DowntownXL

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

DowntownXL

Post by pooty »

Looking for feedback on DowntownXL. BattleBike issues aside, thoughts on the map? I expanded it a bit with the node layout so that there's multiple ways to get to the core. If people like it I'll remove the bikes, tweak the vehicles a bit. Any ideas for vehicles other than scorps and maybe another Truck.
captainsnarf

Re: DowntownXL

Post by captainsnarf »

It's nice to have a new map :)

Fewer nodes maybe? Make the primaries connected like masterbath. It will be interesting once people find the link nukes. Not too many OP vehicles pls. I think I saw an ion battlebike lol. Maybe put a SSR in the middle somewhere or whatever to keep the map more DM friendly.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I added the middle side nodes..because previously 5/6 became the only nodes that matter. But might work the other way with fewer and not make the center a choke point.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So I did remove the buggy battle bikes (they are on Meadowland if we want to play test them on a map without all the buildings/meshes.
I don't think we've actually played the non battle bike version... I think it will play a bit better...should be a good mix of vehicles or foot. This map can work very well for our sneaky types (Roger, Terminator) or foot battlers.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:55 am So I did remove the buggy battle bikes (they are on Meadowland if we want to play test them on a map without all the buildings/meshes.
I don't think we've actually played the non battle bike version... I think it will play a bit better...should be a good mix of vehicles or foot. This map can work very well for our sneaky types (Roger, Terminator) or foot battlers.
Biggest downside to this map is the slightly hidden nodes underground. A lot of the 15 year noobs can't find them and the balancer always seems to put them on the same team when this map gets played.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

The ones where the tank is (those are inside a building) or the side ones also inside buildings. I don't think there's any real underground other than being enclosed by a building -- maybe that is hard for the tank jockeys to find.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:29 pm The ones where the tank is (those are inside a building) or the side ones also inside buildings. I don't think there's any real underground other than being enclosed by a building -- maybe that is hard for the tank jockeys to find.
Right, they're down ramps under buildings. I think the middle nodes look like a subway, so yeah, that's underground, sorta.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

I finally got to play it tonight. If it were up to me, I'd dramatically simplify the node layout. Like down to "take the east street or take the west street" with maybe one cutoff somewhere. That way everyone is forced to battle down one of two long streets. I think with the current setup, you spend a lot of your time trying to traverse paths that don't exist.

With this literally being an urban setup, I think we should go the "urban planning" route and make the routes what the city streets want them to be, and what is easy to understand without even looking at the HUD.

Also, Tater brought this up and I kind of agree with him but it seems to have too many mantas, the ceiling is so low for them anyway. Maybe just more hellbenders and tanks, or nothing? Maybe it doesn't need to be packed with vehicles either.

I thought the Odin was an odd choice but as I was using it I thought it was cool.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:12 pm Also, Tater brought this up and I kind of agree with him but it seems to have too many mantas, the ceiling is so low for them anyway. Maybe just more hellbenders and tanks, or nothing? Maybe it doesn't need to be packed with vehicles either.
I hope that's not a suggestion taken seriously for this map, it's way too big to be reducing vehicles on it. Remove the mantas and other fast moving vehicles and watch this map clear the server next time it's voted.
― Mark Twain
Tater

Post by Tater »

Enyo wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:22 am
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:12 pm Also, Tater brought this up and I kind of agree with him but it seems to have too many mantas, the ceiling is so low for them anyway. Maybe just more hellbenders and tanks, or nothing? Maybe it doesn't need to be packed with vehicles either.
I hope that's not a suggestion taken seriously for this map, it's way too big to be reducing vehicles on it. Remove the mantas and other fast moving vehicles and watch this map clear the server next time it's voted.
The map isn't that large, and I died to Leon and others in a manta more times than I saw other players.
You're more likely thinking of Abandoned City, it has the same feel as Downtown but is significantly bigger, we played it a few days ago.
Snarf was saying on downtown they replaced all bikes with mantas, and when many of the lockers don't have avrils it became very frustrating lol.
It seemed like way too many vehicles packed into a tight space, and the king hellhound 2nd seat is pretty op on that map, couldn't imagine how devastating it would be with a driver and gunner.