Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Next Map Edits for October 2021..

Post by pooty »

So next round of map edits is mostly clean up:
- Tweak of Halloween for the season
- Updating all the Randomizers, to use CSRandomizer so that it gets all the Badger Fixes, CS Vehicle Fixes.
Snarf, wouldn't it be easier to just update the existing vehicle list vs using the other Actor?
Any vehicles you want in or out on any of the Randomizers chime in
We have
Minus-TMU-Randomizer - Mostly Tank Focused, only flyers are HH, Dragon
Minus-TMU-KitchenSink - Pretty much any vehicle I could find
Dria-Randomizer - Mixed bag, but several different flyers as well
DJY - Mostly Tank Focused, Flyers are fixed, except for the random Raptor
AJY - Mixed bag, but several different flyers as well

Most if they use the Predator, et.al use the updated CSapverv which have been tweaked.
Even some of the OP vehicles - Mirage Vulture, Venom MKII etc, IMO are fine since there's often other OP vehicles to counter.
captainsnarf

Re: Next Map Edits for October 2021..

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:33 am So next round of map edits is mostly clean up:
- Tweak of Halloween for the season
- Updating all the Randomizers, to use CSRandomizer so that it gets all the Badger Fixes, CS Vehicle Fixes.
Snarf, wouldn't it be easier to just update the existing vehicle list vs using the other Actor?
If you are making a new map you should just update the vehicle list to use the fixed 'cs' versions. 'CSRandomizer' was probably a bad idea since I don't think it can work to fix the map embedded randomizers. It can, but only for new maps, but if you are doing that, just use the fixed vehicles.

Something like:

Code: Select all

function bool CheckReplacement(Actor other, out byte bSuperRelevant)
{
    if(ONSRandomizer(other) != None)
    {
        if(ONSRandomizer(other).VehicleList[0].VehicleClass.name == 'HammerHead')
            ONSRandomizer(other).VehicleList[0].VehicleClass = class'CSHammerhead';
    }
}
This won't compile for me since the compiler doesn't know what 'ONSRandomizer'' is. Even if I had the .u file, I don't believe it would match the version in the map.

The best the vehicle fix mutator could do is destroy() the other randomizer and spawn a new csrandomizer in its place, but I wouldn't know what to to put in the vehicle lists.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I figured the easiest way was to do a copy (Ctrl-C) of the Randomizer Actor, paste it into a Text Editor, change all the Classes to the appropriate CS<vehicle> and paste it back in. Or I could just reselect the Vehicles, but sometimes when the names conflict, loading the package won't allow me to pick it from the list: I've seen where the vehicle picklist ends up with two entries for say FireTank, but both end up pointing to myLevel instead of FireVehiclesV2Omni.FireTank -- I think this is a side effect of the Class Name Space. I probably should have put the V2 in the Vehicle Names -- lesson learned for next time.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Any new map requests?
I am working on a couple of things now that the Randomizers and Halloween have been updated.

1. SilvaBETA - This has the tall trees. Right now its one of the least played and has all stock type vehicles. Going to give it an update with some better flyers and some better ground vehicles.
2. Updated Version of Opera House. This is been a longer term edit, as I've expanded the play area, but still need to work on node placement/layout and vehicles. Some places will be inaccessible to tanks, but maybe not smaller vehicles. Might be a good one for BattleBikes and or some of the TD Warfare vehicles.
3. Now that most of the flyers are done, I want to work on the updated/expanded version of Slated that Lagzilla started. The map itself I think is done, but needs vehicles.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

If we're doing requests:

ClassicEvilDead with only scorpion variants to give it a bumper cars vibe. I think it'd work well with the flat floor and random jumps. Mainly Tarantulas and EONS scorp because they're fast.

MagicIsle with the "two cores" idea we talked about a while before. I can find the thread if you like. Make the core only have stationary turrets and a heliux or two (to transport to node 10). Node 10 spawns the jackpot of vehicles, mostly flyers. The start of a match is won by the team that can pack a Heliux full of people and get to 10, and the end of a match is decided on whether the core can be defended (with turrets etc) by the team who just lost their primary. If this makes no sense I can try to explain it better.

TorlanOmni-fied. Keep stock torlan on the server, but make a light Omni edit with full lockers and beefing up each vehicle with an Omni version as a replacement. I don't think it should get loaded up with shield tanks and cicadas and random stuff though as that might throw off how the map is played.

ONS-RoadRage, did this map make it from the old forums?

TanksALot Randomizer ??? Maybe this would work? I dont know, maybe it'd be terrible.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

SlatedWorld and AirMars with some CSBomber/Guppy and ejector seat
AJ but replace levi with pallas
MinusSpankMeUp - spankers and trickboards

Edit the music to 2Fast2Furious and prefix it with this :mrgreen:
pooty

Post by pooty »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:50 pm If we're doing requests:

ClassicEvilDead with only scorpion variants to give it a bumper cars vibe. I think it'd work well with the flat floor and random jumps. Mainly Tarantulas and EONS scorp because they're fast.
This could be good. No flyers. Scorps, and maybe a Truck or two (BattleBender with Shield might be good here).
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:50 pm MagicIsle with the "two cores" idea we talked about a while before. I can find the thread if you like. Make the core only have stationary turrets and a heliux or two (to transport to node 10). Node 10 spawns the jackpot of vehicles, mostly flyers. The start of a match is won by the team that can pack a Heliux full of people and get to 10, and the end of a match is decided on whether the core can be defended (with turrets etc) by the team who just lost their primary. If this makes no sense I can try to explain it better.
Yes, I remember, trick is to make it at least possible to retake the "second core", or the "vehicle primary" if you will. I think the key will be to create it in such a way that fully manned core turrets can decimate the enemy to the point where you can retake the node.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:50 pm TorlanOmni-fied. Keep stock torlan on the server, but make a light Omni edit with full lockers and beefing up each vehicle with an Omni version as a replacement. I don't think it should get loaded up with shield tanks and cicadas and random stuff though as that might throw off how the map is played.
Balance here might be hard. Even something like GII would be pretty effective.,,
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:50 pm ONS-RoadRage, did this map make it from the old forums?
Yes, I have it. I started to do some clean up on it a while back. I'll have to pull it out, might be good as its a new map we've never played... if I remember it still needed some work on edges/blocking volumes, and node placement as well as vehicles and lockers.

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:50 pm TanksALot Randomizer ??? Maybe this would work? I dont know, maybe it'd be terrible.
Maybe, the one thing I was thinking is making an edit to this, there's an area above the 3/7 primary and it might be cool to somehow get that in play, maybe a tunnel to the top and maybe a catwalk or something over 5? This would be an additional version, as the two that are on there now are pretty popular and no plans to remove them.

WRT to Slated, the newer version would have the newer vehicles, like the Bomber Guppy, Starbolt, etc.

I could change AJY Randomizer to have the PallasV2 as fixed MAS instead of the Kraken.

For the most part I don't want to change/remove any of the popular maps DJY, AJY, TALx2, MB, AH, NVM. Etc. However they might see some updates with the newer vehicles that aren't covered by the CS BadgerFix/Vehicle Pack.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:50 pm MagicIsle with the "two cores" idea we talked about a while before. I can find the thread if you like. Make the core only have stationary turrets and a heliux or two (to transport to node 10). Node 10 spawns the jackpot of vehicles, mostly flyers. The start of a match is won by the team that can pack a Heliux full of people and get to 10, and the end of a match is decided on whether the core can be defended (with turrets etc) by the team who just lost their primary. If this makes no sense I can try to explain it better.
Yes, I remember, trick is to make it at least possible to retake the "second core", or the "vehicle primary" if you will. I think the key will be to create it in such a way that fully manned core turrets can decimate the enemy to the point where you can retake the node.
In my head I kind of see it is two moments happening:

1) Start of the match, team piles into your heliux and fly to 10/3 to get the vehicle node started before the other team does. Once the game is going, the core is pretty much a useless area as it only spawns the heliux and an array of stationary turrets.

2) Your team is losing, and the enemy has taken your 10/3 node (cores should probably only connect to those nodes as well) and all you can do at this point is slow them from attacking your core with turrets (laser, minigun, ion cannon) as they come over the hills. I suppose you could attempt to take the primary back with your heliux but you'd really have to coordinate. This part is intentionally hard to come back from as the comeback should have been mounted from 10/3 earlier, this core defense moment is just last ditch.

Other than this the map can play out normally (hopefully). Maybe this won't play out well with the new core drain situation, I dont know.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:50 pm TanksALot Randomizer ??? Maybe this would work? I dont know, maybe it'd be terrible.
Maybe, the one thing I was thinking is making an edit to this, there's an area above the 3/7 primary and it might be cool to somehow get that in play, maybe a tunnel to the top and maybe a catwalk or something over 5? This would be an additional version, as the two that are on there now are pretty popular and no plans to remove them.
Yeah it's hard to mess with a map that already works really well. I believe there is also a roof area at the center.