Gator

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Gator

Post by Enyo »

This was mentioned long ago on the old forum, but could we make the Gator so it can go thru water at its normal speed. There's a version of the gator that can go in water, I think on Nevermore, but it slows to a crawl, so there's no point in being able to go in the water. It would be cool and make more sense if the Gator could swim, but the physics should definitely reflect that you're in water and not be able to turn on a dime like on land.

Then you could do a new AlienHop-Tropical that has some water between then high areas. Put in some land bridges so the Mino can still get around, but is more restricted on movement with the water. And the Gator would become much stealthier and dynamic if it could navigate the canals.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Re: Gator

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Enyo wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:52 am
Then you could do a new AlienHop-Tropical that has some water between then high areas. Put in some land bridges so the Mino can still get around, but is more restricted on movement with the water. And the Gator would become much stealthier and dynamic if it could navigate the canals.
This would just be ONS-IslandHop which is an original map, so I think it'd be an easy add to the server. https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/ONS-IslandHop AlienHop is a mod. The vehicle rollout would probably need an edit to have the bridges make sense. Maybe have no flyers so people are forced to work with the layout?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Gator is already in the vehicle pack so it should be pretty quick to update it.
pooty

Post by pooty »

+1 Water Gator. There's also Boats (they are Igazu right now) for water travel.
And special request from Spoon! he wanted the horn to quack like a duck.

There's a couple other maps in the library that have water where Alligator could be fun. Or even a version of Minus with the Trenches flooded.
Looks like the node layout is different in IslandHop though. Probably easier to add water to AlienHop and paste in bridges as needed.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Ok, here it is! CSVehiclePack_1.0.7.zip

Changes:

- Make Alligator work underwater
- Quack horn for Alligator
- Fix 'in a Leviathan' vehicle name for levi (oops)

* files changed from 1.0.6 are CSAlligator.u, CSLeviathan.u, CSVehiclePack.u
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:11 pm Ok, here it is! CSVehiclePack_1.0.7.zip

Changes:

- Make Alligator work underwater
- Quack horn for Alligator
- Fix 'in a Leviathan' vehicle name for levi (oops)

* files changed from 1.0.6 are CSAlligator.u, CSLeviathan.u, CSVehiclePack.u
Sweet! Does it float or go underwater? Now I'm being greedy... is there a way to make it do both? Maybe use jump and duck keys to go up and down in deeper water?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Enyo wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:30 pm Sweet! Does it float or go underwater? Now I'm being greedy... is there a way to make it do both? Maybe use jump and duck keys to go up and down in deeper water?
It goes underwater and pretty much ignores water with no slow down.

Making it do both would be a bit more work. Seems simple enough but then there's going to be netcode and testing. I could probably do it but are there a lot of maps with water? Seems like it wouldn't be used very much.
pooty

Post by pooty »

That is it travels on the bottom.
I don't think we have too many maps with water.
Maps with water, DesertedSands, Nevermore, NiVa Valley (deep water so likely not good there..), omaha beach (not that it matters much),

And sometimes the "water" isn't always just water. Sometimes its slime (like on Halloween), acid or lava, not sure how the gator works with that. And often in combination with Water there's "Pressure volumes" that do pressure damage usually on a few maps with deeper water (eg. Near the nuke island on DesertedSands).

Maybe it'd be better if it didnt' sink, maybe sink about half way and then stop and move normally...like swimming half submerged like a real gator, instead of sinking. Although depth control would be cool.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Ok, here ya go! CSVehiclePack_1.0.8.zip

Changes

- Make alligator sink/float based on jump/crouch

I admit, I thought it would be harder :)
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:48 pm Ok, here ya go! CSVehiclePack_1.0.8.zip

Changes

- Make alligator sink/float based on jump/crouch

I admit, I thought it would be harder :)
Now, that's what I'm talking about! Riding on the bottom of water areas would not be super useful honestly, and you'd probably just get the Gator stuck. I'm thinking on maps like Nevermore, you could have the gator just below the surface of the water, then pop up for a surprise attack. Or, you could just coast across the top of the water. Hell yeah, can't wait to try it out!
― Mark Twain