basilisk. It's one of Wormbo's. Everything is stuffed into one file (I do that too) which makes it more difficult to unpack. There are multiple mods in that one file (odin, firebug, nephthys, nekomata) so if I import the package into a new mod it becomes needlessly big. I need to pick the pieces out which takes time.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Are you breaking it down into a seperate file? I did that with the raptors I am working on..so the Falcon, Starbolt, Omega, Ifrit all have their own package/file.
I wanted to fiddle with the Odin I think it should have more mobility and better main cannon.
I think its better if each vehicle has its own..easier to make changes down the road, and IMO, less conflicts..you can change subclasses (projectiles etc) without affecting other vehicles.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:05 am Are you breaking it down into a seperate file? I did that with the raptors I am working on..so the Falcon, Starbolt, Omega, Ifrit all have their own package/file.
I wanted to fiddle with the Odin I think it should have more mobility and better main cannon.
I think its better if each vehicle has its own..easier to make changes down the road, and IMO, less conflicts..you can change subclasses (projectiles etc) without affecting other vehicles.
Yeah, I try to make a single file/package for each mod. None of them really share anything so making separate content packages doesn't make sense.

It's all in 'WVHoverTank2.u' file. All the code, textures, sounds, meshes, animations is all there. It's 12MB. My guess, probably only 2MB is actual content for Nephthys. The rest is for the other mods like Odin. If you open that file in unrealed, you can extract some of the stuff like textures and sounds. One thing that never really works is extracting the meshes. To work around that, I copy the .u file to a new file e.g. CSMyModContext.u, then open that in unrealed and start deleting everything I don't need. That's what I did with hammerhead.

In the mod, in code you can do (assuming your mod is 'MyMod')

Code: Select all

#exec import file="CSMyModContent.u" package=MyMod
Then you can e.g. get at the mesh and textures using 'MyMod' for the name, e.g.

Code: Select all

//RedSkin=Shader'WVHoverTank.Nephthys.SomeShaderName'
RedSkin=Shader'MyMod.SomeShaderName'
Mesh=Mesh'MyMod.NekomataChassis'
The problem with doing this is *everything* in 'CSMyModContent' ends up in your package. My repackaged .u file will be at least 12MB unless I start deleting stuff from the file i'm importing from. That's hard because you get 'error mesh in use' etc. You have to also find the Actor class in the browser for each vehicle and clear out default properties for e.g. mesh and skins so you can then delete the mesh or skin from package. it's a pita.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Good point.
I often will leverage the other "existing" packages, even stuff like Gorz_Raptors, or WVThisorThat. Basically I know it doesn't necessarily make them "standalone" mods, which somewhat bugs me from a pure coding perspsective; BUT given that its been Omni's policy in the past and I expect to continue keep any existing mods on the server/redirect. I like to keep the Textures in separate file, and most of the vehicles I've done use stock meshes (except the Mobreaker which leverage the Lobreaker mesh AFAIK).

If it was 2006, I'd say make sure its standalone consumable, but given there's only like 4 active ONS servers..doesn't matter much..my first concern is making Omni more fun with less work.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:08 pm If it was 2006, I'd say make sure its standalone consumable, but given there's only like 4 active ONS servers..doesn't matter much..my first concern is making Omni more fun with less work.
This is a good point. I think for this mod I'll just make it depend on the original (instead of trying to import the original). That makes this much easier.